AUDI 1997 A4 - Noisy bearing

Old August 23rd 06, 03:01 PM posted to alt.autos.audi
car-car

Default AUDI 1997 A4 - Noisy bearing

Okay, so I know I have to fix the bearing otherwise my wheels might fly
off.

I took my car to an Audi dealer and they said it will cost about $700 to
fix both sides.

Is this about right?

Old August 23rd 06, 03:23 PM posted to alt.autos.audi
Moonman

"car-car" > wrote in message
lkaboutautos.com...
> Okay, so I know I have to fix the bearing otherwise my wheels might fly
> off.
>
> I took my car to an Audi dealer and they said it will cost about $700 to
> fix both sides.
>
> Is this about right?

Front or rear?

Old August 23rd 06, 04:03 PM posted to alt.autos.audi
car-car

Noise is coming from rear.

Old August 23rd 06, 04:45 PM posted to alt.autos.audi
Mire

"car-car" > wrote in message
lkaboutautos.com...
> Noise is coming from rear.

I've just been given an estimate of 60 pounds sterling/ side for rear
bearings on a 1999 A4 Avant, so I would say that even allowing for higher
labour rates in the US, that $700 dollars was rather high. The man I spoke
to gave an estimate of around 1 hour for the job/ side. Looking at the
relevant maintenance manual, and assuming that I've identified the hub
assembly correctly it looks a very straightforward job (on 1999 Avant - not
sure about your model).

The garage I approached was an independent, not a dealer.

Hope this helps with your decision.

Old August 23rd 06, 09:23 PM posted to alt.autos.audi
upallnight-two

Mire wrote:
> "car-car" > wrote in message
> lkaboutautos.com...
> > Noise is coming from rear.
> >

> I've just been given an estimate of 60 pounds sterling/ side for rear
> bearings on a 1999 A4 Avant, so I would say that even allowing for higher
> labour rates in the US, that $700 dollars was rather high. The man I spoke
> to gave an estimate of around 1 hour for the job/ side. Looking at the
> relevant maintenance manual, and assuming that I've identified the hub
> assembly correctly it looks a very straightforward job (on 1999 Avant - not
> sure about your model).
>
> The garage I approached was an independent, not a dealer.
>
> Hope this helps with your decision.

Quattro or non quattro? If it was quattro then the higher price is
justified.

Old August 23rd 06, 09:23 PM posted to alt.autos.audi
upallnight-two

Old August 23rd 06, 10:49 PM posted to alt.autos.audi
Richard Goulding[_1_]

"upallnight-two" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> Mire wrote:
> > "car-car" > wrote in message
> > lkaboutautos.com...
> > > Noise is coming from rear.
> > >

> > I've just been given an estimate of 60 pounds sterling/ side for rear
> > bearings on a 1999 A4 Avant, so I would say that even allowing for

higher
> > labour rates in the US, that $700 dollars was rather high. The man I

spoke
> > to gave an estimate of around 1 hour for the job/ side. Looking at the
> > relevant maintenance manual, and assuming that I've identified the hub
> > assembly correctly it looks a very straightforward job (on 1999 Avant -

not
> > sure about your model).
> >
> > The garage I approached was an independent, not a dealer.
> >
> > Hope this helps with your decision.

> Quattro or non quattro? If it was quattro then the higher price is
> justified.

I paid about £136 for a rear bearing on a 2000 A4 Quattro at an independent
garage.

Richard

Old August 24th 06, 05:06 PM posted to alt.autos.audi
car-car

Yes, this is for A4 Quattro, BOTH sides in the rear.

So US$700 is reasonable?

Old August 24th 06, 07:10 PM posted to alt.autos.audi
Petri Rehtonen

On 2006-08-24, car-car > wrote:
> Yes, this is for A4 Quattro, BOTH sides in the rear.
>
> So US$700 is reasonable?

I would say that the parts should be <150e + 3h work. If that comes up
to 700$ then it is reasonable.

--
Petri Rehtonen
Old August 25th 06, 03:38 AM posted to alt.autos.audi
Dave Lugo

car-car wrote:
> Yes, this is for A4 Quattro, BOTH sides in the rear.
>
> So US$700 is reasonable?

At a stealer, yeah.

Do yourself a favor, find a good local independent shop, and take the
car there. Their labor charges will be a lot less.

I'd think you should be able to save about $200.

A good place to get recommendations are the region-specific forums at
audiworld.com.

Dave Lugo LC Unit #260 TINLC
Have you hugged your firewall today? No spam, thanks.
Are you the police? . . . . No ma'am, we're sysadmins.