Excessive motor oil

Old March 21st 09, 12:37 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,rec.autos.misc,rec.autos.makers.honda
HLS

Default Excessive motor oil

"Tegger" > wrote in message
After numerous
> very bad experiences elsewhere, what else can I do? Besides DIY, that
> is...

> Tegger

I usually do it myself. We have, in this small town, at least one mechanic
who should
be in a mechanic's hall of fame somewhere. He is an independent. ( Yes,
David, Im
talking about you:>)

We have a pretty good situation at the local Buick dealership, only because
the service
manager is bright and conscientious.

Some of the other dealership mechanics and shops are to be afraid of.

Old March 21st 09, 12:37 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,rec.autos.misc,rec.autos.makers.honda
HLS

"krp" > wrote in message

> Do you think that on new model Honda the computer that tracks oil life
> exists in a vacuum?

What are you trying to say, KRP?

Old March 21st 09, 02:56 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,rec.autos.misc,rec.autos.makers.honda
E. Meyer

On 3/20/09 6:52 PM, in article ,
"krp" > wrote:

>>> Why do I have the Honda dealer do it? First to make sure the right
>>> amount is put in and secondly to PROPERLY reset the computer. Well
>>> meaning
>>> mechanics not real familiar with the Honda computer have been known to
>>> FRY
>>> the complete system.

>> Sorry. That's just silly. The instructions on resetting the oil change
>> warning are in your owner's manual. Do it yourself before you take it in
>> &
>> tell them not to mess with it.

> Arrrggggggggggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! So you ASS/U/ME that the
> mechanics will read the book? It has been a very long time since I screwed
> with my own cars mechanicaly. When I was in my 20's and racing I'd spend
> load of time under a car. Today I pay somebody else, who has the facilities
> to dump the oil in an environmentally proper way.

Who said anything about the mechanic reading the book? Did you actually
read my comment? Its not a highly technical mechanical task to turn the key
and push a button on the dash. Sounds to me like you haven't bothered to
read your owners manual either.

>> Of all the places I've had do oil changes in the past few years, the local
>> Honda dealer has been the sloppiest and least competent. The (new) car
>> came
>> with three free oil changes. They didn't reset the maintenance monitor
>> two
>> of the three times and the car dripped oil on my garage floor for a week
>> after every time. When I looked, the lower control arm was covered with
>> oil
>> from the filter change that they obviously didn't bother to wipe off.
>> Unless its free, I always do it myself & guess what - no oil on the floor
>> and no problems with the maintenance monitor.

> I'd find a different Honda dealer. There are two within a few minutes
> drive of me. Both offer excellent service. What year Honda do you have?

Currently, its an '06 CR-V. I feel absolutely no desire to find another
dealer. Its not that hard to unscrew one bolt, let the oil out & refill it
with the specific amount listed in the owner's manual. My point is that
they can be just as incompetent as the Jiffy Lube places. Do you actually
think the highly trained ASE certified mechanic at the dealership is the one
doing oil changes? Dream on...

Old March 21st 09, 03:11 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,rec.autos.misc,rec.autos.makers.honda
krp

"HLS" > wrote in message

> "krp" > wrote in message
>
>> Do you think that on new model Honda the computer that tracks oil life
>> exists in a vacuum?
>>

> What are you trying to say, KRP?

How many computers are in a Honda? Do they talk to each other?

Old March 21st 09, 03:44 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,rec.autos.misc,rec.autos.makers.honda
Vic Smith

On Sat, 21 Mar 2009 14:56:09 GMT, "E. Meyer" >
wrote:

> Do you actually
>think the highly trained ASE certified mechanic at the dealership is the one
>doing oil changes? Dream on...

Haven't been to a Jiffy Lube in a while, but a few years ago I went
into one in Florida to get a change while on a long driving trip.
The guy in the pit was yelling out his every action, like "Draining!"
"Plug In!" "Plug tight!" Somebody else was yelling "Check!"
Stuff like that. Made me feel they were paying attention.
Hope it wasn't a recording.
I always pull over after somebody does a change for me anyway, and
check the level and look at the plug and filter for leaks.
Not ideal, since I'm not dressed to crawl under. But the worse
problem I've had is the kid didn't put the hood rod in the retainer
when he closed the hood and the hood wasn't straight.
Fixed that in the parking lot when I pulled out.
My kid, who's a pro with all the ASE certs does our oil changes now.
In my garage.
About a year ago he did some work on his car, and an oil change as the
last thing. He uses Mobil 1.
About half hour after he leaves to go home he calls me to bring him a
new plug and oil. The plug had come out. He heard/spotted it right
after it dropped out, but the oil was gone. He hadn't tightened the
plug.
Fatigue. Anybody can make a mistake. The good ones don't do it
twice. Temps were about zero and he damn near froze before I got to
him with the stuff.
For me the bottom line is the quick change places don't scare me at
all. And anybody who is susceptible to being sold a pair of
windshield wipers they don't need can be sold a valve job they don't
need by a local crook with ASE certs plastered all over his wall.
Jiffy-Lube catches flak because they do so many oil changes.
**** happens everywhere.

--Vic

Excessive motor oil Neil Jones[_3_] General 17 March 25th 09 01:19 AM
Excessive motor oil Neil Jones[_3_] Technology 17 March 25th 09 01:19 AM
Excessive motor oil Neil Jones[_3_] Honda 17 March 25th 09 01:19 AM
Excessive Fuel Consumption GlennW BMW 3 October 3rd 05 10:46 AM
E36 - "Excessive" play in steering Wayne K. BMW 13 July 20th 05 12:02 PM