Catalyic Converter

Old March 6th 06, 08:07 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

Default Catalyic Converter

My 99 Honda Civic Ex 2dr check engine light came on and the error code
message was for my Catalyic Converter which I was told I need to
replace. I was also told that I do not have to but I should replace my
O2 sensors also just to make sure all is well.
O2 sensors are expensive and if I do not have to replace it then I
would not. I was wondering if anyone can tell me whether or not it is
ok just to replace the Catalyic Converter without having to purchase
new O2 sensors, even though the Computer Diagonistic only indicated a
problem with my Catalyic Converter.
My next statement and question is I called and Independent Muffler shop
and basically asked how much it would cost to put on a new Converter,
the guy at the Muffler shop asked me if my car runs fine, I said yes.
He also asked if my sensor lights come on and off, I said no, I told
him that I had the code erased from my car after using a Converter
Cleaner to see it that would help but no sooner the check engine light
came back on.
He also told me that it is not really necessary to have my Converter
changed because more than likely the check engine light will end up
coming back on.
He said some of the Manufacurers like Ford are trying to work on there
error codes with regards to Converters because it comes on too much and
that they are espensive parts to replace.
If there is anyone that have any info with regards to this please let
me know
Thanks

Old March 6th 06, 10:00 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

" wrote:

> My 99 Honda Civic Ex 2dr check engine light came on and the error code
> message was for my Catalyic Converter which I was told I need to
> replace. I was also told that I do not have to but I should replace my
> O2 sensors also just to make sure all is well.
> O2 sensors are expensive and if I do not have to replace it then I
> would not. I was wondering if anyone can tell me whether or not it is
> ok just to replace the Catalyic Converter without having to purchase
> new O2 sensors, even though the Computer Diagonistic only indicated a
> problem with my Catalyic Converter.
> My next statement and question is I called and Independent Muffler shop
> and basically asked how much it would cost to put on a new Converter,
> the guy at the Muffler shop asked me if my car runs fine, I said yes.
> He also asked if my sensor lights come on and off, I said no, I told
> him that I had the code erased from my car after using a Converter
> Cleaner to see it that would help but no sooner the check engine light
> came back on.
> He also told me that it is not really necessary to have my Converter
> changed because more than likely the check engine light will end up
> coming back on.
> He said some of the Manufacurers like Ford are trying to work on there
> error codes with regards to Converters because it comes on too much and
> that they are espensive parts to replace.
> If there is anyone that have any info with regards to this please let
> me know
> Thanks

--------------------------------------

Tell us the actual OBD II codes off the work order, and the mileage. The
'interpretation' means little.
--
'Curly'
Old March 7th 06, 12:54 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

" > wrote in
oups.com:

> My 99 Honda Civic Ex 2dr check engine light came on and the error code
> message was for my Catalyic Converter which I was told I need to
> replace. I was also told that I do not have to but I should replace my
> O2 sensors also just to make sure all is well.

Mileage?

The exact error code? (It would be something like "P0420".)

--
TeGGeR®

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
www.tegger.com/hondafaq/
Old March 7th 06, 01:58 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

It is not necessary to replace the O2 sensor unless a code comes up. The
computer keeps close checks on them just as it does on the converter. The O2
sensors can also be checked on an OBDII tester with diagnostic ability, not
the basic code readers. Mileage makes a difference as the converter should
be covered for 80k miles. Check your warranty information. If over 100k then
the converter probably needs changed.

oups.com...

Old March 7th 06, 08:47 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

'Curly Q. Links' wrote:
> " wrote:
> >
> > My 99 Honda Civic Ex 2dr check engine light came on and the error code
> > message was for my Catalyic Converter which I was told I need to
> > replace. I was also told that I do not have to but I should replace my
> > O2 sensors also just to make sure all is well.
> > O2 sensors are expensive and if I do not have to replace it then I
> > would not. I was wondering if anyone can tell me whether or not it is
> > ok just to replace the Catalyic Converter without having to purchase
> > new O2 sensors, even though the Computer Diagonistic only indicated a
> > problem with my Catalyic Converter.
> > My next statement and question is I called and Independent Muffler shop
> > and basically asked how much it would cost to put on a new Converter,
> > the guy at the Muffler shop asked me if my car runs fine, I said yes.
> > He also asked if my sensor lights come on and off, I said no, I told
> > him that I had the code erased from my car after using a Converter
> > Cleaner to see it that would help but no sooner the check engine light
> > came back on.
> > He also told me that it is not really necessary to have my Converter
> > changed because more than likely the check engine light will end up
> > coming back on.
> > He said some of the Manufacurers like Ford are trying to work on there
> > error codes with regards to Converters because it comes on too much and
> > that they are espensive parts to replace.
> > If there is anyone that have any info with regards to this please let
> > me know
> > Thanks

> --------------------------------------
>
> Tell us the actual OBD II codes off the work order, and the mileage. The
> 'interpretation' means little.
> --
> 'Curly'

Curly the error code is P0420

Old March 7th 06, 08:49 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

Yes my error code message read P0420
Thanks

Old March 8th 06, 02:15 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

"baboo67" > wrote in
oups.com:

> Yes my error code message read P0420
> Thanks

Did you see Busiu's post? That's the first mention I've heard of a cracked
manifold causing this error. If it's common, there ought to be a TSB sooner
or later outlining this.

My experience with the P0420 error is that it's mostly city-driven cars
that experience it, so it appears to be related to a cat that's
contaminated from lots of low-speed driving. Based on that observation, I
wrote this:
http://www.tegger.com/hondafaq/p0420.html

By the way, if you're in the US, there is an eight-year Federal emissions
warranty covering the cat. If you're in the US, a new OEM cat will come to
you at no charge. You may want to explore that first with your dealer.

I'm going to add Busiu's experience to the FAQ. If Busiu has any other info
to report, such as a TSB, I'd love to hear from him.

Old March 8th 06, 04:03 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

TeGGeR® wrote:

> I'm going to add Busiu's experience to the FAQ. If Busiu has any other info
> to report, such as a TSB, I'd love to hear from him.

I'm unaware if an official TSB exists but my Honda mechanic tells me he
sees this problem all the time. It's also the primary reason why you
can't find an Exhaust Manifold for this generation of Civic at your
local wreckers. The good ones have been pillaged and the remainder are
cracked.