94 Cherokee blower motor problem

Old September 3rd 06, 02:11 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
[email protected]

Default 94 Cherokee blower motor problem

My 94 4.0L Jeep Cherokee has developed a blower motor problem.

This started out as intermittency. I'd start the jeep, and turn on
the AC, but the blower would not come on. I would feel cold air at the
vents. After driving for a while, the blower would come on and run
just fine. My wife advised me that hitting the dash would also
occasionally turn it on.

This week, the blower has refused to come on at all, either for vent,
AC or Heat. I can still hear the AC kicking up.

I replaced the blower motor speed switch, but still no airflow. I
followed the wiring down to the blower resistor block, and I see strong
voltage at the twin green wires. I've checked all the fuses in the
interior and engine compartment, all ok.

Is there a relay on this year model for the blower that I've failed
to find? If so, where would I look? The intermittent behavior makes
me suspect a relay, but my Haynes manual is pretty useless on this
point.

If there is no relay, how would I access the blower motor to check it
out? Looking under the passenger footwell, I can see the squirrel
cage, but I've no idea how I'd get to the motor.

Thanks very much.

Old September 3rd 06, 06:30 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III[_1_]

The relay switch in the Power Distribution Center, the box by your
battery, it only works in the high speed switch position:
http://www.billhughes.com/blower.pdf
God Bless America, Bill O|||||||O

Old September 3rd 06, 01:26 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

I fixed my '93 Grand Cherokee by just cleaning out the cage. It would work
on high but not low or second. It didn't have a lot of debris in it, just a
couple small leaves, but it made a world of difference just pulling it down
and cleaning it out.
My 2 cents.
Oh, my wife is a dashboard slugger too. Same thing, she'd fix it by
slugging. (fixes me too sometimes)

ps.com...

Old September 3rd 06, 04:08 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
[email protected]

L.W.(Bill) Hughes III wrote:
> The relay switch in the Power Distribution Center, the box by your
> battery, it only works in the high speed switch position:
> http://www.billhughes.com/blower.pdf
> God Bless America, Bill O|||||||O
>

> wrote:
> >
> > My 94 4.0L Jeep Cherokee has developed a blower motor problem.
> >
> > This started out as intermittency. I'd start the jeep, and turn on
> > the AC, but the blower would not come on. I would feel cold air at the
> > vents. After driving for a while, the blower would come on and run
> > just fine. My wife advised me that hitting the dash would also
> > occasionally turn it on.
> >
> > This week, the blower has refused to come on at all, either for vent,
> > AC or Heat. I can still hear the AC kicking up.
> >
> > I replaced the blower motor speed switch, but still no airflow. I
> > followed the wiring down to the blower resistor block, and I see strong
> > voltage at the twin green wires. I've checked all the fuses in the
> > interior and engine compartment, all ok.
> >
> > Is there a relay on this year model for the blower that I've failed
> > to find? If so, where would I look? The intermittent behavior makes
> > me suspect a relay, but my Haynes manual is pretty useless on this
> > point.
> >
> > If there is no relay, how would I access the blower motor to check it
> > out? Looking under the passenger footwell, I can see the squirrel
> > cage, but I've no idea how I'd get to the motor.
> >
> > Thanks very much.

Thanks, Bill. I took a look there yesterday. Turning the lid over, I
see there is labels indicating the role of the various relays and
fuses, but none mention the blower motor. There is a fuse and relay
for the aux. fan, but it comes on when I turn the selector to AC, so
I'm good there. All the fuses check out ok. I've tapped all the
relays, and they test ok.

I'll keep looking. Thanks again.

Old September 3rd 06, 04:14 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
[email protected]

D wrote:
> I fixed my '93 Grand Cherokee by just cleaning out the cage. It would work
> on high but not low or second. It didn't have a lot of debris in it, just a
> couple small leaves, but it made a world of difference just pulling it down
> and cleaning it out.
> My 2 cents.
> Oh, my wife is a dashboard slugger too. Same thing, she'd fix it by
> slugging. (fixes me too sometimes)
>

> > wrote in message
> ps.com...
> > My 94 4.0L Jeep Cherokee has developed a blower motor problem.
> >
> > This started out as intermittency. I'd start the jeep, and turn on
> > the AC, but the blower would not come on. I would feel cold air at the
> > vents. After driving for a while, the blower would come on and run
> > just fine. My wife advised me that hitting the dash would also
> > occasionally turn it on.
> >
> > This week, the blower has refused to come on at all, either for vent,
> > AC or Heat. I can still hear the AC kicking up.
> >
> > I replaced the blower motor speed switch, but still no airflow. I
> > followed the wiring down to the blower resistor block, and I see strong
> > voltage at the twin green wires. I've checked all the fuses in the
> > interior and engine compartment, all ok.
> >
> > Is there a relay on this year model for the blower that I've failed
> > to find? If so, where would I look? The intermittent behavior makes
> > me suspect a relay, but my Haynes manual is pretty useless on this
> > point.
> >
> > If there is no relay, how would I access the blower motor to check it
> > out? Looking under the passenger footwell, I can see the squirrel
> > cage, but I've no idea how I'd get to the motor.
> >
> > Thanks very much.

Thanks D. Maybe our wives are related.... :-)

Made a little progress on this. I found the blower motor. It was
hiding in the engine compartment, passenger side, behind the washer
fluid bottle. I was able to find the connector for it, so I pulled it
apart. I ran a couple of jumper wires directly from the battery into
the motor-side of the connector, and nothing happened. This looks to
me like the blower motor has died. Local parts shop has one for 30
bucks, so I'll go get one, and see if this solves the issue.

Thanks for the help.

S.

Old September 3rd 06, 06:49 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Carl[_3_]

Before buying a new one, I would pull the old one and test it directly from
the battery. BTW, my girlfriend likes to 'fix' me like that, too.

Carl

ups.com...

Old September 3rd 06, 07:18 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
billy ray

Carl,

Just remember that she will never treat you any better than she does right
now...

. ..

Old September 3rd 06, 09:55 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
[email protected]

Carl wrote:
> Before buying a new one, I would pull the old one and test it directly from
> the battery. BTW, my girlfriend likes to 'fix' me like that, too.
>
> Carl
>

> > wrote in message
> ups.com...
> >
> > D wrote:
> >> I fixed my '93 Grand Cherokee by just cleaning out the cage. It would
> >> work
> >> on high but not low or second. It didn't have a lot of debris in it, just
> >> couple small leaves, but it made a world of difference just pulling it
> >> down
> >> and cleaning it out.
> >> My 2 cents.
> >> Oh, my wife is a dashboard slugger too. Same thing, she'd fix it by
> >> slugging. (fixes me too sometimes)

> >> ps.com...

> > Thanks D. Maybe our wives are related.... :-)
> >
> > Made a little progress on this. I found the blower motor. It was
> > hiding in the engine compartment, passenger side, behind the washer
> > fluid bottle. I was able to find the connector for it, so I pulled it
> > apart. I ran a couple of jumper wires directly from the battery into
> > the motor-side of the connector, and nothing happened. This looks to
> > me like the blower motor has died. Local parts shop has one for 30
> > bucks, so I'll go get one, and see if this solves the issue.
> >
> > Thanks for the help.
> >
> > S.

Success! The blower motor was intermittent. As soon as I got access
to it, I stuck a couple jumpers on it direct from the battery, and the
sucker wouldn't turn. Once I pulled it out, I repeated the test, and
at first it did nothing, but then suddenly caught.

While it wasn't too difficult a repair once diagnosed, I decided I'd
replace the motor anyway, as for 30 bucks, at least I'd have new parts
in there with a lifetime guarantee.

The squirrel cage had a really gross accumulation of crud on it.
Solidified dust, that was almost greasy in consistency. I had to
pretty much scrape it off, took about 30 minutes.

Once I added the now pristine squirrel cage to it, I gave the new motor
the direct to battery check before I installed it, and is spun right
up, so I proceeded to install. One of the 3 small bolts that holds the
motor to the firewall is a little close to the sheetmetal, but a few
choice curse words and a thin, deep 1/4" socket got me worked around
that issue.

The wife just took the jeep to the convenience store, and gave me a
call on the cell phone, telling me it hasn't blown air this cold or
well for years. Even brought me an ice cream home in
gratitude....maybe I should do more of the stuff on my honey-do
list.... :-)

Thanks again to all for their help, I appreciate your time, and all the
suggestions.

S.

93 cherokee blower motor sc00ter Jeep 1 March 15th 06 10:41 PM
1996 Dodge Grand Caravan LE AC/Heater Blower, Relay and Resistor Block Problems 101 HeadlessHorseman Dodge 2 January 12th 06 11:12 PM
Dead AC/heater blower, 2000 Cherokee [email protected] Jeep 18 June 19th 05 04:16 AM
1996 Dodge Grand Caravan LE AC/Heater Blower, Relay and Resistor Block Problems 101 HeadlessHorseman Dodge 0 January 5th 05 02:49 PM