Switched Power Supply Source

Old May 11th 05, 05:12 PM
jhonny

Default Switched Power Supply Source

Hi there,
I am trying to find a switched power supply source on my 99 ford
explorer, I have looked around but cannot really find anything. I am
trying to install a radar detector and in the instruction it says that
I have to connect the red wire to a switched power supply. Can anyone
help me figure this thing out, any help would be appreciated.
Thanks

Old May 12th 05, 12:39 AM
John Riggs

Find a hot wire that is hot when you have the ignition turned on. I'd
tap the radio power for this. that way it is OFF when you turn off the
ignition. It's also the easiest one to find.

oups.com...

Old May 12th 05, 02:02 AM
jhonny

Thanks for replying, now how can I find the radio power wire?

Old May 12th 05, 06:26 AM
John Riggs

I'd just tap into that as it goes into the fuse panel, otherwise you
will have to find your way under the dash and look for it.

There are other lines you can tap, but that is the one I would use. Your
call.

"jhonny" > wrote in message
oups.com...
| Thanks for replying, now how can I find the radio power wire?
|
| John Riggs wrote:
| > Find a hot wire that is hot when you have the ignition turned on. I'd
|
| > tap the radio power for this. that way it is OFF when you turn off
| the
| > ignition. It's also the easiest one to find.
| >

| > "jhonny" > wrote in message
| > oups.com...
| > | Hi there,
| > | I am trying to find a switched power supply source on my 99 ford
| > | explorer, I have looked around but cannot really find anything. I
| am
| > | trying to install a radar detector and in the instruction it says
| that
| > | I have to connect the red wire to a switched power supply. Can
| anyone
| > | help me figure this thing out, any help would be appreciated.
| > | Thanks
| > |

Old May 13th 05, 03:28 AM
Herb Kauhry

My preference is to get a relay (one of those sold for foglamps, etc. is
fine and readily avalable at most auto parts stores), and connect that way.
That minimizes the load on whatever circuit you tap into and you can run a
fused lead back to the battery if you like (I usually like to do that).

Old May 13th 05, 05:45 AM
John Riggs

I'm just giving options. He wanted to know what a switched circuit was.