Why you should remove the negative battery terminal before doing ANYTHING!!!!

Old November 12th 07, 01:48 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Banned

Default Why you should remove the negative battery terminal beforedoin...

Auto/Truck batteries do not have any electricity in them.Dry cell and
gell batteries don't either.They have lead and calcium plates.Some
batteries have antimony plates in them.Basically, they are plastic cases
with the plates and top post or side post, some batteries have top and
side post.The acid in the batteries is diluted (with water) sulphuric
acid.Pure sulphuric acid has a chemical burn equal to about 735 degrees
fahrenheit.I have had some of it (pure) on me before when I worked at a
factory that manufactured auto/truck/lawnmower/MG 6 volt car batteies.I
guarantee you, you do not ever want to get so much as one single drop of
pure undiluted sulphuric battery acid on your skin.You wouldn't believe
what happens! There are also specialized batteries for other
purposes/uses.The battery in my van is about five years old.It doesn't
quite cut the mustard anymore.About four hours ago, my sister came over
here to take to the Auto Zone store so I could buy a new battery.New
Valuecraft battery 49.99.Core charge $12.00.Subtotal $61.99.Total Tax
$4.34.Total $66.33.
Tomorrow, I will take my old battery to the Auto Zone store.
cuhulin

Old November 12th 07, 01:54 AM posted to alt.autos.toyota,alt.autos.honda,rec.autos.tech
Refinish King

Default Why you should remove the negative battery terminal before doing ANYTHING!!!!

On about 92 and up:

The dome light is connected to the Body Control Module.

RK

Old November 12th 07, 02:05 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Banned

I prefer my old vehicles, without that fancy new car computer/electronic
stuff.I know how to work on my old vehicles (1914 Ford T Model Runabout
Roadster, 1948 Willys Jeep, 1961 made in Germany Hercules Moped and my
1978 Dodge van) and keep them running and I already have all of the
tools I need.I can pay cash for a brand new vehicle, if I want to.I
hardly go anywhere anymore, mostly a three miles round trip to the food
store once every couple of weeks.I have no need or desire for a new
vehicle.
I also own and use my Velocity Micro ProMagix desktop computer I bought
for $1,440.00 four years ago.
cuhulin

Old November 12th 07, 02:15 AM posted to alt.autos.toyota,alt.autos.honda,rec.autos.tech
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B

On Mon, 12 Nov 2007 01:54:05 +0000, Refinish King wrote:

> On about 92 and up:
>
> The dome light is connected to the Body Control Module.
>
> RK

Hey, RK, how ya doin'?

I wanted to ask you something a while ago, but I forget.

At any rate, right. The DL is connected to the BCM, which MAY have a
connection to the ECM.

Old November 12th 07, 02:50 AM posted to alt.autos.toyota,alt.autos.honda,rec.autos.tech
Grumpy AuContraire

Hachiroku ハチ*ク wrote:

> On Mon, 12 Nov 2007 01:54:05 +0000, Refinish King wrote:
>

>>On about 92 and up:
>>
>>The dome light is connected to the Body Control Module.
>>
>>RK

> Hey, RK, how ya doin'?
>
> I wanted to ask you something a while ago, but I forget.
>
> At any rate, right. The DL is connected to the BCM, which MAY have a
> connection to the ECM.

Boy, am I glad that my newest vehicle is an '83...

JT

Old November 12th 07, 04:06 AM posted to alt.autos.toyota,alt.autos.honda,rec.autos.tech
jim beam

Steve W. wrote:

>> tony, this is usenet - "credentials" don't mean ****. just stick to
>> the facts.
>>
>> fact 1 - batteries don't "surge". period. some [reactive]
>> peripherals can do it, unless protected. in cars, they all are. dome
>> lights are not reactive.

> No but a direct short could cause a problem in the item shorted. In the
> case of some vehicles that could be the BCM if they use it for things
> like an interior light timer/dimmer (close door and dome light stays on
> for a bit) Shorting that circuit cause problems.

rubbish.

>> fact 2 - ohmic behavior dictates that battery voltage drops as current
>> increases, not the other way around.

> Yes BUT take a chunk of wire and toss it across the battery. Measure the
> battery voltage. It likely won't cause a voltage drop as it heats up and
> melts.

"likely"??? dude, it /definitely/ does! grade school science class.

>> fact 3 - ecu's are "idiot proofed". per #1, a dome light has no
>> reaction that could possibly cause a problem, even if the ecu was
>> unprotected.

> VERY WRONG. ECUs are easy to kill if you are not paying attention. My
> SOP in the body shop is to pull the ECU on anything that rolls in for
> panel work. One good zap from a welder can kill the ECU without being
> near it.

eh? welding is a whole different ball game to shorting a fuse protected
light circuit. welding is done at voltages and currents in excess of
those seen in vehicle operation, and is accompanies by all kinds of
radio frequency noise, both from the spark and the welder, depending on
welder type! yes, it's good to disconnect the ecu while welding. no,
shorting a light circuit doesn't replicate those conditions.

Old November 12th 07, 04:10 AM posted to alt.autos.toyota,alt.autos.honda,rec.autos.tech
jim beam

Refinish King wrote:
> On about 92 and up:
>
> The dome light is connected to the Body Control Module.

yes, which is not the ecu!

Old November 13th 07, 01:14 AM posted to alt.autos.toyota,alt.autos.honda,rec.autos.tech
Andy Dingley

On Sun, 11 Nov 2007 02:17:38 GMT, Tony Hwang > wrote:

>No way? If short caused a surge in the electrical system, anything is
>possible.

Maybe he reversed the polarity of the Bogon Flux ?
Old November 13th 07, 01:15 AM posted to alt.autos.toyota,alt.autos.honda,rec.autos.tech
Andy Dingley

On Sun, 11 Nov 2007 21:26:28 GMT, Tony Hwang > wrote:

>Tevnin Norton's theorem, etc. If you want to debate, email me directly.

Hey, I can even _spell_ Thevenin

Old November 13th 07, 01:40 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Banned

All your base are belong to us!
cuhulin

Battery terminal short Paul Technology 6 July 10th 06 05:39 PM
Battery terminal bolt replacement [email protected] Chrysler 5 June 15th 06 11:43 PM
How to change the battery terminal Jonelle H via CarKB.com Ford Explorer 1 September 5th 05 01:13 PM
Water on positive battery terminal? Leon van Dommelen Mazda 13 August 2nd 05 05:10 PM
1973 THING - what is the ground? Negative or Positive battery terminal? [email protected] VW air cooled 2 June 25th 05 05:36 PM