Dealer Recommended Service

Old September 5th 07, 05:13 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Big Shoe

Default Dealer Recommended Service

I just got back from having the dealer change oil, rotate tires and
perform state inspection on my '05 Limited (45,000 miles on it). This
dealer has started something new and gave me a seven-page printout of
everything their technician "found" to require attention along with
the price total of $594.80 for all this. Included in the
recommendations were brake system flush, power steering flush, service
battery, fuel injector/air induction major service, cooling system
flush and transmission flush.

My reaction to all this is that the dealer is recommending services
which will do no harm, but which are not really necessary. I have not
looked yet, but don't believe any of this is included in Ford's
recommended maintenance. I certainly expect to do the maintenance
which is needed, but don't want to be ripped off.

Any thoughts from the group on this?
Old September 5th 07, 06:48 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Mark Sparge

On Sep 5, 11:13 am, Big Shoe > wrote:
> I just got back from having the dealer change oil, rotate tires and
> perform state inspection on my '05 Limited (45,000 miles on it). This
> dealer has started something new and gave me a seven-page printout of
> everything their technician "found" to require attention along with
> the price total of $594.80 for all this. Included in the
> recommendations were brake system flush, power steering flush, service
> battery, fuel injector/air induction major service, cooling system
> flush and transmission flush.
>
> My reaction to all this is that the dealer is recommending services
> which will do no harm, but which are not really necessary. I have not
> looked yet, but don't believe any of this is included in Ford's
> recommended maintenance. I certainly expect to do the maintenance
> which is needed, but don't want to be ripped off.
>
> Any thoughts from the group on this?

Yeah -- Wallyworld will rotate your tires and do the lube job for a
whole lot less than the dealer -- and there are probably a ton of
OTHER state inspection stations.

Mark

Old September 5th 07, 10:18 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Happy Traveler

Your dealer is jumping on the bandwagon very, very late. I have been seeing
this for twenty years. They enter the date and mileage into a computer, and
it spits those mailings for various services every three months or so.
Essentially easy money, made on either trivial tasks that a savvy owner can
(and should) perform himself, or unnecessary ones. I would pass, even if it
was free.

OK, I would make an exception for the brake flush every couple years -- even
though some people on this group are against it. I do that myself, but it's
tricky, because if you introduce air into the system, you'll need the dealer
to evacuate the ABS pump.

news

Old September 6th 07, 02:14 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Bob[_2_]

Big Shoe wrote:
> I just got back from having the dealer change oil, rotate tires and
> perform state inspection on my '05 Limited (45,000 miles on it). This
> dealer has started something new and gave me a seven-page printout of
> everything their technician "found" to require attention along with
> the price total of $594.80 for all this. Included in the
> recommendations were brake system flush, power steering flush, service
> battery, fuel injector/air induction major service, cooling system
> flush and transmission flush.
>
> My reaction to all this is that the dealer is recommending services
> which will do no harm, but which are not really necessary. I have not
> looked yet, but don't believe any of this is included in Ford's
> recommended maintenance. I certainly expect to do the maintenance
> which is needed, but don't want to be ripped off.
>
> Any thoughts from the group on this?

Follow the maintenance schedule in your owners manual. Nothing more is
needed.
Old September 6th 07, 02:18 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
[email protected]

On Sep 5, 11:13 am, Big Shoe > wrote:
> I have not
> looked yet, but don't believe any of this is included in Ford's
> recommended maintenance.

You are right. The recommended stuff is here...

http://www.genuineservice.com/genuin...ault?page=Home

DocE

"The future ain't what it used to be." -Yogi Berra

Old September 8th 07, 02:17 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Mikepier

On Sep 5, 12:13 pm, Big Shoe > wrote:
> I just got back from having the dealer change oil, rotate tires and
> perform state inspection on my '05 Limited (45,000 miles on it). This
> dealer has started something new and gave me a seven-page printout of
> everything their technician "found" to require attention along with
> the price total of $594.80 for all this. Included in the
> recommendations were

>brake system flush

Not necessary unless you drive a 5,000 lb trailer down a mountain
everyday.

> power steering flush

Not necessary.

> service battery

How exactly do they service a battery? All batteries today are
maintanance free.

> fuel injector/air induction major service

If the engine is running fine and runs smooth, leave it. Not
necessary.

> cooling system flush

Ok, I could see doing this every 3/4 years.

>and transmission flush.

I don't think you need an entire flush, just a regular pan drop and
filter change is sufficient.

Save your $600 for other important things.

Old September 8th 07, 05:19 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Jim Warman

Some dealers have resorted to "wallet" flushes to maximize profits.... BG,
WYNNS and others put on glitzy promo's to convince management and techs that
these products are the saviour of the automotive world..... Often, additives
are installed at the time of service and the service writer is left to try
and justify the additional charge. My thought is that, if I didn't
specifically ask for this additive, it better be gone.... If they have to
replace the fluid in something on thier nickel - oh, well.....

If your dealer is recommending these un-necessary services, it is time to
let him know that this is unacceptable oversell....

news

Old September 11th 07, 07:38 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Big Shoe

Thanks for all the feedback on this issue. You have confirmed what I
thought. Too bad though, because I have really liked doing business
with this dealer up until this nonsense started. I may take Jim's tip
and let the dealer know what I think about this.

On Sat, 08 Sep 2007 04:19:51 GMT, "Jim Warman"