Listerine Drinker Arrested for DUI

Old January 18th 05, 08:35 AM
Robert F Merrill

Laura Bush murdered her boy friend wrote:

> I don't care where she got the alcohol, the point is she was driving
> drunk and should be imprisoned.

Shut the **** up and stop posting in this newsgroup. You reply to every
single goddamn thread with the same **** and it was funny for about 3
seconds.

You're a dumb ****ing gimmick, so please get the hell out or alternately
kill yourself.
Old January 18th 05, 02:40 PM
Larry Bud

Nate Nagel wrote:
> Larry Bud wrote:
>
> > LeMod Pol wrote:
> >
> >>Talk about weird <G>

> > Kitty Dukakis entered therapy for drinking rubbing alcohol and

perfume.

> > At least Listerine is designed to go into the mouth!!
> >

> >>Ries showed signs of intoxication after her car
> >>rear-ended another vehicle Sunday, Shadbolt said. She
> >>told police she had not consumed any alcohol and also
> >>passed a Breathalyzer test, but "there was something
> >>not quite right about her," Shadbolt said.

> > Wonder why she passed a breathalyzer??
> >

> Rubbing alcohol? RUBBING ALCOHOL? doesn't "denatured" mean "it'll

kill
> ya if ya drink enough?"

Rubbing alcohol is isopropyl alcohol, not denatured.

Denatured is used for thinning shellac, a good clean fuel for lamps,
and it's used in my Braun auto cleaning electric shaver solution.

Old January 18th 05, 02:40 PM
Larry Bud

Old January 18th 05, 04:12 PM
Matthew Russotto

In article .com>,
Harry K > wrote:
>It's wood alcohol that will kill you. I though that rubbing alcohol
>-was- wood alcohol. Denatured -afaik- is de-watered. Alcohol is
>highly hygroscopic (if that is the right term) and will suck water from
>anything handy. That is the reason there is no 200 proof alcohol.
>Harry K

There IS 200 proof (ethyl) alcohol, it's often called absolute alcohol
and can be bought from chemical supply houses.

Denatured alcohol is alcohol which has been adulterated with additives
which will make you sick if you drink it, and/or make it unpalatable.

Rubbing alcohol is typically isopropyl alcohol or denatured ethanol.
I think methanol (wood alcohol) is too poisonous to use as rubbing
alcohol, as it can cause serious problems even when merely absorbed
through the skin.
Old January 18th 05, 04:12 PM
Matthew Russotto

Old January 18th 05, 04:15 PM
Matthew Russotto

In article ich.edu>,
Daniel J. Stern > wrote:

>No, de-watered is "anhydrous". Denatured alcohol ("Methylated Spirit",
>"Methyl Hydrate") is ethanol to which some methanol has been added.

Methanol is one adulterant, but acetone is also used.

Old January 18th 05, 04:15 PM
Matthew Russotto

Old January 18th 05, 05:31 PM
C. E. White

Matthew Russotto wrote:

> There IS 200 proof (ethyl) alcohol, it's often called absolute alcohol
> and can be bought from chemical supply houses.

I won't stay 200 proof for long. Once you open the bottle,
it will suck moisture from the air and turn itself into 190
proof (or less) just like Harry said.

Ed
Old January 18th 05, 05:31 PM
C. E. White

Old January 18th 05, 09:50 PM
Motorhead Lawyer

C. E. White wrote:
> Matthew Russotto wrote:
>
> > There IS 200 proof (ethyl) alcohol, it's often called absolute

alcohol
> > and can be bought from chemical supply houses.

> I won't stay 200 proof for long. Once you open the bottle,
> it will suck moisture from the air and turn itself into 190
> proof (or less) just like Harry said.

No; the reason that ethanol is generally sold for consumption at no
higher concentration than 95% (190 proof) is that it is all *distilled*
spirits. When you distill alcohol from any of the usual plant sources
(grapes, potatoes, whatever), the purest concentration is a 95%
azeotrope with 5% other organic impurities. There's no reason you
couldn't drink 100% (200 proof) alcohol. It's just that it's that 5%
impurity that imparts whatever flavor there is in it.

While I'm not sure how *fast* pure alcohol absorbs water, I doubt it's
anywhere near as fast as you suppose.
--
C.R. Krieger
(Too many years in chemlabs)