Get Mazda Protege ready for college use. What maint?

Old June 28th 05, 02:37 AM

Default Get Mazda Protege ready for college use. What maint?

I'm quitting work and going back college full time this
fall.

I have a 2000 Mazda Protege with 92k miles on it. I
bought it brand new. Have done some maint to it.
Replace sway bar bushings, tune ups, oil changes, etc.

I want to get any major maint done to it NOW while I'm
still working and have an income this summer.

What "things" should I look into getting done at this
mileage?

I will look at owners manual but would like your advice
as well.

I want to get this car as "bullet proof" as possible so
I'm not stuck with any down time issues when I least
expect it this fall

Thanks in advance!
Old June 28th 05, 09:10 AM
Ted Mittelstaedt

> wrote in message
> I'm quitting work and going back college full time this
> fall.
>
> I have a 2000 Mazda Protege with 92k miles on it. I
> bought it brand new. Have done some maint to it.
> Replace sway bar bushings, tune ups, oil changes, etc.
>
> I want to get any major maint done to it NOW while I'm
> still working and have an income this summer.
>
> What "things" should I look into getting done at this
> mileage?
>
> I will look at owners manual but would like your advice
> as well.
>
> I want to get this car as "bullet proof" as possible so
> I'm not stuck with any down time issues when I least
> expect it this fall

Replace any/all belts. Change all the fluids - transmission,
coolant, brake. Replace the battery. Check and
possibly replace the tires. Check the brake pads and replace
if they are significantly worn. Make sure the A/C is
running at the proper temp. Replace the plug wires and
plugs if original. Replace all coolant hoses if they are original and
pressure test cooling system. Have the engine and compartment
and underside of car steam cleaned and inspected for rust. Then a few weeks
later check for oil leaks. Wash and wax, vacuum and shampoo
the carpet. Get it aligned. Replace fuel filter. Have a cylinder
leakdown test run if you are really into this.

Ted

Old June 28th 05, 03:29 PM

>Replace any/all belts. Change all the fluids - transmission,
>coolant, brake. Replace the battery. Check and
>possibly replace the tires. Check the brake pads and replace
>if they are significantly worn. Make sure the A/C is
>running at the proper temp. Replace the plug wires and
>plugs if original. Replace all coolant hoses if they are original and
>pressure test cooling system. Have the engine and compartment
>and underside of car steam cleaned and inspected for rust. Then a few weeks
>later check for oil leaks. Wash and wax, vacuum and shampoo
>the carpet. Get it aligned. Replace fuel filter. Have a cylinder
>leakdown test run if you are really into this.

Thanks Ted.... I will print this out and put it on the
fridge
Old June 30th 05, 11:29 AM
Ted Mittelstaedt

> wrote in message
> >Replace any/all belts. Change all the fluids - transmission,
> >coolant, brake. Replace the battery. Check and
> >possibly replace the tires. Check the brake pads and replace
> >if they are significantly worn. Make sure the A/C is
> >running at the proper temp. Replace the plug wires and
> >plugs if original. Replace all coolant hoses if they are original and
> >pressure test cooling system. Have the engine and compartment
> >and underside of car steam cleaned and inspected for rust. Then a few

weeks
> >later check for oil leaks. Wash and wax, vacuum and shampoo
> >the carpet. Get it aligned. Replace fuel filter. Have a cylinder
> >leakdown test run if you are really into this.

> Thanks Ted.... I will print this out and put it on the
> fridge

Your welcome, keep in mind that there is no particular order to these
although there should be (for example, steam cleaning ought to be
done first so that if they find something really bad, like the frame is
about ready to collapse due to rust, you don't sink money into a lost
cause), and your mechanic may have other additional suggestions.

Another place to get a list of Preventative Maintainence items is to
go to the dealership and ask for a copy of what they term a "pre-delivery
sequence guide" this is a list of every item that the dealership checks
when they receive a car from the factory, before they put it on
the lot. You can get some good ideas from there, too.

Also, one last thing I must say, having owned vehicles for over 2
decades, there is only one kind of vehicle that can truly be
considered an 'investment' and that is a vehicle that you buy
and park in your garage, and never drive. You could easily spend
a grand or two on preventative maintainence items and have the
car perfect, then 2 days later get into an accident, whereupon all
that maintainence money will be worth diddly squat to the insurance
company.

Sinking money into preventative maintainence is a gamble like
many things. The odds are in your favor, but there is definitely
no guarentee of anything.

Ted

Old June 30th 05, 02:43 PM

>Sinking money into preventative maintainence is a gamble like
>many things. The odds are in your favor, but there is definitely
>no guarentee of anything.

Thanks Ted!