Oil-filter removal (2004 Jeep Liberty)

Old August 28th 06, 08:00 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Earle Horton[_1_]

Default Oil-filter removal (2004 Jeep Liberty)

> wrote in message
oups.com...
> I had to use the "removal" tool to install the oil filter because
> it's hard to squeeze one's arm between the fan-shroud and
> the tie-rod, reach the oil filter and screw it on -- there's just
> not enough room to work in. Anyway, I turned the "removal"
> tool just enough to result in an "hand-tight" fit.

They all say that. ;^)

Cheers.

Earle

Old August 28th 06, 10:37 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Mike Romain

Earle Horton wrote:

> > wrote in message
> oups.com...
> > I had to use the "removal" tool to install the oil filter because
> > it's hard to squeeze one's arm between the fan-shroud and
> > the tie-rod, reach the oil filter and screw it on -- there's just
> > not enough room to work in. Anyway, I turned the "removal"
> > tool just enough to result in an "hand-tight" fit.
> >

> They all say that. ;^)
>
> Cheers.
>
> Earle

LOL! And it isn't like we haven't done it once too, eh? When they say
hand tight, they really mean it.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's
Old August 29th 06, 01:55 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Carl[_3_]

No matter how tight that filter is, these babies will jerk that sucker right
off.

http://www.sjdiscounttools.com/kdt3368.html

I had a set and LOVED it.

HTH

Carl

Old August 29th 06, 03:19 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III[_1_]

This is the type I use:
http://all-tool.com/BY_MASTER_CATAGO...wrenches_2.htm
Slide it up as near the threaded end as possible to avoid crushing the
can.
God Bless America, Bill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Old August 29th 06, 03:27 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
billy ray

Maybe we need to get Kate involved in this discussion. She used to have a
Libby....

Is this what your engine looks like?

http://www.wkjeeps.com/photos/wk_3_7_engine.jpg

. ..

Old August 29th 06, 04:15 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III[_1_]

Emphasis on "used to" <ROTFLMAO>
God Bless America, Bill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Old August 29th 06, 04:21 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Eric[_2_]

Yup, that's what I use. Have two sizes for the two sizes of filters my
vehicles use.

Eric

Old August 29th 06, 12:55 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Kate[_3_]

Whan my daughter worked (very briefly) at the service center of the Jeep
dealership, she came home one day telling me
"Mom, Liberty's SUCK!! If you ever need the oil changed on yours, don't
bring it to me"

Evidently they are VERY hard to get to, even for her scrawny little arms.

I'm sure glad she gave up being a lube jockey...

Kate

Old August 29th 06, 01:10 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Kate[_3_]

All I know is what Kristen told me.
She says getting ttie filters off of the Liberty is an absolute screaming
mother****er...
She was scraped and bruised and quite ill tempered after doing a couple of
them that day.

Poor thing, I actually felt bad for her. She had at her disposal, big
screwdrivers, several quality band wrenches and a pair of oil filter pliers
and still ahd to wrestel in there with her little bare arm. She said it took
her something like an hour to get inbetween the places where she needed to
get to finally get it loose.

Now, Kristen is a girly girl most of the time, but she has done her share of
working on cars and she is a determined little thing. I say if the OP is
having trouble, then chances are he has tried almost everythig and it is
probable that some of these big tools that are being recommended will simply
not go into the space.

The filter, as I recall, is wedged into a really tight spot, with very
limited access. I remember thinking that she was being a whinetit and went
out to look at it for myself and having a bit more respect for her after I
saw what she was up against.

Kate
06 - uhh... what's that little white thing called again?
oh yea RUBICON!
Oh yea, you can reach the filter on this one just fine ¦¬D

"billy ray" > wrote in message
> Maybe we need to get Kate involved in this discussion. She used to have a
> Libby....
>

> Is this what your engine looks like?
>
> http://www.wkjeeps.com/photos/wk_3_7_engine.jpg
>

> "Lon" > wrote in message
> . ..
>> proclaimed:
>>
>>> The removal tool did NOT destroy the oil filter; it just rounded-off
>>> the flutes on the filter.
>>>
>>> Now, I need to find something that will grab onto the filter so it can
>>> be unscrewed.
>>>

>> Well, you've exhausted or ignored all of the common sense suggestions, so
>> perhaps you might consider seeing if a local zoo has a spare gorilla?

Jeep Liberty Renegade Feedback Needed. Loner Jeep 3 August 4th 06 05:25 PM
Jeep news from Chrysler Scott in Baltimore Jeep 20 June 28th 06 01:15 AM
New 2004 Jeep Liberty Sport Florence Oregon $21,995 [email protected] Chrysler 0 April 15th 05 01:33 AM
bestop Jeep give away 2004 Rusted Jeep 1 March 9th 05 07:41 AM
REAL air filter testing. More proof that K&N is junk. Steve W. 4x4 25 January 12th 05 01:22 PM