Ever been in that situation

Old March 23rd 08, 12:53 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Banned

Default Ever been in that situation

About a month ago, I saw an article somewhere on the intenet about some
new electronic shoppinng carts that have built in price scannners.Why
can't Wal Mart buy some decent shopping carts? Most of them have at one
wheel out of line, it makes the karts want to go all over the place.Wal
Mart stores have some neat battery powered pusher thingys which have a
remote control.They are used for pushing the long lines of empty
shopping carts from the parkng lot back into the store.Those guys used
to use Flexi 26 feet long dog leashes (just like the one I use for my
dog) to pull those shopping carts back into the store.
cuhulin

Old March 23rd 08, 12:56 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
aarcuda69062

In article >,
Simpson <"tinauxide > wrote:

> Tegger wrote:
> > aarcuda69062 > wrote in
> > :

> >> Maybe I don't understand the self check out system.
> >> Do you get a % discount on your purchase when using it?

> > I refuse to use the self-checkouts, and I make that fact known to the
> > cashier I end up at. When I eat out at a restaurant, am I expected to go to
> > the kitchen and place my own food order with the cooks?
> >
> > Self-checkouts are a sneaky way for retail outlets to cut their labor
> > costs. That's all.
> >
> > Y'know what /is/ a really good idea? What Wal-Mart has done as a test in
> > certain stores. They've arranged several checkouts to be served by one
> > lineup. Sort of like the teller line at your bank, but better: you are told
> > visually and audially which checkout to go to as it becomes available. Very
> > nice. No more getting stuck in a line that gets held up by a price check or
> > some old lady fumbling through her purse for change or some other glitch.
> > I've often wondered why other retailers haven't tried that.

> Great, what an improvement... now *everyone* gets stuck in a line that
> gets held up by a price check or some old lady fumbling through her
> purse for change.

No you wouldn't. One line queuing multiple registers.

No more 'oh **** I picked the wrong register again.'
Old March 23rd 08, 01:15 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Tegger

Simpson <"tinauxide > wrote in
et:

> Tegger wrote:

>> Y'know what /is/ a really good idea? What Wal-Mart has done as a test
>> in certain stores. They've arranged several checkouts to be served by
>> one lineup. Sort of like the teller line at your bank, but better:
>> you are told visually and audially which checkout to go to as it
>> becomes available. Very nice. No more getting stuck in a line that
>> gets held up by a price check or some old lady fumbling through her
>> purse for change or some other glitch. I've often wondered why other
>> retailers haven't tried that.

> Great, what an improvement... now *everyone* gets stuck in a line that
> gets held up by a price check or some old lady fumbling through her
> purse for change.

You've got that quite backwards.

If you go to your local bank and one of the tellers gets stuck with some
old lady who wants to tell her all about her new great-grandson, do you
have to wait until she's done? No. One of the other tellers will be
available long before that.

That's the beauty of the "single customer line, multiple cashier" approach.

I think the banks abandoned the "single line, single teller" model, oh,
about 1980. It may be fairly said that other retailers are still stuck in
1979. Leisure suits, anyone?

--
Tegger

Old March 24th 08, 02:02 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
HLS

"aarcuda69062" > wrote in message

>> > What other uncompensated jobs do you have?

>> No job is every uncompensated, in one way or another.

> Maybe I don't understand the self check out system.
> Do you get a % discount on your purchase when using it?

Nope, you dont get a discount. I think the system is in custom evaluation
and
development so that eventually the machine will supplant the check out
counter
person. People are expensive.

I use these counters when the lines are long and moving slowly. Most people
dont use the automated checkout stands, so I can avoid the wait. It is a
time saver, which is compensation of a sort.

Old March 24th 08, 02:05 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
HLS

"Tegger" > wrote in message
> I refuse to use the self-checkouts, and I make that fact known to the
> cashier I end up at. When I eat out at a restaurant, am I expected to go
> the kitchen and place my own food order with the cooks?

We call that a cafeteria, Tegger ;>)
Advantage is that you can see the food as you order, is faster, maybe a
little cheaper.

If we go out to "dine", we can expect to spend an hour or two in the
restaurant. If
we go to "eat", we can cut that time in half.

Old March 24th 08, 03:09 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
*

Tegger > wrote in article
> aarcuda69062 > wrote in
> :

> >> No job is every uncompensated, in one way or another.

> > Maybe I don't understand the self check out system.
> > Do you get a % discount on your purchase when using it?

> I refuse to use the self-checkouts, and I make that fact known to the
> cashier I end up at. When I eat out at a restaurant, am I expected to go

> the kitchen and place my own food order with the cooks?

When you eat at places like Mickey D and Booger King you do!!!!

AND, you deliver the food to the table............

They even guilt you into bussing your own table............

Do you tip yourself 15%?

Old March 24th 08, 08:51 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Tegger

"HLS" > wrote in
:

> "Tegger" > wrote in message
>> I refuse to use the self-checkouts, and I make that fact known to the
>> cashier I end up at. When I eat out at a restaurant, am I expected to
>> go to
>> the kitchen and place my own food order with the cooks?

> We call that a cafeteria, Tegger ;>)

All right then...

If you go to a cafeteria, are you expected to run the cash register when
you pay for your order?

> Advantage is that you can see the food as you order, is faster, maybe
> a little cheaper.

Exactly aarcuda's point.

--
Tegger

Old March 24th 08, 08:53 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Tegger

"*" > wrote in

> Tegger > wrote in article
>> aarcuda69062 > wrote in
>> :

>> > Maybe I don't understand the self check out system.
>> > Do you get a % discount on your purchase when using it?

>> I refuse to use the self-checkouts, and I make that fact known to the
>> cashier I end up at. When I eat out at a restaurant, am I expected to
>> go to the kitchen and place my own food order with the cooks?
>>

> When you eat at places like Mickey D and Booger King you do!!!!

No, you deal with the cashiers. THEY deal with the kitchen.

> AND, you deliver the food to the table............
>
> They even guilt you into bussing your own table............

And you also pay less than you would at a sit-down restaurant.

> Do you tip yourself 15%?

Every chance I get.

--
Tegger

Odd starting situation.. Rich Jeep 6 June 13th 07 02:20 AM
Battery situation billy ray Jeep 8 September 7th 06 03:55 PM
Another PO171 situation hvsteve Technology 41 October 22nd 05 05:39 AM
Another generator situation Technology 10 October 15th 05 01:59 PM
ELECTRICAL situation in '75 BUS -- Terry VW air cooled 8 April 10th 05 06:05 PM