Replacing Oxygen Sensor.

Old February 5th 08, 08:30 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
[email protected]

Default Replacing Oxygen Sensor.

I'm going to try and replace my O2 sensor that came up bad during
diagnostics, and my tabs are already expired. I understand there are
two O2 sensors on my model: Honda Accord 98 EX 4Cyc Vtec.

Is this something the average joe can locate and replace, or do I need
to take in into the shop?

Many thanks,

--TJ
Old February 5th 08, 09:36 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Elle

One sensor is upstream of the cat converter (= pre cat); the
other is downstream (= post cat). Find out which one it is.
Then look at parts drawings at bkhondaparts.com to help find
it.

On many Hondas these are easy to replace. You can borrow an
Oxygen sensor wrench from Autozone for a returnable deposit.
I recommend doing so. Also, buy a can of the penetrating oil
"PB Blaster" at Autozone or Wal-Mart or similar. Soak the
threads region of the O2 sensor for an hour before trying to
remove it. It might help if the auto is a little warm when
you actually try to unscrew the sensor. Be careful not to
burn yourself.

Best prices I have found for OEM O2 sensors:
automedicsupply.com . Cost you about $170 for the pre cat.
$75 for post cat. Ball park.

Only buy OEM for this part.

Old February 5th 08, 10:20 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
[email protected]

On Feb 5, 1:36 pm, "Elle" > wrote:
> One sensor is upstream of the cat converter (= pre cat); the
> other is downstream (= post cat). Find out which one it is.
> Then look at parts drawings at bkhondaparts.com to help find
> it.
>
> On many Hondas these are easy to replace. You can borrow an
> Oxygen sensor wrench from Autozone for a returnable deposit.
> I recommend doing so. Also, buy a can of the penetrating oil
> "PB Blaster" at Autozone or Wal-Mart or similar. Soak the
> threads region of the O2 sensor for an hour before trying to
> remove it. It might help if the auto is a little warm when
> you actually try to unscrew the sensor. Be careful not to
> burn yourself.
>
> Best prices I have found for OEM O2 sensors:
> automedicsupply.com . Cost you about $170 for the pre cat.
> $75 for post cat. Ball park.
>
> Only buy OEM for this part.
>
> > wrote
>
> > I'm going to try and replace my O2 sensor that came up bad
> > during
> > diagnostics, and my tabs are already expired. I
> > understand there are
> > two O2 sensors on my model: Honda Accord 98 EX 4Cyc Vtec.

> > Is this something the average joe can locate and replace,
> > or do I need
> > to take in into the shop?

I can't find a diagram of an O2 sensor on their website, maybe using a
different term?

--TJ
Old February 5th 08, 10:27 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Elle

After putting your car's identifying info in at
www.bkhondaparts.com , do a "list all." Click on "exhaust
manifold." The pre cat one appears. Click on "exhaust pipe"
for the post cat one.

These sites are a little tricky to navigate at first.
Persist. :-)

Old February 5th 08, 10:29 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
[email protected]

On Feb 5, 2:20 pm, " >
wrote:
> On Feb 5, 1:36 pm, "Elle" > wrote:
>

> > One sensor is upstream of the cat converter (= pre cat); the
> > other is downstream (= post cat). Find out which one it is.
> > Then look at parts drawings at bkhondaparts.com to help find
> > it.

> > On many Hondas these are easy to replace. You can borrow an
> > Oxygen sensor wrench from Autozone for a returnable deposit.
> > I recommend doing so. Also, buy a can of the penetrating oil
> > "PB Blaster" at Autozone or Wal-Mart or similar. Soak the
> > threads region of the O2 sensor for an hour before trying to
> > remove it. It might help if the auto is a little warm when
> > you actually try to unscrew the sensor. Be careful not to
> > burn yourself.

> > Best prices I have found for OEM O2 sensors:
> > automedicsupply.com . Cost you about $170 for the pre cat.
> > $75 for post cat. Ball park.

> > Only buy OEM for this part.

> > > wrote

> > > I'm going to try and replace my O2 sensor that came up bad
> > > during
> > > diagnostics, and my tabs are already expired. I
> > > understand there are
> > > two O2 sensors on my model: Honda Accord 98 EX 4Cyc Vtec.

> > > Is this something the average joe can locate and replace,
> > > or do I need
> > > to take in into the shop?

> I can't find a diagram of an O2 sensor on their website, maybe using a
> different term?
>
> --TJ

Found it.
Old February 10th 08, 07:40 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Tony Harding

Elle wrote:
> After putting your car's identifying info in at
> www.bkhondaparts.com , do a "list all." Click on "exhaust
> manifold." The pre cat one appears. Click on "exhaust pipe"
> for the post cat one.
>
> These sites are a little tricky to navigate at first.
> Persist. :-)

Another option, go to the Parts Dept. at your local Honda dealer, have
them look up your part and ask the guy/gal to print out that page. I've
done this a couple of times and the printouts have good resolution.
Old February 10th 08, 11:17 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Elle

"Tony Harding" > wrote
> Another option, go to the Parts Dept. at your local Honda
> dealer, have them look up your part and ask the guy/gal to
> print out that page. I've done this a couple of times and
> the printouts have good resolution.

Do you know how many Honda dealer parts departments now
provide illustrations free online?

bkhondaparts.com is likely one of dozens or even hundreds at
this point.

Old February 11th 08, 07:46 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Tony Harding

Elle wrote:
> "Tony Harding" > wrote
>> Another option, go to the Parts Dept. at your local Honda
>> dealer, have them look up your part and ask the guy/gal to
>> print out that page. I've done this a couple of times and
>> the printouts have good resolution.

> Do you know how many Honda dealer parts departments now
> provide illustrations free online?
>
> bkhondaparts.com is likely one of dozens or even hundreds at
> this point.

Right, but the printouts have better resolution in my experience.
Old February 11th 08, 02:40 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Elle

"Tony Harding" > wrote
> Elle wrote:
>> "Tony Harding" > wrote
>>> Another option, go to the Parts Dept. at your local
>>> Honda dealer, have them look up your part and ask the
>>> guy/gal to print out that page. I've done this a couple
>>> of times and the printouts have good resolution.

>> Do you know how many Honda dealer parts departments now
>> provide illustrations free online?
>>
>> bkhondaparts.com is likely one of dozens or even hundreds
>> at this point.

> Right, but the printouts have better resolution in my
> experience.

At some online sites, the resolution is indeed poor. At
others, it's good. I would not count on dealer parts
printouts to necessarily be superior.

Old February 12th 08, 04:13 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Tony Harding

Elle wrote:
> "Tony Harding" > wrote
>> Elle wrote:
>>> "Tony Harding" > wrote
>>> Do you know how many Honda dealer parts departments now
>>> provide illustrations free online?
>>>
>>> bkhondaparts.com is likely one of dozens or even hundreds
>>> at this point.

>> Right, but the printouts have better resolution in my
>> experience.

> At some online sites, the resolution is indeed poor. At
> others, it's good. I would not count on dealer parts
> printouts to necessarily be superior.

Based on my experience, so far, so good. I tossed it out as an option,
not a directive.