Engine dies at low RPM

Old September 24th 07, 11:15 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Howard Rose[_1_]

Default Engine dies at low RPM

Hi RAMVA!

I have FINALLY just fitted the engine back into my 1975 1303 after a
top-end overhaul (AR-code 1300 upgraded to 1584cc with new B&P's with
a 34PICT carb/manifold) which I did myself.

When the engine runs it does so but only at a high RPM (when the choke
is on). When the revs drop (say at a junction or when the choke is
off) the engine stalls.

I haven't touched the carb yet, so it may need tuning to suit the
'new' engine, although it ran ok on the old one. Would this be the
carb, or likely something else?

Cheers in advance :-D

Howard

Old September 25th 07, 08:53 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
A Veteran

In article om>,
Howard Rose > wrote:

> Hi RAMVA!
>
> I have FINALLY just fitted the engine back into my 1975 1303 after a
> top-end overhaul (AR-code 1300 upgraded to 1584cc with new B&P's with
> a 34PICT carb/manifold) which I did myself.
>
> When the engine runs it does so but only at a high RPM (when the choke
> is on). When the revs drop (say at a junction or when the choke is
> off) the engine stalls.
>
> I haven't touched the carb yet, so it may need tuning to suit the
> 'new' engine, although it ran ok on the old one. Would this be the
> carb, or likely something else?
>
> Cheers in advance :-D
>
> Howard

check for manifold air leaks. vacuum.
Idle jet.
and dirt in the idle circuit. and there are adjustments.
good luck.

--
when you believe the only tool you have is a hammer.
All problems look like nails.
Old September 25th 07, 09:11 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Tricky

A Veteran wrote:
> In article om>,
> Howard Rose > wrote:
>
>> Hi RAMVA!
>>
>> I have FINALLY just fitted the engine back into my 1975 1303 after a
>> top-end overhaul (AR-code 1300 upgraded to 1584cc with new B&P's with
>> a 34PICT carb/manifold) which I did myself.
>>
>> When the engine runs it does so but only at a high RPM (when the choke
>> is on). When the revs drop (say at a junction or when the choke is
>> off) the engine stalls.
>>
>> I haven't touched the carb yet, so it may need tuning to suit the
>> 'new' engine, although it ran ok on the old one. Would this be the
>> carb, or likely something else?
>>
>> Cheers in advance :-D
>>
>> Howard

> check for manifold air leaks. vacuum.
> Idle jet.
> and dirt in the idle circuit. and there are adjustments.
> good luck.

Hi Howard - see you've come here as VZi is down again !

I just had the same with my 68 bay

I parked it up a couple of months ago - running fine

Came to move it the other day -, same symptoms as tours - I took the
carb off. Cleaned the bowl, took the jets out and blew through all the
air ways with the air gun - sorted it a treat

Good luck

Rich
Old September 26th 07, 08:41 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
juperwort

On 25 Sep, 21:11, Tricky > wrote:
> A Veteran wrote:
> > In article om>,
> > Howard Rose > wrote:

> >> HiRAMVA!

> >> I have FINALLY just fitted the engine back into my 1975 1303 after a
> >> top-end overhaul (AR-code 1300 upgraded to 1584cc with new B&P's with
> >> a 34PICT carb/manifold) which I did myself.

> >> When the engine runs it does so but only at a high RPM (when the choke
> >> is on). When the revs drop (say at a junction or when the choke is
> >> off) the engine stalls.

> >> I haven't touched the carb yet, so it may need tuning to suit the
> >> 'new' engine, although it ran ok on the old one. Would this be the
> >> carb, or likely something else?

> >> Cheers in advance :-D

> >> Howard

> > check for manifold air leaks. vacuum.
> > Idle jet.
> > and dirt in the idle circuit. and there are adjustments.
> > good luck.

> Hi Howard - see you've come here as VZi is down again !
>
> I just had the same with my 68 bay
>
> I parked it up a couple of months ago - running fine
>
> Came to move it the other day -, same symptoms as tours - I took the
> carb off. Cleaned the bowl, took the jets out and blew through all the
> air ways with the air gun - sorted it a treat
>
> Good luck
>
> Rich

Hey there, thought I would visit. No real advice, JK down as well.
meant to be back today..

James

Old September 27th 07, 12:10 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Tricky

juperwort wrote:
> On 25 Sep, 21:11, Tricky > wrote:
>> A Veteran wrote:
>>> check for manifold air leaks. vacuum.
>>> Idle jet.
>>> and dirt in the idle circuit. and there are adjustments.
>>> good luck.

>> Hi Howard - see you've come here as VZi is down again !
>>
>> I just had the same with my 68 bay
>>
>> I parked it up a couple of months ago - running fine
>>
>> Came to move it the other day -, same symptoms as tours - I took the
>> carb off. Cleaned the bowl, took the jets out and blew through all the
>> air ways with the air gun - sorted it a treat
>>
>> Good luck
>>
>> Rich

> Hey there, thought I would visit. No real advice, JK down as well.
> meant to be back today..
>
> James

Hi James - How you doing long time no see n all that.

I think JK and VZi were on the same server or somthing ? I guess
they'll be back soon

Take care

Rich