Leaking valve cover gasket q.

Old April 22nd 09, 09:57 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
1 who waits

Default Leaking valve cover gasket q.

I just did another valve adjustment and the new gasket leaked. What is
the best way to ensure it won't leak.
soak the gasket first, buy other than cork ? any ideas, group?
--
It's amazing what you can do. If...
you put your mind to it.
Old April 23rd 09, 12:35 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
[email protected]

Make sure the ends of the bails are in their holes.
Sometimes they pop out.

My valve covers were leaking, even with new gaskets.
I got new bails and the leaks went away.
New bails will be a close fit and are somewhat difficult to move into
position onto the valve cover.
I think I got mine at

http://aircooled.net/ or

http://www.cip1.com/ .

I also got a spare set of valve covers to make replacement faster when
it is paint the covers and or replace the gaskets time.
I here cork gaskets are best.
I have been using the rubber coated cork gaskets.
Here’s a good link on engine oil leaks:

http://www.vw-resource.com/oil_leakage.html#covers

It covers about everything except the transmission main shaft seal,
and a loose back-up light switch.

Old April 23rd 09, 01:42 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Bill Spiliotopoulos

You can bend the end of the bails inwards, to increae the pressure that put
on the cover.
This will stop the leaks from the covers. I don't like to use any sealant.

Bill Spiliotopoulos,
'67 Bug.

Ο "1 who waits" > έγραψε στο μήνυμα

Old April 23rd 09, 02:35 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Funkie

Don't know the history here but just in case, use original valve covers and
not the empi aftermarket aluminum ones despite how good they look. The oem
steel covers seem to seal the best. I had this problem a long time ago and
took it to an old school VW mechanic who fixed the problem in about 5
minutes by swapping out my aftermarket covers.

--
DAN MEDINA

Old April 23rd 09, 03:32 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Jan Andersson[_4_]

Funkie wrote:
> Don't know the history here but just in case, use original valve covers and
> not the empi aftermarket aluminum ones despite how good they look. The oem
> steel covers seem to seal the best. I had this problem a long time ago and
> took it to an old school VW mechanic who fixed the problem in about 5
> minutes by swapping out my aftermarket covers.

been there, done that too! I fully agree.
Old April 23rd 09, 04:00 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
[email protected]

On Apr 22, 7:32*pm, Jan Andersson >
wrote:
> Funkie wrote:
> > Don't know the history here but just in case, use original valve covers and
> > not the empi aftermarket aluminum ones despite how good they look. The oem
> > steel covers seem to seal the best. I had this problem a long time ago and
> > took it to an old school VW mechanic who fixed the problem in about 5
> > minutes by swapping out my aftermarket covers.

> been there, done that too! I fully agree.

Me three, back to original valve covers, I switched over to these:
http://www.realgaskets.com/files/aut...htm#volkswagen
Very happy with them although they did not fix my leak, it was the
bails, second bending the bails if that fixes it new ones are in
order, pretty cheap, less than 5 bucks a piece if I recall correctly,
cheap fix for pesky valve cover leaks. I am going to switch to the
silicone oil screen gasket also on my stroker.
Darrell

Old April 23rd 09, 05:44 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
1 who waits

In article
wrote:

> On Apr 22, 7:32*pm, Jan Andersson >
> wrote:
> > Funkie wrote:
> > > Don't know the history here but just in case, use original valve covers
> > > and
> > > not the empi aftermarket aluminum ones despite how good they look. The
> > > oem
> > > steel covers seem to seal the best. I had this problem a long time ago
> > > and
> > > took it to an old school VW mechanic who fixed the problem in about 5
> > > minutes by swapping out my aftermarket covers.

> > been there, done that too! I fully agree.

> Me three, back to original valve covers, I switched over to these:

http://www.realgaskets.com/files/aut...htm#volkswagen
> Very happy with them although they did not fix my leak, it was the
> bails, second bending the bails if that fixes it new ones are in
> order, pretty cheap, less than 5 bucks a piece if I recall correctly,
> cheap fix for pesky valve cover leaks. I am going to switch to the
> silicone oil screen gasket also on my stroker.
> Darrell

thanks, guys for the input.
The bails sure seemed tight. I'm thinking since the gaskets were so think
that after a coupla heating cycles they will "settle" in. and don't we
all like a problem that fixes itself.
thanks again. g.
Old April 23rd 09, 10:49 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Jan[_5_]

1 who waits wrote:
> I just did another valve adjustment and the new gasket leaked. What is
> the best way to ensure it won't leak.
> soak the gasket first, buy other than cork ? any ideas, group?

I have used rubber impregnated cork.
Clean and de-grease all surfaces, then glue the gasket onto the cover
and let dry. Install either with nothing on teh head side, or a thin
coat of vaseline. Make sure the valve cover bails are ok and provide
good tension. Buy new bails if in doubt. Also try to see if the covers
are warped.
Old April 23rd 09, 12:59 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
P.J.Berg[_3_]

On Thu, 23 Apr 2009 05:00:51 +0200, > wrote:

> On Apr 22, 7:32 pm, Jan Andersson >
> wrote:
>> Funkie wrote:
>> > Don't know the history here but just in case, use original valve

>> covers and
>> > not the empi aftermarket aluminum ones despite how good they look.

>> The oem
>> > steel covers seem to seal the best. I had this problem a long time

>> ago and
>> > took it to an old school VW mechanic who fixed the problem in about 5
>> > minutes by swapping out my aftermarket covers.

>> been there, done that too! I fully agree.

> Me three, back to original valve covers, I switched over to these:
> http://www.realgaskets.com/files/aut...htm#volkswagen

The text in the link states: '(FITS ALL VW 4-CYL AIR-COOLED ENGINES)'.
This is not true. They do not fit the 30hp(36SAE) and older engines, not entirely sure of the brake-off date.

J.

Old April 23rd 09, 04:46 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Bob Hoover

ASSUMING... the use of stock valve covers and gaskets, tool marks on
the valve gallery sealing surface are the most common cause for
symptoms of a persistent leak. SOP is to check the sealing surfaces.
If not perfectly smooth, they should be dressed with a single-cut
file. Both edges of the sealing surface should have a slight
chamfer.

The gasket is glued to the cover using gasket shellac or similar.

The sealing surface receives a light coating of grease; no sealant of
any kind.

Trial-fit the valve cover to ensure there is no casting flash or other
obstruction that might cause the valve cover to be held out of
position when the bail is put in place.

-Bob Hoover