Should BAC limits be left up to the individual driver?

Old January 14th 05, 05:38 AM
Mike Z. Helm

On Thu, 13 Jan 2005 23:19:34 -0500, "Scott M. Kozel"

>"C.H." > wrote:
>>
>> Olaf Gustafson wrote:

>> > Are you sure you're not drunk right now?

>> Yes. However, I am by no means sure that you are not drunk.

>Chris, are you sure that you are not arguing with a bunch of drunks? :-]

Well, you know what they say about arguing on usenet
Old January 14th 05, 05:44 AM
Mike Z. Helm

On Thu, 13 Jan 2005 20:08:33 -0800, "C.H." >

>>>You may even kill someone sober

>> Not gonna happen.

>You must be among the stupidest 2% of drivers, if you really think that
>you cannot make a mistake that leads to someone else's death. And you must
>be even more stupid if you think that you can't make that mistake even
>drunk.

The odds are in his favor. Seriously, most people never get in an
accident which results in serious injury (or death) in their entire
lifetime and plenty of people do occasionally imbibe (be it 1 or many
drinks) and later get behind the wheel.

>>>and the risk of you killing someone even when driving with legal BAC is
>>>_drastically_ higher.

>> Again, I ask you to define "drastically".

>Depending on whose numbers you believe anywhere between 400% and 1000%.

lmao - you mean whether we use yours or MADD's numbers?

Since you're claiming to be the voice of reason, your number must be
1000%, right?

>>>To assert that you will not kill anyone, let alone that you will not
>>>kill anyone drunk, is quite simply wrong.

>> Wrong? So you do in fact "know" that I will kill someone?

>No, I just know that there is no driver out there, who can guarantee he
>will never make a mistake that leads to someone else's death and that you
>are no exception, even though you apparently are stupid enough to believe
>that (see above).

It's a safe bet for most people even if they do have a few drinks over
the course of a few hours and then drive a couple of miles a few times a
year.

>>>Also self deception.

>> Well, here's your opportunity to show me that MOST people who drink and
>> drive cause accidents.

>Where did I say that most people who drink and drive cause accidents?

Well, you did the statement, "most people who drink and drive don't even
cause accidents" a "deception".

Quod Erat Demonstratum

Old January 14th 05, 05:44 AM
Mike Z. Helm

Old January 14th 05, 05:52 AM
Scott M. Kozel

"C.H." > wrote:

> Scott M. Kozel wrote:

> >> Yes. However, I am by no means sure that you are not drunk.

> > Chris, are you sure that you are not arguing with a bunch of drunks? :-]

> By now I am pretty sure I _am_ arguing with a bunch of drunks.

I've been wondering about this "Olaf"... is that a screen name?
It sounds like the sound of violent regurgitation...

O L A F !

One of the results of having too much to drink...

--
Scott M. Kozel Highway and Transportation History Websites
Virginia/Maryland/Washington, D.C. http://www.roadstothefuture.com
Old January 14th 05, 05:52 AM
Scott M. Kozel

Old January 14th 05, 05:54 AM
Mike Z. Helm

On Thu, 13 Jan 2005 19:31:50 -0800, "C.H." >

>A lot of people, specifically alcoholics can not simply ignore the feeling.

Of course someone physically addicted cannot simply ignore the feeling,
but they can endure it and choose not to indulge.
Old January 14th 05, 05:54 AM
Mike Z. Helm

Old January 14th 05, 05:55 AM
Mike Z. Helm

On Thu, 13 Jan 2005 19:22:21 -0800, "C.H." >

>>>Nice namecalling here, Matthew. I am not a neo-prohibitionist, and the
>>>neo-prohibitionists would probably be offended by the beer in my fridge
>>>(which reminds me, I need to try the new Trader Joe's Hefeweizen tonight
>>>when I don't have to drive any more).

>> Uh oh - CH *needs* a drink. Better talk to a counselor.

>I decided not to have it after all, so you can send your counselor home.

Going out of your way to prove to yourself that you're not an alcoholic,
are you?

That's a sure sign of alcoholism right there.

Don't even try to deny it unless you want more proof that you're an
alkie.
Old January 14th 05, 05:55 AM
Mike Z. Helm

Old January 14th 05, 05:56 AM
Bernd Felsche

"C.H." > writes:
>On Thu, 13 Jan 2005 15:26:06 -0600, Matthew Russotto wrote:
>> In article >,
>> C.H. > wrote:

>>>Or a bicycle.

>> Clever neo-prohibitionists have gotten the drunk driving laws
>> applied to bicycles.

>You won't believe it, drunk driving laws are applied to cars too
>and if you are too drunk to bike you are also too drunk to drive -
>as seen from the standpoint of the law. Or are you trying to say,
>that you get so drunk that you can't ride in a straight line any
>more and hope that the heavier car won't show your impairment off
>as much as the less stable bike?

You've really lost the plot.

<sarcasm>
We (tinw) all know that you have to pedal faster to stabilise the
bicycle. So the more drunk you are, the faster you should go!
</sarcasm>
\ / ASCII ribbon campaign | I'm a .signature virus!
X against HTML mail | Copy me into your ~/.signature
/ \ and postings | to help me spread!