Barrels to engine case - sealant or gasket?

Old May 29th 07, 01:23 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Howard Rose[_1_]

Default Barrels to engine case - sealant or gasket?

The engine top-end rebuild is coming along nicely now, mostly
assembled and pistons attached. Also repainted the tinware :-)

When putting the barrels on, I have heard two ways to seal them to the
engine case. The first is to use the round paper gaskets (as were on
this engine before I tore it apart), whereas others recommend to use
only sealant and no gasket.

Which is the recommended way? If sealant, what type to use? I have a
tube of 'Blue Hylomar' which I have used on various things before.
Suitable?

Old May 29th 07, 01:41 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Speedy Jim

Howard Rose wrote:

> The engine top-end rebuild is coming along nicely now, mostly
> assembled and pistons attached. Also repainted the tinware :-)
>
> When putting the barrels on, I have heard two ways to seal them to the
> engine case. The first is to use the round paper gaskets (as were on
> this engine before I tore it apart), whereas others recommend to use
> only sealant and no gasket.
>
> Which is the recommended way? If sealant, what type to use? I have a
> tube of 'Blue Hylomar' which I have used on various things before.
> Suitable?

I am all for the sealants.

Leaving out the paper may increase compression
(slightly). If that's a concern, use the paper
but smear both sides with the sealant. Belt and braces...

Speedy Jim
http://www.nls.net/mp/volks/

Old May 29th 07, 01:47 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Jan

Howard Rose wrote:
> The engine top-end rebuild is coming along nicely now, mostly
> assembled and pistons attached. Also repainted the tinware :-)
>
> When putting the barrels on, I have heard two ways to seal them to the
> engine case. The first is to use the round paper gaskets (as were on
> this engine before I tore it apart), whereas others recommend to use
> only sealant and no gasket.
>
> Which is the recommended way? If sealant, what type to use? I have a
> tube of 'Blue Hylomar' which I have used on various things before.
> Suitable?

The paper and glue both add thickness to the sealing area, changing the
deck height. Which in turn changes the compression ratio a little.
That said, they all need to be EVEN.

I don't like using the paper gaskets, because I would use them WITH
sealant. The sealant makes them slippery, and when torquing the heads
down, they can slip out of place and cause a leak.

Blue hylomar is ok to use here, I would use just that, and follow the
instructions. I used iut myself in my early days, until I found
something better. (Mahle cylinder sealant).

Do not use Hylomar in the head side of the cylinder. You shouldn't need
anything there, if the surfaces are true and smooth. Just metal against
metal. I sometimes use that Mahle sealant there too however, a very
faint little coat.

Jan
Old May 29th 07, 08:46 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
[email protected]

> Do not use Hylomar in the head side of the cylinder. You shouldn't
> need anything there, if the surfaces are true and smooth. Just
> metal against metal. I sometimes use that Mahle sealant there too
> however, a very faint little coat.
> Jan

Ever spin the cylinders in the head with valve grinding compound?

better seal?
check the seal?

Mostly takes very little then ever'once in a while, "whoa, this
head's a mess". Save the crappy heads for the dune buggies.

Alvin in AZ
Old May 29th 07, 11:09 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Howard Rose[_1_]

Thanks for the replies! Sealant and no gasket it is then.

I also noticed that there are some metal rings in the cylinder heads
where the barrels join. Are these standard? I can't find any
reference to them in the manual.

Old May 29th 07, 12:57 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
dave AKA vwdoc1

I have used the valve grinding compound too which works well if needed.
Then before the tin goes back on I leakdown test each cylinder to check for
leakage at the cylinder-head seal.
I have caught a few leakers that way and use the compound to cure it! ;-)
--
later,
dave

Old May 29th 07, 09:36 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Karl

What engine do you have? Type 4's have head gaskets, but VW said to discard them and add shims to
the bottom.

ups.com...

Old May 29th 07, 10:34 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Speedy Jim

Karl wrote:

> What engine do you have? Type 4's have head gaskets, but VW said to discard them and add shims to
> the bottom.
>

> "Howard Rose" > wrote in message
> ups.com...
>
>>Thanks for the replies! Sealant and no gasket it is then.
>>
>>I also noticed that there are some metal rings in the cylinder heads
>>where the barrels join. Are these standard? I can't find any
>>reference to them in the manual.

There were aftermarket head rings which were
used to lower compression on Type 1 engines.

Jim
Old May 30th 07, 01:32 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
dave AKA vwdoc1

I thought some of the early 6 volt Type 1 engines had these cylinder to head
gaskets too? I forget though. ;-)

I remember seeing these metal gaskets being sold with the cylinder heads
from Topline about 30 years ago. The gaskets were to reduce the compression
ratio in their remanufactured heads.