automatic transmission failure question

Old April 26th 09, 01:46 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda,rec.autos.tech,rec.autos.misc
[email protected]

Default automatic transmission failure question

I have a 97 Honda Accord with 280K. Recently, I pulled over from
driving to check a map and when I put my car back in D, the engine
just raced like it was in neutral when I gave it gas. The reverse gear
worked for a bit in the parking lot, eventually no shifter position
resulted in movement of the vehicle. In D & R and only on a small
number of throttle applications, the car started moving forward
slightly, similar to that brief moment before the clutch on a manual
transmission is fully engaged. Before I pulled over my transmission
was working absolutely perfectly. The AAA tow guy and several repair
shops told me over the phone that the auto transmission needs to be
replaced (~$2000). Not worth it with the age of the car. Its now
sitting in my driveway. Ideally, I would tow it to a mechanic and have
them verify this for sure. Im not sure its worth spending the money
just to confirm this. Is there much of a chance that this problem
would require a repair that doesnt involve replacing the entire
automatic transmission?
Thanks

One more question. It may take a while before I sell it. I plan on
starting the engine once every 2-weeks or so to keep the engine in
good order and battery charged. Should I add an oil or gasoline
preservative?
Old April 26th 09, 02:00 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda,rec.autos.tech,rec.autos.misc
Scott Dorsey

> wrote:
>I have a 97 Honda Accord with 280K. Recently, I pulled over from
>driving to check a map and when I put my car back in D, the engine
>just raced like it was in neutral when I gave it gas. The reverse gear
>worked for a bit in the parking lot, eventually no shifter position
>resulted in movement of the vehicle. In D & R and only on a small
>number of throttle applications, the car started moving forward
>slightly, similar to that brief moment before the clutch on a manual
>transmission is fully engaged. Before I pulled over my transmission
>was working absolutely perfectly. The AAA tow guy and several repair
>shops told me over the phone that the auto transmission needs to be
>replaced (~$2000). Not worth it with the age of the car. Its now
>sitting in my driveway. Ideally, I would tow it to a mechanic and have
>them verify this for sure. Im not sure its worth spending the money
>just to confirm this. Is there much of a chance that this problem
>would require a repair that doesnt involve replacing the entire
>automatic transmission?

It might be a linkage issue, that the prindle has become disconnected
from the transmission. If this is the case, you might be able to fiddle
with it and find a position on it that will get you into drive.

But yes, for the most part automatic transmissions are sealed boxes
that you don't repair, you just replace them as a whole. 280k on a
slushbox is pretty good.

>One more question. It may take a while before I sell it. I plan on
>starting the engine once every 2-weeks or so to keep the engine in
>good order and battery charged. Should I add an oil or gasoline
>preservative?

If the transmission is bad and it has 280k on it, I would be very
surprised if you could sell it.
--scott

Old April 26th 09, 02:39 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda,rec.autos.tech,rec.autos.misc
[email protected]

Besides checking what Scott said as far as mechanical linkage goes
(when you shift, does the cable on the transmission end shifts too?),
you might just want to plug in an oil pressure gauge and read off the
line pressure. Not sure if the parts store will have these free
loaners, but may be worth a check. Not sure if an engine oil pressure
gauge will work (enough adapters and pressure range?)

The problem, I read, is that disintegrating debris plugs up the
strainer, and basically starves the transmission of fluid. If that's
the case, the ATF line pressure will be way below specs. Then just
call up a mechanic willing to put in a low miles salvage transmission
that costs < $800 installed, with a 3-month warranty from the junk
yard. If that's even worth it.

That's why later Honda retrofitted and added a transmission inline
filter. And a reason I think a remote filter would help earlier in
these cases:

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...part=BMM-80277

Old April 26th 09, 02:42 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda,rec.autos.tech,rec.autos.misc
[email protected]

Ditto. 280K miles (?) is actually pretty good. Honda's automatics are
said to be as mediocre as Hyundai transmissions as far as reliability
goes I read somewhere.

Old April 26th 09, 11:44 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda,rec.autos.tech,rec.autos.misc
krp

> wrote in message
>I have a 97 Honda Accord with 280K. Recently, I pulled over from
> driving to check a map and when I put my car back in D, the engine
> just raced like it was in neutral when I gave it gas. The reverse gear
> worked for a bit in the parking lot, eventually no shifter position
> resulted in movement of the vehicle. In D & R and only on a small
> number of throttle applications, the car started moving forward
> slightly, similar to that brief moment before the clutch on a manual
> transmission is fully engaged. Before I pulled over my transmission
> was working absolutely perfectly. The AAA tow guy and several repair
> shops told me over the phone that the auto transmission needs to be
> replaced (~$2000). Not worth it with the age of the car. Its now
> sitting in my driveway. Ideally, I would tow it to a mechanic and have
> them verify this for sure. Im not sure its worth spending the money
> just to confirm this. Is there much of a chance that this problem
> would require a repair that doesnt involve replacing the entire
> automatic transmission?

Start with this. Drain the trans fluid and change the filter. If that
doesn't do it, go to a bone yard and swap transmissions. But again change
fluid and filter on that one before driving.

Old April 26th 09, 03:20 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda,rec.autos.tech,rec.autos.misc
jim beam[_3_]

Scott Dorsey wrote:
> > wrote:
>> I have a 97 Honda Accord with 280K. Recently, I pulled over from
>> driving to check a map and when I put my car back in D, the engine
>> just raced like it was in neutral when I gave it gas. The reverse gear
>> worked for a bit in the parking lot, eventually no shifter position
>> resulted in movement of the vehicle. In D & R and only on a small
>> number of throttle applications, the car started moving forward
>> slightly, similar to that brief moment before the clutch on a manual
>> transmission is fully engaged. Before I pulled over my transmission
>> was working absolutely perfectly. The AAA tow guy and several repair
>> shops told me over the phone that the auto transmission needs to be
>> replaced (~$2000). Not worth it with the age of the car. Its now
>> sitting in my driveway. Ideally, I would tow it to a mechanic and have
>> them verify this for sure. Im not sure its worth spending the money
>> just to confirm this. Is there much of a chance that this problem
>> would require a repair that doesnt involve replacing the entire
>> automatic transmission?

> It might be a linkage issue, that the prindle has become disconnected
> from the transmission. If this is the case, you might be able to fiddle
> with it and find a position on it that will get you into drive.
>
> But yes, for the most part automatic transmissions are sealed boxes
> that you don't repair, you just replace them as a whole. 280k on a
> slushbox is pretty good.

it's not a "slushbox". it's an electronically controlled automatic, and
a highly advanced piece of engineering.

>> One more question. It may take a while before I sell it. I plan on
>> starting the engine once every 2-weeks or so to keep the engine in
>> good order and battery charged. Should I add an oil or gasoline
>> preservative?

> If the transmission is bad and it has 280k on it, I would be very
> surprised if you could sell it.

no, he needs proper diagnosis. honda autos usually last pretty well.
he may have something trivial like a driveshaft disengaged.
Old April 26th 09, 04:01 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda,rec.autos.tech,rec.autos.misc
Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B[_2_]

On Sat, 25 Apr 2009 17:46:31 -0700, wrote:

> I have a 97 Honda Accord with 280K. Recently, I pulled over from
> driving to check a map and when I put my car back in D, the engine
> just raced like it was in neutral when I gave it gas. The reverse gear
> worked for a bit in the parking lot, eventually no shifter position
> resulted in movement of the vehicle. In D & R and only on a small
> number of throttle applications, the car started moving forward
> slightly, similar to that brief moment before the clutch on a manual
> transmission is fully engaged. Before I pulled over my transmission
> was working absolutely perfectly. The AAA tow guy and several repair
> shops told me over the phone that the auto transmission needs to be
> replaced (~$2000). Not worth it with the age of the car. Its now
> sitting in my driveway. Ideally, I would tow it to a mechanic and have
> them verify this for sure. Im not sure its worth spending the money
> just to confirm this. Is there much of a chance that this problem
> would require a repair that doesnt involve replacing the entire
> automatic transmission?
> Thanks
>
> One more question. It may take a while before I sell it. I plan on
> starting the engine once every 2-weeks or so to keep the engine in
> good order and battery charged. Should I add an oil or gasoline
> preservative?

Did you check the fluid level? That would be the first thing I'd check.
Low level will cause exactly what you're talking about.

If it's not sealed, change or clean the screen (and report back the
condition of any debris you find...) and drain as much as you can and
replace it.

If you're adventerous, you can lift the front of the car, wheels off the
ground, pull the trans cooler lines (the one that pumps to the radiator),
get a few quarts of trans fluid and 'flush' the tranny by letting the car
idle in drive and pump the fluid out the tube while you replace it through
the filler. However, on a tranny this old that sounds like it may have
never been service, this could remove the loose friction material which
may be the only thing keeping it moving!

DON'T have it powerflushed!!! It's too old, and then you really would need
to replace it.

Old April 26th 09, 04:43 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda,rec.autos.tech,rec.autos.misc
krp

"Hachiroku ハチ*ク" > wrote in message
news
> On Sat, 25 Apr 2009 17:46:31 -0700, wrote:
>
>> I have a 97 Honda Accord with 280K. Recently, I pulled over from
>> driving to check a map and when I put my car back in D, the engine
>> just raced like it was in neutral when I gave it gas. The reverse gear
>> worked for a bit in the parking lot, eventually no shifter position
>> resulted in movement of the vehicle. In D & R and only on a small
>> number of throttle applications, the car started moving forward
>> slightly, similar to that brief moment before the clutch on a manual
>> transmission is fully engaged. Before I pulled over my transmission
>> was working absolutely perfectly. The AAA tow guy and several repair
>> shops told me over the phone that the auto transmission needs to be
>> replaced (~$2000). Not worth it with the age of the car. Its now
>> sitting in my driveway. Ideally, I would tow it to a mechanic and have
>> them verify this for sure. Im not sure its worth spending the money
>> just to confirm this. Is there much of a chance that this problem
>> would require a repair that doesnt involve replacing the entire
>> automatic transmission?
>> Thanks
>>
>> One more question. It may take a while before I sell it. I plan on
>> starting the engine once every 2-weeks or so to keep the engine in
>> good order and battery charged. Should I add an oil or gasoline
>> preservative?

> Did you check the fluid level? That would be the first thing I'd check.
> Low level will cause exactly what you're talking about.
>
> If it's not sealed, change or clean the screen (and report back the
> condition of any debris you find...) and drain as much as you can and
> replace it.
>
> If you're adventerous, you can lift the front of the car, wheels off the
> ground, pull the trans cooler lines (the one that pumps to the radiator),
> get a few quarts of trans fluid and 'flush' the tranny by letting the car
> idle in drive and pump the fluid out the tube while you replace it through
> the filler. However, on a tranny this old that sounds like it may have
> never been service, this could remove the loose friction material which
> may be the only thing keeping it moving!
>
> DON'T have it powerflushed!!! It's too old, and then you really would need
> to replace it.

Sounds like he might luck out with just a normal fluid change and new
trans filter. Not big bucks. Most shops will do it for around $100.

Old April 26th 09, 06:06 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda,rec.autos.tech,rec.autos.misc
Hal

> just to confirm this. *Is there much of a chance that this problem
> would require a repair that doesnt involve replacing the entire
> automatic transmission?
> Thanks

Unlikely. Even if it was something simple, at 280k on an automatic
transaxle you are on borrowed time anyway.

If the rest of the car is pretty nice(Paint, interior, engine runs
good and has been maintained) then I'd go get a used junkyard
transaxle with a 90 day warranty and put that in the car and keep
driving. Even if you had to pay a shop to install the used transaxle
it would still be cheaper than having your current box rebuilt.

A 1997 PaidFor in good running condition beats the hell out of a new
car in my book.....

Good luck with it.

Chris
Old April 26th 09, 06:16 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda,rec.autos.tech,rec.autos.misc
jim beam[_3_]

Hal wrote:
>> just to confirm this. �Is there much of a chance that this problem
>> would require a repair that doesnt involve replacing the entire
>> automatic transmission?
>> Thanks

> Unlikely. Even if it was something simple, at 280k on an automatic
> transaxle you are on borrowed time anyway.

but it's a honda. what he doesn't say though is whether it was a v6 -
those had serious issues.

> If the rest of the car is pretty nice(Paint, interior, engine runs
> good and has been maintained) then I'd go get a used junkyard
> transaxle with a 90 day warranty and put that in the car and keep
> driving. Even if you had to pay a shop to install the used transaxle
> it would still be cheaper than having your current box rebuilt.

better yet, buy a low mileage used jdm transmission from japan.

> A 1997 PaidFor in good running condition beats the hell out of a new
> car in my book.....

definitely.