At the Gas Pump.

Old April 20th 11, 12:44 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B[_2_]

Default At the Gas Pump.

On Tue, 19 Apr 2011 15:52:28 -0500, hls wrote:

> "Brent" > wrote in message
>>
>> If we had real money prices would be stable and the wages wouldn't lose
>> purchasing power. Actually most everything would go down in price year
>> after year as companies found new ways to make things and productivity
>> increased. Right now that and then some is sucked up in the inflation
>> tax.
>>

> The loss of value of the US dollar is frightening. Gold reached $1500
> per ounce
> today and silver is, I believe, over $40. Those metals have not "gone
> up". The
> dollar is now a rag bag currency. Thank you, Mr. Obama, but this is not
> the idea of "change" that most people wanted.

But pretty much what he had in mind....
Old April 20th 11, 12:52 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Tegger[_3_]

Ashton Crusher > wrote in
:

> Some talking head on the radio today said the majority of the $1 runup
> in price was due to all the oil speculators manipulating the market.

What comes first, the flies or the garbage?

--
Tegger
Old April 20th 11, 12:56 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Brent[_4_]

On 2011-04-19, Ashton Crusher > wrote:
> On Tue, 19 Apr 2011 01:41:18 +0000 (UTC), Brent
> wrote:

>>> Not around here. It's still Bush's fault.

>>Who's fault is it... well Bush and Obama are the front men, the public
>>face, that is for sure. But they aren't the only ones at fault. Their
>>wars have a lot to do with it, but so does the interventionist foreign
>>policy that goes way back... so pretty much every president since and
>>including TR is reponsible for that. Oil specifically at least since
>>Ike. Much of the foreign policy comes out of places such as the CFR, as
>>admitted (finally) by Hillary Clinton.
>>
>>But there is another factor... the ever declining dollar thanks to the
>>federal reserve and the deficit running federal government. As of close
>>today, a 1964, 90% silver quarter, with no collector value is worth
>>$7.85 silver melt. Gasoline at $4.099/gal, is 13 cents a gallon in real
>>money. Real money being the constitutionally defined dollar as a weight
>>of silver.
>>

> Some talking head on the radio today said the majority of the $1 runup
> in price was due to all the oil speculators manipulating the market.

But nobody in the media ever asks by what mechanisms and by what means
the speculators manipulate the market. (they do, but there's something
more behind it than that)

Old April 20th 11, 01:16 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Tegger[_3_]

Brent > wrote in
:

Old April 20th 11, 01:20 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Tegger[_3_]

"hls" > wrote in
:

> "Brent" > wrote in message
>>
>> If we had real money prices would be stable and the wages wouldn't
>> lose purchasing power. Actually most everything would go down in
>> price year after year as companies found new ways to make things and
>> productivity increased. Right now that and then some is sucked up in
>> the inflation tax.
>>

> The loss of value of the US dollar is frightening. Gold reached
> $1500 per ounce
> today and silver is, I believe, over $40. Those metals have not "gone
> up". The
> dollar is now a rag bag currency. Thank you, Mr. Obama, but this is
> not the idea of "change" that most people wanted.

Don't blame Obama.

An ounce of gold bought 12 barrels of oil in the '60s. An ounce of gold
STILL buys a 12 barrels of oil today.

ALL the "inflation" you see has been in that phony government-money called
the "dollar", which has lost over 90% of its value since 1971.

Gold is real. Invented currencies are only real to those who spend it
first.

--
Tegger
Old April 20th 11, 02:32 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B[_2_]

On Tue, 19 Apr 2011 23:52:06 +0000, Tegger wrote:

> Ashton Crusher > wrote in
> :
>

>> Some talking head on the radio today said the majority of the $1 runup
>> in price was due to all the oil speculators manipulating the market.
>>

> What comes first, the flies or the garbage?

Could very easily be resolved by openeing up the Gulf to AMERICAN
companies, instead of promising to buy oil from the Gulf from the
Brazilians...

Old April 20th 11, 02:32 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
hls

"Tegger" > wrote in message
> Don't blame Obama.
>
> An ounce of gold bought 12 barrels of oil in the '60s. An ounce of gold
> STILL buys a 12 barrels of oil today.
>
> ALL the "inflation" you see has been in that phony government-money called
> the "dollar", which has lost over 90% of its value since 1971.
>
> Gold is real. Invented currencies are only real to those who spend it
> first.
> Tegger

And that has bugger all to do with anything, Tegger.. This SOB took a bad
situation and made
it worse.. He is absolutely inept. Has no clue of what to do.

Gold is real. Obama sucks.

Old April 20th 11, 03:47 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
aemeijers

On 4/19/2011 9:32 PM, hls wrote:

> "Tegger" > wrote in message
>> Don't blame Obama.
>>
>> An ounce of gold bought 12 barrels of oil in the '60s. An ounce of gold
>> STILL buys a 12 barrels of oil today.
>>
>> ALL the "inflation" you see has been in that phony government-money
>> called
>> the "dollar", which has lost over 90% of its value since 1971.
>>
>> Gold is real. Invented currencies are only real to those who spend it
>> first.
>> Tegger

> And that has bugger all to do with anything, Tegger.. This SOB took a
> bad situation and made
> it worse.. He is absolutely inept. Has no clue of what to do.
>
> Gold is real. Obama sucks.

Gold, like diamonds, isn't that rare. It is only considered a precious
metal and was used as money, due to historical accident of some people
with power having a supply of it, and tradition. It is a shame to
artificially make two very useful engineering materials too expensive to
use for mundane applications.

--
aem sends....
Old April 20th 11, 05:57 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Brent[_4_]

On 2011-04-20, aemeijers > wrote:

> Gold, like diamonds, isn't that rare. It is only considered a precious
> metal and was used as money, due to historical accident of some people
> with power having a supply of it, and tradition. It is a shame to
> artificially make two very useful engineering materials too expensive to
> use for mundane applications.

It was used as money because it

a) takes labor to find and extract from the earth.
b) does not corrode.
c) can be easily divided.
d) is rare enough that small amounts have a useful value.

There have been many things used for money but gold fills that role time
and time again because of material properties and relative scarcity.

Old April 20th 11, 02:08 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
hls

"Brent" > wrote in message
> It was used as money because it
>
> a) takes labor to find and extract from the earth.
> b) does not corrode.
> c) can be easily divided.
> d) is rare enough that small amounts have a useful value.
>
> There have been many things used for money but gold fills that role time
> and time again because of material properties and relative scarcity.

Okay, I'll throw you a bone...Why are not diamonds used as the basis of
currency?