Clearing out A/C condenser drain holes

Old July 20th 05, 02:36 AM
MPost

Default Clearing out A/C condenser drain holes

I believe the drain holes where condensate from my air conditioner drains
are plugged up. I don't see any water dripping on the ground when I run the
A/C and I get a faint smell of mildew when I first start up the fan.
Unfortunately, my Chilton's manual doesn't show where these holes are or how
to clear them out. Can anyone give me some pointers and/or point me to a
diagram on the internet?

Thanks in advance.

Old July 20th 05, 03:43 AM
Mikus

I had a musty smell awhile back and fixed it without any disassemble or
work.

Try this first:

Close all the vents on the for the AC.
Put the Fan on full.
With the vents closed, the back pressure of the air may very well blow the
drains clear.

I also poured some bleach down there to kill the mold and muck.

Old July 20th 05, 04:05 AM
Mikus

Oh yes, I also believe you need it on reticulate.

.. .

Old July 20th 05, 02:31 PM
Art

Bleach is a bad idea. Residue may damage coils. Lysol spray is better
choice or purchase foam designed for the purpose from car dealership. I am
surprised that back pressure could clear it.

.. .

Old July 20th 05, 10:02 PM
Skip

Art wrote:
> Bleach is a bad idea. Residue may damage coils. Lysol spray is better
> choice or purchase foam designed for the purpose from car dealership. I am
> surprised that back pressure could clear it.
>

> "Mikus" > wrote in message
> .. .
>
>>I had a musty smell awhile back and fixed it without any disassemble or
>>work.
>>
>>Try this first:
>>
>>Close all the vents on the for the AC.
>>Put the Fan on full.
>>With the vents closed, the back pressure of the air may very well blow the
>>drains clear.
>>
>>I also poured some bleach down there to kill the mold and muck.
>>
>>"MPost" > wrote in message
>>
>>>I believe the drain holes where condensate from my air conditioner drains
>>>are plugged up. I don't see any water dripping on the ground when I run
>>>the A/C and I get a faint smell of mildew when I first start up the fan.
>>>Unfortunately, my Chilton's manual doesn't show where these holes are or
>>>how to clear them out. Can anyone give me some pointers and/or point me to
>>>a diagram on the internet?
>>>
>>>Thanks in advance.

I'd be worried about using bleach, especially when your drains are
clogged, unless you enjoy the smell of bleach There are commercial
products made specifically for this, you dump it down the vent intake in
front of your windshield. As for locating the drains, can't help you
there....

Benjamin Franklin
Old July 21st 05, 03:04 AM
MPost

Interesting idea. I tried the back pressure technique, but unfortunately, it
didn't work for me. Any other ideas on how to locate and clear the drain
holes?

. ..

Old July 21st 05, 04:50 AM
Jonnie Santos

MPost wrote:
> Interesting idea. I tried the back pressure technique, but unfortunately, it
> didn't work for me. Any other ideas on how to locate and clear the drain
> holes?
>
> "Mikus" > wrote in message
> . ..
>
>>Oh yes, I also believe you need it on reticulate.
>>

>>"Mikus" > wrote in message
>>
>>>I had a musty smell awhile back and fixed it without any disassemble or
>>>work.
>>>
>>>Try this first:
>>>
>>>Close all the vents on the for the AC.
>>>Put the Fan on full.
>>>With the vents closed, the back pressure of the air may very well blow
>>>the drains clear.
>>>
>>>I also poured some bleach down there to kill the mold and muck.

Didn't see what model is being discussed - when I drove a 97 I pulled
the blower motor (3 screws) and poured a little water down the ducting
from the motor location towards the condenser housing and it dribbled
out in the engine bay from a black rubber L-shaped do-dad located low on
the firewall about midway. When I had the warm and fuzzies it was
draining, I sprayed some (a lot) of anti-bacterial windex down the same
vent. It worked for a long while. I also paid to have it down at the
dealer - lasted maybe a little longer and smelled a lot cleaner (don't
know if that was just fragrance or the dealer did a more thorough/better
job).
Old July 22nd 05, 04:20 AM
Mikus

Now that you mention Lysol, It was indeed what I put down the vent, Not
Bleach.
It had been long enough since I did it, that I forgot.

nk.net...

Old July 22nd 05, 12:22 PM
MPost

"Jonnie Santos" > wrote in message
> MPost wrote:
>> Interesting idea. I tried the back pressure technique, but unfortunately,
>> it didn't work for me. Any other ideas on how to locate and clear the
>> drain holes?
>>
>> "Mikus" > wrote in message
>> . ..
>>
>>>Oh yes, I also believe you need it on reticulate.

t...

Old July 22nd 05, 12:23 PM
MPost

My car is a 93 SC-2. I'm a little surprised Chilton's doesn't show how the
drain works...sounds like a pretty basic operation that lots of people would
want to do for themselves.

"Jonnie Santos" > wrote in message
> MPost wrote:
>> Interesting idea. I tried the back pressure technique, but unfortunately,
>> it didn't work for me. Any other ideas on how to locate and clear the
>> drain holes?
>>
>> "Mikus" > wrote in message
>> . ..
>>
>>>Oh yes, I also believe you need it on reticulate.

t...

Drain holes [email protected] Saturn 3 June 9th 05 10:22 PM
91 Integra Condenser Fan Keeps Running sean Honda 1 January 19th 05 05:23 AM
rec.autos.makers.chrysler FAQ, Part 1/6 Dr. David Zatz Chrysler 10 December 2nd 04 06:19 AM
Drain holes ISando Mazda 0 November 17th 04 03:06 PM
In-the-tank fuel pumps cause death and destruction Silver Surfer Chrysler 293 November 7th 04 04:41 PM