Never used 4wd, can I remove the axle?

Old June 2nd 07, 05:29 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Michael Horowitz

Default Never used 4wd, can I remove the axle?

I have a 4WD 97 Explorer. My 'clunk' has been diagnosed as play in the
front differential. $1800.

I never knowingly have used 4wd.

Can I simply remove the front drive shaft and continue driving?

Old June 2nd 07, 09:06 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Mark Sparge

On Jun 2, 11:29 am, Michael Horowitz > wrote:
> I have a 4WD 97 Explorer. My 'clunk' has been diagnosed as play in the
> front differential. $1800.
>
> I never knowingly have used 4wd.
>
> Can I simply remove the front drive shaft and continue driving?

First, the price you were quoted is probably for a replacement
differential. A transmission shop should be able to rebuild --
replace worn parts for a whole lot less than $1800. Plus, if you are
OK with tools, you should be able to find a used differential at a
salvage yard for a BUNCH less than the price you were quoted.

Please understand -- I've never tried it, but I see no reason why you
couldn't run without the front driveshaft, but if the clunk is in the
differential, it'll still be there without the driveshaft. The front
wheels drive the differential continuously -- it's a shift in the
transfer case that engages 4-wheel drive.

On the other hand, if the clunk is in worn U-joints, then removing the
driveshaft is at least worth a try.

Anybody else want to chime in here?

Good Luck,
Mark

Old June 5th 07, 10:59 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Bob[_2_]

Mark Sparge wrote:
> On Jun 2, 11:29 am, Michael Horowitz > wrote:
>> I have a 4WD 97 Explorer. My 'clunk' has been diagnosed as play in the
>> front differential. $1800.
>>
>> I never knowingly have used 4wd.
>>
>> Can I simply remove the front drive shaft and continue driving?

> First, the price you were quoted is probably for a replacement
> differential. A transmission shop should be able to rebuild --
> replace worn parts for a whole lot less than $1800. Plus, if you are
> OK with tools, you should be able to find a used differential at a
> salvage yard for a BUNCH less than the price you were quoted.
>
> Please understand -- I've never tried it, but I see no reason why you
> couldn't run without the front driveshaft, but if the clunk is in the
> differential, it'll still be there without the driveshaft. The front
> wheels drive the differential continuously -- it's a shift in the
> transfer case that engages 4-wheel drive.
>
> On the other hand, if the clunk is in worn U-joints, then removing the
> driveshaft is at least worth a try.
>
> Anybody else want to chime in here?
>
> Good Luck,
> Mark

Is this a part time 4 WD system? If the hubs are free and the transfer
case is in 2 WD, the front drive shafts and differential aren't engaged
and wouldn't be turning or clunking. Does it clunk in 2 WD with the hubs
free?