Noise at slow turns

Old May 31st 05, 06:11 PM
Ct Midnite

Default Noise at slow turns

1991 325 I convertible

At very slow turns my car make a noise I would describe as a rubbing
sound. At first that's what I thought was happening but I couldn't
figure out what would be rubbing.

Then I remembered my 4 wheel drive pickup makes a terrible racket when
I turn in 4 wheel at slow speeds because of the locked up
differential. It tells you not to turn short right in the manual.

Does the BMW have some sort of possi traction rear end that would make
that noise? Speed up slightly and there is no noise at all.

We spent 4 hrs out driving around yesterday with the top down. What a
sunburn. I'll remember next time.

Old May 31st 05, 07:55 PM
Jeff Strickland

My first guess is that you are hearing a wheel bearing.

Old June 1st 05, 04:02 AM
Doug Vetter

Ct Midnite wrote:
> 1991 325 I convertible
>
> At very slow turns my car make a noise I would describe as a rubbing
> sound. At first that's what I thought was happening but I couldn't
> figure out what would be rubbing.

Most likely one of:

- tires near end of life
- wheel bearing
- differential problem

Don't discount the tires. My E36 was doing this recently...until I
replaced the tires.

Can't remember when BMW stopped putting posi rears in the cars in favor
of traction control, but I know the latter became standard on the E36 in
1998.

-Doug

--
Doug Vetter, CFIMEIA