catalytic converter 97 Civic LX

Old January 16th 06, 03:32 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

Default catalytic converter 97 Civic LX

Does anyone know if the extended emissions warranty on 97 Civics covers
catalytic converter replacement?

Old January 17th 06, 08:23 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

wrote:
> Does anyone know if the extended emissions warranty on 97 Civics covers
> catalytic converter replacement?

Are you sure you need a new catalytic converter??????? I just went
through this mess 2 weeks ago. I paid $100 to find out I needed a new
catalytic converter on my 97 Accord. They could not get the parts the
next day so I decided to put it off for awhile since it was to cost
just under $1000 to get it fixed. Then I went and shopped for a better
price. Some mechanics were willing to share. One that seemed to know
a lot on the subject said that it is usually the O2 Sensors. He was
even willing to show where they are and that it was something that I
could change myself. He said very few catalytic converters go bad. He
also mentioned that disconnecting the battery from the car for an hour
will kill the computer memory on the car. (I found that only a few
minutes did the job.) This was the cheapest solution. When I
reconnected the battery the engine light went off and I've gone 500
miles with no problems and no lights. That seemed to solve the
problem. I didn't have to change the O2 sensors or catalytic. He did
say that it would be best to change the 02 sensors first as they are
more often the problem.) Try the battery disconnect first to see if
it solves the problems. Hope it saves you a thousand.

Old January 18th 06, 02:22 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

I'm going through the same scenario with my 99 civic LX. I've replaced
the Catalytic converter with a spare one that my friend had. There was
no change. The Check Engine light is still on with the same P0420 code.

I'm going to replace the O2 sensors shortly as one of them is likely
the culprit.

Old January 18th 06, 05:08 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

JustLearning wrote:
> more often the problem.) Try the battery disconnect first to see if
> it solves the problems. Hope it saves you a thousand.

i did that a couple times when my MIL light came on. then i got a
scanner and reset it the right way

eventually, it DID need an O2 sensor. went from every week the light
would go on, to every few days, to every day, to all the time.

if you plan on driving cars made since 1996, get the scanner. mine paid
itself off ($99) with its first diagnosis.
Old January 18th 06, 03:20 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

Where did you purchase the scanner???????????? What type and model did
you buy.
I'd like to get one.

Thanks!

Old January 19th 06, 01:28 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

JustLearning wrote:
> Where did you purchase the scanner???????????? What type and model did
> you buy.
> I'd like to get one.

actron, at pep boys for about $99. same one was selling at autozone for
$150. yellow, hand held, looks like this.

http://www.everyfreegift.com/img/pro...1.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

no batteries, runs off the engine computers power. fun lil toy!
Old January 19th 06, 04:26 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

SoCalMike > wrote in
:

> JustLearning wrote:
>> Where did you purchase the scanner???????????? What type and model did
>> you buy.
>> I'd like to get one.

> actron, at pep boys for about $99. same one was selling at autozone for
> $150. yellow, hand held, looks like this.
>
> http://www.everyfreegift.com/img/pro...1.LZZZZZZZ.jpg
>
> no batteries, runs off the engine computers power. fun lil toy!

More info he
http://www.tegger.com/hondafaq/obdii.html

--
TeGGeR®