Sports light on + shfting problem

Old October 17th 09, 01:13 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Fijoy

Default Sports light on + shfting problem

Hi all,

I have a 1991 Accord. The sports light comes on when I start the car,
and remains on, though the sports switch is in the 'off' position. The
acceleration of the car from a stop is much slower, and the
transmission is not shifting at all.

Has anyone had this problem? What is possibly wrong?

Thank you,
Fijoy

Old October 17th 09, 02:04 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Charles

Fijoy wrote:
> I have a 1991 Accord. The sports light comes on when I start the car,
> and remains on, though the sports switch is in the 'off' position. The
> acceleration of the car from a stop is much slower, and the
> transmission is not shifting at all.

It's probably in limp-home mode giving you just two gears.

> What is possibly wrong?

As Dan has written is might be your transmission control computer. The other
possibility is a faulty sensor that is monitored by the transmission control
computer. It would be instructive to know the code that the TCU
light-emitting diode is flashing. The module itself is probably under the
carpet under your passenger's left foot. It has a small window through which
the lamp may be seen. Don't confuse it with the adjacent engine control
computer.

Do a search in the Honda newsgroups for "TCU." That will lead you to some
details of diagnosis.

--
Chuck

Old October 17th 09, 11:50 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Dillon Pyron[_2_]

Thus spake "Charles" > :

>Fijoy wrote:
>> I have a 1991 Accord. The sports light comes on when I start the car,
>> and remains on, though the sports switch is in the 'off' position. The
>> acceleration of the car from a stop is much slower, and the
>> transmission is not shifting at all.

>It's probably in limp-home mode giving you just two gears.
>
>> What is possibly wrong?

>As Dan has written is might be your transmission control computer. The other
>possibility is a faulty sensor that is monitored by the transmission control
>computer. It would be instructive to know the code that the TCU
>light-emitting diode is flashing. The module itself is probably under the
>carpet under your passenger's left foot. It has a small window through which
>the lamp may be seen. Don't confuse it with the adjacent engine control
>computer.
>
>Do a search in the Honda newsgroups for "TCU." That will lead you to some
>details of diagnosis.

Even if it's not the TCU, replacing it cause no damage and is $60/hr
cheaper than finding out that's the problem.
--

- dillon I am not invalid

Patrick Swayze, now there was talent
Old October 23rd 09, 04:06 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Fijoy

Thank you all for the responses. I found this page which describes
diagnosing and fixing TCU problems: http://techauto.awardspace.com/transmission.html

Fijoy