Engine swap

Old June 14th 05, 02:17 AM
John Dodd

Default Engine swap

looking to put a small block chevy in a 92 wrangler. found a web site summit
racing that sell the motor mounts. bolt on not sure about the tranny. It's
a 700r 4 speed auto. Anyone out ever done this or any suggestions. thanks jd

Old June 14th 05, 03:38 AM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

http://www.advanceadapters.com/catalog/003.html
http://www.novak-adapt.com/
http://www.rubicon4x4.com/catalog/tr...e-p-23183.html
http://eshop.advanceadapters.com/com...=1107937290859
Buy it ten cents on the dollar:
http://www.jeep-classifieds.com/cobr...=20025&s=11468
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Old June 14th 05, 04:28 AM

Every loser and his aunt puts a smallblock Chevy in a Jeep. Show a
little class and be more creative.

Old June 14th 05, 05:23 AM
William G.

How about this one?? Have a friend that has an 89 Wrangler with the 2.5L 4
cyl. Motor is very tired. How difficult would a transplant of the Jeep
4.0L 6 cyl? Has manual tansmission. What else do we need to know? Is that
a good engine for that vehicle? He would like to use it for hunting, etc,
no drag racing :-)
Or would the small block chevy be a better choice? Is that why everybody is
doing the Chevy swap or is it price? Creativity has it's place but
practicality will sometime win out.

Old June 14th 05, 12:29 PM
DougW

William G. did pass the time by typing:
> How about this one?? Have a friend that has an 89 Wrangler with the 2.5L 4
> cyl. Motor is very tired. How difficult would a transplant of the Jeep
> 4.0L 6 cyl? Has manual tansmission. What else do we need to know? Is that
> a good engine for that vehicle? He would like to use it for hunting, etc,
> no drag racing :-)
> Or would the small block chevy be a better choice? Is that why everybody is
> doing the Chevy swap or is it price? Creativity has it's place but
> practicality will sometime win out.

Here you go.
http://www.off-road.com/4x4web/features/1999/03/

As for the Chevy smallblock... the venerable 350 is no slouch. Besides
having no complicated electronics it is much easier and cheaper to
transplant than a modern day compooter controlled engine and tranny.
Always remember to include the electonics in any transplant, that's where
the cost can bite you in the wallet.

--
DougW

Old June 15th 05, 01:08 AM

The modern smallblock is a fully electronic engine. Late model ones
can be fitted with a carb, but they are distributorless so you need an
expensive conversion electronic ignition setup.

Most people WANT electronic engines today-for drivability and fuel
mileage and power, plus, unless you are in a no inspection state,
putting a CPU-less engine in a late model chassis is almost impossible.
About the only way around it might be if you ran LPG or CNG and even
then some states would still demand all the stuff that was there still
be-cat con, air pump, EGR, et al.

There are after market electronic control systems that give you full
programmability over RS-232 instead of automotive bull**** protocols,
adapt to most crank and cam position sensors and MAFs, and fire most
common injectors, but they are either high dollar or are DIY projects
you need to build from boards and write the firmware in assembler or
C++.

The AMC six just isn't all that bad an engine really....

Old June 15th 05, 03:12 AM
William G.

I agree that the AMC 6 is a decent engine for that purpose.
I was thinking that to upgrade from the 4 banger to the 6 would be a logical
one, probably mostly bolt in and since it is sticking with the same car
company, maybe even the electronics will be a bit more compatible. I guess
I was mostly wondering about the ease of the upgrade. If some poor *******
rolled his Wrangler and it had the 6 cyl and a guy could buy the whole
wrecked rig, then maybe the transplant would not be such a big deal. Would
the manual transmission from the 4 cyl bolt up to the 6? If it does, would
it stay together with the increased power/torque? That's the kind of
information I was looking for when I first posted the messge. Thought that
somebody out there had done this and would point me in the right direction.
Since we are in Idaho, and most of the area has no emission testing yet, we
could probably get by with about any modification we wanted.

Old June 15th 05, 03:43 AM
William G.

This site has ALL the answers for engine swapping ;-) I am impressed with
the amount of info here for anybody contemplating an engine swap.
http://www.novak-adapt.com/knowledge...es_general.htm
Found it in an earlier post.

Old June 15th 05, 05:30 AM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Apples and oranges: http://www.billhughes.com/ax5_ax15.jpg Take the
transmission and different input spline transfer, too.
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O

Old June 15th 05, 04:28 PM
William G.

Hey thanks. I read that the 4 cyl transmission was crap anyway, not really
strong enough for the 4 cyl! So now the transplant is getting a bit more
extensive but not too bad yet. How about the transfer case and
differentials? Did they put wimpy ones behind the 2.5L? Would they have to
be replaced? Should he just buy a different rig? Don't mind doing the work
but maybe starting with the 2.5L rig is not a good spot to start?