Rebuild Trans

Old April 15th 04, 05:31 PM
David J and Lynne J Shepherd

Default Rebuild Trans

I think you would find 1k on the unlikely low side.

Old April 15th 04, 06:32 PM
James BIGFOOT Holloway

what bout if u go to a junk yard to just take 1 off another truck? will save
u lots

Old April 15th 04, 06:32 PM
James BIGFOOT Holloway

Old April 15th 04, 07:03 PM
James BIGFOOT Holloway

It will cost u a lot less to do it this way then to re build ur gearbox.
Even if u got somebody to take it off for you.

Old April 15th 04, 07:03 PM
James BIGFOOT Holloway

Old April 15th 04, 10:01 PM
James BIGFOOT Holloway

hello
what bout if u get a 4x4 mag? and have a look around the adverts? Somebody
must sell them second hand witha guaranteed??

Old April 15th 04, 10:01 PM
James BIGFOOT Holloway

Old April 15th 04, 10:24 PM
David J and Lynne J Shepherd

Stacey, up here in NY all the salvage yards give at least a 30 day guaranty
on drive train parts, but you still don't know if it is bad, the diff could
be the problem especially with the evidence of metal in the unit, if this is
from the spider gears, it would not move at times like you experienced.

Old April 15th 04, 10:24 PM
David J and Lynne J Shepherd

Old April 16th 04, 12:26 AM
David J and Lynne J Shepherd

I would pull the diff and take a good look at it, especially with the
evidence of metal in it, this is not a big deal, then all the conjecture
about what might be wrong will be cleared up. Worst case it is bad, you get
a used one and have the ring and pinion replaced in that one, matching the
front diff gears, the ratio will be marked on the ring gear or can be
figured by counting the ring gear teeth and dividing them by the number of
gears on the pinion. I still think it is too concidental that you would have
a bad trans and diff at the same time.
"Stacey" > wrote in message
> "David J and Lynne J Shepherd" > kindly wrote:
>
> > Stacey, up here in NY all the salvage yards give at least a 30 day

guaranty
> > on drive train parts, but you still don't know if it is bad, the diff

could
> > be the problem especially with the evidence of metal in the unit, if

this is
> > from the spider gears, it would not move at times like you experienced.

> Yeah, I can see that...good point. And the plot thickens b/c:
>
> I just got back from the mechanics and he was saying it doesn't make
> sense that I only heard the whine once three weeks ago, and that it
> stopped after that. That once a rear end goes, it goes. It might start
> whining softly, then get louder with time, but it doesn't kick in LOUD
> then disappear the next day and not reoccur!
>
> So my Dad and he came up with a theory... the mechanic brought over
> one of the bearing "wheels" and although we couldn't view the bearings
> themselves (b/c they are sealed in this wheel), he could feel by
> turning it that there was a bad spot on the side with the bad seal
> (where the diff oil was leaking into). He says the diff oil likely
> washed all the grease out of the bearings, and that if some debri got
> in there, the whine I heard could have been the bearing 'going bad'
> from the friction... and the silver in the axle and diff oil could
> have been bearing material -- not gear material. !!! YAY!!! That would
> explain why I heard the noise all the way home, and even when backing
> up, but that why the next day (after the bearings cooled maybe and
> shifted to displace the debri) the noise disappeared and hasn't come
> back. He refilled the diff with oil and the truck drives great. And
> like I said, it hasn't whined since that one night a few weeks ago.
>
> So I'll drive it around town here for a month or so, then pull the
> bottom diff plug (use the filler plug to keep the new oil in there)
> and check for more silver. If it *was* from the bearing any residual
> stuff I find should reduce with time as I clean off the plug and
> re-check again after another period. If it's the rear end going
> though, I should find lots of material and it will only get worse. And
> in the midst of that I guess I'll see if the trans acts up, but so far
> it was just that one weird episode. Otherwise it shifts great and
> never lunges or lags (i.e. does not feel worn). Even the mechanic
> doesn't understand it cause the truck runs so great!
>
> I'M SO HAPPY THERE'S A CHANCE I CAN KEEP IT!
> I love this truck! (Sorry for emoting.) Here's a pic if you're
> interested:
>
> http://www.tanked.netfirms.com/toy4x4.html
>
> Thanks so much for helping me. If you made it reading this far, I'd be
> interested to know your thoughts on the theory... sound possible?
>
> Stacey

Trans advice for a '95 Caravan Dave libbey Dodge 3 December 9th 05 05:35 AM
91 Spirit Trans Problem Tank U Dodge 0 November 20th 04 02:03 PM
1992 525i Auto Trans question Scott BMW 1 October 10th 04 03:14 PM
Engine rebuild Jai Corvette 4 August 30th 04 03:57 AM