catalytic converter

Old June 26th 07, 01:19 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
newman

Default catalytic converter

What is the life expectancy of a catalytic converter?

My 99 Accord has 110K and check engine has code P0420 indicating converter
failure-at least that's what Honda dealer said.

99 accord 4 cyl
110000 miles

Old June 26th 07, 03:06 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Woody[_1_]

"newman" > wrote in message
> What is the life expectancy of a catalytic converter?
>
> My 99 Accord has 110K and check engine has code P0420 indicating converter
> failure-at least that's what Honda dealer said.
>
> 99 accord 4 cyl
> 110000 miles

Before having the converter changed you should read this article
http://www.troublecodes.net/articles/catfailure/
Also you should look at the EGR. Find a good local mechanic and have him
check it out. Dealers will just throw a $1000 converter in without checking
to make sure it is the converter. Also if you have been running with a
problem causing a rich mixture it will destroy the converter over time so
everything needs checked out or you could destroy the new converter.

Old June 26th 07, 07:38 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
z[_1_]

On Jun 25, 10:06 pm, "Woody" > wrote:
> "newman" > wrote in message

> > What is the life expectancy of a catalytic converter?

> > My 99 Accord has 110K and check engine has code P0420 indicating converter
> > failure-at least that's what Honda dealer said.

> > 99 accord 4 cyl
> > 110000 miles

> Before having the converter changed you should read this articlehttp://www.troublecodes.net/articles/catfailure/
> Also you should look at the EGR. Find a good local mechanic and have him
> check it out. Dealers will just throw a $1000 converter in without checking
> to make sure it is the converter. Also if you have been running with a
> problem causing a rich mixture it will destroy the converter over time so
> everything needs checked out or you could destroy the new converter.

Happened to me. Failed emissions. Reasonably competent mechanic
assured me it was the converter, no doubt. Told me afterwards the old
one was totally shot. Got the exact same failing score on emissions.
But the $$$ for replacing it got me an emissions waiver.

Old June 26th 07, 08:55 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
newman

I should mention that Honda dealer replaced timing belt (& water pump,
seals,etc.) recently.

Could the timing belt replacement have anything to do with check engine
light with code P0420? The light came on about 1 week after timing belt
replacement.

I checked for loose vacuum hoses, but didn't see anything.
"z" > wrote in message
ups.com...

Old June 27th 07, 12:28 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
motsco_[_1_]

newman wrote:
> I should mention that Honda dealer replaced timing belt (& water pump,
> seals,etc.) recently.
>
> Could the timing belt replacement have anything to do with check engine
> light with code P0420? The light came on about 1 week after timing belt
> replacement.
>
> I checked for loose vacuum hoses, but didn't see anything.

----------------------------------

If the car is acting a bit gutless until it warms up, or hesitates when
it never used to, the answer could be YES. Did they leave your rad full,
and the coolant reservoir filled to the =MAX= mark, like it says in the
(owner's) manual, or is there just a few drops in the bottom ?

'Curly'

catalytic converter loub Honda 3 September 6th 06 01:22 AM
Catalytic Converter Gary[_3_] Mazda 4 August 31st 06 06:32 AM
BMW Z3 1.9 Catalytic Converter [email protected] BMW 3 May 31st 06 11:35 AM
catalytic converter [email protected] Saturn 11 May 21st 06 08:21 PM
Is it for sure the Catalytic Converter? G-Ram VW water cooled 26 July 16th 05 06:18 AM