Heradligh on reminder for 2000 Accord that works with engine running

Old September 27th 09, 02:44 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Keith

Default Heradligh on reminder for 2000 Accord that works with engine running

I have a 2000 Accord LX 5sp. I had a Compustar remote starter installed. As
it is for a standard transmission the engine is left running when you exit
the vehicle if you want to put the car in 'reservation mode' to start
remotely. Closing the door turns off the engine and locks the doors. This is
how they guarantee you left the car in neutral.

The problem is exiting the vehicle with the engine running; the headlight on
chime doesn't work. So if I close the door and notice the lights are on I
have to get in and restart the engine to re-arm the remote starter. Or I
drain the battery if I don't notice the lights.

Does anyone know of a good headlights-on product or circuit that will work
when the headlights are on and the door is opened, whether the engine is
running or not?

Thanks in advance.

Old September 27th 09, 12:48 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Tegger[_2_]

"Keith" > wrote in
:

> I have a 2000 Accord LX 5sp. I had a Compustar remote starter
> installed. As it is for a standard transmission the engine is left
> running when you exit the vehicle if you want to put the car in
> 'reservation mode' to start remotely. Closing the door turns off the
> engine and locks the doors. This is how they guarantee you left the
> car in neutral.
>
> The problem is exiting the vehicle with the engine running; the
> headlight on chime doesn't work. So if I close the door and notice the
> lights are on I have to get in and restart the engine to re-arm the
> remote starter. Or I drain the battery if I don't notice the lights.
>
> Does anyone know of a good headlights-on product or circuit that will
> work when the headlights are on and the door is opened, whether the
> engine is running or not?

I'm thinking the headlight-on alarm probably IS working; it's just that
you're not in the car to hear it.

You can have your alarm shop rewire the headlight feed to come directly
from the alternator. This way, when the alternator is not charging, the
headlights are off.

Or you can just retrain yourself to automatically and always twist the
headlight switch each and every time you get out of the vehicle.

--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
www.tegger.com/hondafaq/
Old September 27th 09, 10:15 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Nasty[_3_]

Tegger wrote:
> "Keith" > wrote in
> :
>
>> I have a 2000 Accord LX 5sp. I had a Compustar remote starter
>> installed. As it is for a standard transmission the engine is left
>> running when you exit the vehicle if you want to put the car in
>> 'reservation mode' to start remotely. Closing the door turns off the
>> engine and locks the doors. This is how they guarantee you left the
>> car in neutral.
>>
>> The problem is exiting the vehicle with the engine running; the
>> headlight on chime doesn't work. So if I close the door and notice the
>> lights are on I have to get in and restart the engine to re-arm the
>> remote starter. Or I drain the battery if I don't notice the lights.
>>
>> Does anyone know of a good headlights-on product or circuit that will
>> work when the headlights are on and the door is opened, whether the
>> engine is running or not?
>>

> I'm thinking the headlight-on alarm probably IS working; it's just that
> you're not in the car to hear it.
>
> You can have your alarm shop rewire the headlight feed to come directly
> from the alternator. This way, when the alternator is not charging, the
> headlights are off.
>
> Or you can just retrain yourself to automatically and always twist the
> headlight switch each and every time you get out of the vehicle.

I don't think the alarm is SUPPOSED to sound when the door is opened and
the engine is running. My 2000 EX doesn't and never has. It's one of the
things I like about the car. In the same situation with my Chevy truck
the alarm will go off and annoy the crap out of me, as if it thinks I
don't have enough sense to know the engine is running when I open the
door to do something like open the gate.
Old September 28th 09, 12:01 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Tegger[_2_]

Nasty > wrote in news:4abfd5f5$0$23980
:

> Tegger wrote:

> I don't think the alarm is SUPPOSED to sound when the door is opened and
> the engine is running.

Read the OP's post more carefully. He does not say an alarm sounds when the
engine is running.

Old September 28th 09, 03:09 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Nasty[_3_]

Tegger wrote:
> Nasty > wrote in news:4abfd5f5$0$23980
> :
>
>> Tegger wrote:

>> I don't think the alarm is SUPPOSED to sound when the door is opened and
>> the engine is running.

> Read the OP's post more carefully. He does not say an alarm sounds when the
> engine is running.

Correct. And he's stating that THAT is his problem. I read that he
thinks the alarm SHOULD sound but doesn't.
Old September 28th 09, 01:15 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Tegger[_2_]

Nasty > wrote in
ng.com:

> Tegger wrote:
>> Nasty > wrote in news:4abfd5f5$0$23980
>> :
>>
>>> Tegger wrote:

>>> I don't think the alarm is SUPPOSED to sound when the door is opened
>>> and the engine is running.

>> Read the OP's post more carefully. He does not say an alarm sounds
>> when the engine is running.
>>

> Correct. And he's stating that THAT is his problem. I read that he
> thinks the alarm SHOULD sound but doesn't.

I see this line in the OP's original post:
"The problem is exiting the vehicle with the engine running; the
headlight on chime doesn't work."

I provided two possible solutions to that stated problem.

Old September 28th 09, 06:35 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Nasty[_3_]

Tegger wrote:
> Nasty > wrote in
> ng.com:
>
>> Tegger wrote:
>>> Nasty > wrote in news:4abfd5f5$0$23980
>>> :

>>> Read the OP's post more carefully. He does not say an alarm sounds
>>> when the engine is running.
>>>

>> Correct. And he's stating that THAT is his problem. I read that he
>> thinks the alarm SHOULD sound but doesn't.

> I see this line in the OP's original post:
> "The problem is exiting the vehicle with the engine running; the
> headlight on chime doesn't work."
>
> I provided two possible solutions to that stated problem.

And I offered a third, there is no malfunction. The chime is not
supposed to sound when the door is opened when the engine is running.

Old September 28th 09, 10:00 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Tegger[_2_]

Nasty > wrote in news:4ac0f3f9$0$5664
:

> And I offered a third, there is no malfunction. The chime is not
> supposed to sound when the door is opened when the engine is running.

Whether the alarm sounded or not was not the issue. The issue was that the
OP now no longer has any sort of audible warning that would rescue him from
forgetting to turn his headlights off.

Old September 28th 09, 10:34 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Nasty[_3_]

Tegger wrote:
> Nasty > wrote in news:4ac0f3f9$0$5664
> :
>

>> And I offered a third, there is no malfunction. The chime is not
>> supposed to sound when the door is opened when the engine is running.
>>

> Whether the alarm sounded or not was not the issue. The issue was that the
> OP now no longer has any sort of audible warning that would rescue him from
> forgetting to turn his headlights off.

That's not the way I read it but I defer to you. We all appreciate very
much the help and advice you given us over the years.
Old September 29th 09, 03:37 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
jim beam[_4_]

On 09/28/2009 10:35 AM, Nasty wrote:
> Tegger wrote:
>> Nasty > wrote in
>> ng.com:

>>> Correct. And he's stating that THAT is his problem. I read that he
>>> thinks the alarm SHOULD sound but doesn't.

>> I see this line in the OP's original post:
>> "The problem is exiting the vehicle with the engine running; the
>> headlight on chime doesn't work."
>>
>> I provided two possible solutions to that stated problem.
>>

> And I offered a third, there is no malfunction. The chime is not
> supposed to sound when the door is opened when the engine is running.

indeed - if the engine is switched off, the warning should sound.
perfectly logical.

if the owner wants honda to program the vehicle differently, they should
write and say so. or they should just modify the vehicle themselves.