Differential Leak- follow up .

Old September 26th 06, 10:42 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Foon

Default Differential Leak- follow up .

I made my trip with no problem, put the car in a shop for an eval. Leaking from
one or both axle seals. My dealer wants $500 to replace the seals. $100 parts
kit, $370 labor and $30+ for shop supplies, taxes etc. When I asked the shop
manager if this was a common repair he said no. When I asked if there was
anything I did or could do to prevent it happening again he said it was probably
bad luck, seals don't usually give up with so few miles and only routine
driving. Unfortunately, my warranty is up and the seals were not subject to a
Ford repair recall or bulletin. A local repair shop wants $390 for the same job
but their track record with previous repairs on another car has not been
excellent. They couldn't tell me if they would be using Ford parts. Anyone know
which price is reasonable for this job? I can nurse the leaks for a few more
days but should get it fixed before I head out on a longer trip. Advice,
suggestions all appreciated.

Old September 26th 06, 11:27 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Bill Hall

For the additional $110.00, I would definitely go with the Dealer shop. Had
a lady friend take her 98 Ex. to a Goodyear Store for similar work and the
bill was over $550, plus it had to go back 2 times after to get the small
problems worked out.. Additionally, when you think about it $390.00 for
labor charge is VERY reasonable! FWIW :>)
Bill

Old September 27th 06, 03:12 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Ron Bozich

Your 03 has the IR type rear, my advice is to go with the Ford dealer as
he will have the experience and the right parts and tools to do the job
right. Not all nut busters can work on the Ford IR rear and get it right
the first time. Just because some nut buster saw it done last year does
not mean he can do it for you this year.

Ron

Foon wrote:

> I made my trip with no problem, put the car in a shop for an eval. Leaking from
> one or both axle seals. My dealer wants $500 to replace the seals. $100 parts
> kit, $370 labor and $30+ for shop supplies, taxes etc. When I asked the shop
> manager if this was a common repair he said no. When I asked if there was
> anything I did or could do to prevent it happening again he said it was probably
> bad luck, seals don't usually give up with so few miles and only routine
> driving. Unfortunately, my warranty is up and the seals were not subject to a
> Ford repair recall or bulletin. A local repair shop wants $390 for the same job
> but their track record with previous repairs on another car has not been
> excellent. They couldn't tell me if they would be using Ford parts. Anyone know
> which price is reasonable for this job? I can nurse the leaks for a few more
> days but should get it fixed before I head out on a longer trip. Advice,
> suggestions all appreciated.

mystery of corolla differential runs dry Jack Technology 23 July 18th 14 09:56 AM
Differential leak Foon Ford Explorer 6 September 26th 06 07:24 AM
Coolant Leak. On & Off Richard Ford Mustang 3 August 8th 05 03:57 PM
Jeep Cherokee Coolant Leak Ankors Chrysler 1 January 23rd 05 06:01 PM