Castle nut stuck

Old November 29th 06, 04:42 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Cole

Default Castle nut stuck

1990 Honda Civic EX

---

The castle nut on my lower ball joint won't move. The pin is removed
and it just won't spin. I'm at the point of almost completely
stripping the nut. Does anyone have a suggestion short of cutting it
off?

Thanks for your help.

Old November 29th 06, 04:58 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
jim beam

Cole wrote:
> 1990 Honda Civic EX
>
> ---
>
> The castle nut on my lower ball joint won't move. The pin is removed
> and it just won't spin.

it won't spin relative to the tread or won't spin at all? if the
former, compress the ball joint so the taper holds - then the nut will
come off just fine.

> I'm at the point of almost completely
> stripping the nut. Does anyone have a suggestion short of cutting it
> off?

if it won't come off, you'll have to cut it anyway and replace. use
more force to make sure. maybe a little heat first. make sure you're
using a good quality 6-sided flank-drive 1/2" socket - cheap tools can
break and give you dental problems [as i found from experience].

Old November 29th 06, 08:03 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Joe LaVigne

On Tue, 28 Nov 2006 20:58:56 -0800, jim beam wrote:

> if it won't come off, you'll have to cut it anyway and replace. use
> more force to make sure. maybe a little heat first. make sure you're
> using a good quality 6-sided flank-drive 1/2" socket - cheap tools can
> break and give you dental problems [as i found from experience].

You're not supposed to put pressure on the wrench with your teeth...

;-)
Old November 29th 06, 01:11 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Tegger

"Cole" > wrote in news:1164775338.622550.177010@
16g2000cwy.googlegroups.com:

> 1990 Honda Civic EX
>
> ---
>
> The castle nut on my lower ball joint won't move. The pin is removed
> and it just won't spin. I'm at the point of almost completely
> stripping the nut. Does anyone have a suggestion short of cutting it
> off?
>
> Thanks for your help.

Go to an industrial supply house and rent an electric impact gun
(~$30/day). It will come right off.

--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
www.tegger.com/hondafaq/
Old November 29th 06, 01:22 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Tegger

Tegger > wrote in news:Xns988A531E96052tegger@
207.14.116.130:

> "Cole" > wrote in news:1164775338.622550.177010@
> 16g2000cwy.googlegroups.com:
>
>> 1990 Honda Civic EX
>>
>> ---
>>
>> The castle nut on my lower ball joint won't move. The pin is removed
>> and it just won't spin. I'm at the point of almost completely
>> stripping the nut. Does anyone have a suggestion short of cutting it
>> off?
>>
>> Thanks for your help.
>>

> Go to an industrial supply house and rent an electric impact gun
> (~$30/day). It will come right off.

And if you're not using a six-point (hex) flank-drive socket, use that as
well. It will help prevent rounding the nut off.

Old November 29th 06, 01:52 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
jim beam

Joe LaVigne wrote:
> On Tue, 28 Nov 2006 20:58:56 -0800, jim beam wrote:
>
>> if it won't come off, you'll have to cut it anyway and replace. use
>> more force to make sure. maybe a little heat first. make sure you're
>> using a good quality 6-sided flank-drive 1/2" socket - cheap tools can
>> break and give you dental problems [as i found from experience].

> You're not supposed to put pressure on the wrench with your teeth...
>
> ;-)

sometimes you get frustrated...
Old November 29th 06, 02:07 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Netsock[_1_]

On 28 Nov 2006 20:42:18 -0800, "Cole" > wrote:

>1990 Honda Civic EX
>
>---
>
>The castle nut on my lower ball joint won't move. The pin is removed
>and it just won't spin. I'm at the point of almost completely
>stripping the nut. Does anyone have a suggestion short of cutting it
>off?
>
>Thanks for your help.

Assuming you have the correct socket and large (breaker bar) lever,
soak it in penetrating oil for a long time, then apply heat via a
torch, or even one of those little handheld gas units, and it should
come off.

And of course, an impact gun would be best as well.

Good luck.
Old November 29th 06, 02:43 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Elle

One of the castle nuts just turned with the ball joint stud
this past summer when I was doing some suspension work. It
is possible all you will need to do is put a jack under the
control arm and lift a bit. This will put the weight of the
car back on the ball joint and join it again, holding the
stud securely enough to free the nut.

The cut-off route: You can use a die grinder, grinding one
side of the nut until little is left, and being careful not
to hit the stud threads. A new or recently sharpened chisel,
applied of course in a direction that tends to loosen the
nut, should come in handy, too. I chipped and ground away at
the nut, and even drove a bit on it (though don't be driving
out of the neighborhood), and it ultimately freed.

Old November 29th 06, 04:35 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Speedy Pete

Make sure you have a SIX sided socket and a breaker bar. If you really
think it might strip or break, warm it up with an acetylene torch.
Propane isnt hot enough.

-Speedy

Old November 29th 06, 07:38 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Cole

jim beam wrote:
> Cole wrote:
> > 1990 Honda Civic EX
> >
> > ---
> >
> > The castle nut on my lower ball joint won't move. The pin is removed
> > and it just won't spin.

> it won't spin relative to the tread or won't spin at all? if the
> former, compress the ball joint so the taper holds - then the nut will
> come off just fine.

It won't come loose at all.

Is there a way to replace the ball joint on my series civic without
removing the drive shaft from the wheel assembly or will that be a
requirement? It looks to me as though it may very well be absolutely
necessary in order to be able to press the ball joint out and more
definitely back in.

If I do have to remove it: should I remove it before I continue work
on the ball joint? Does the cars weight need to be on the shaft with
the tire on before I can remove it?

Thank you all for your help. I've not done much suspension work,
especially on a Honda so I appreciate all the help I can get. I want
to get these replaced or end up like TEGGER(sp?)'s Prelude

-

Cole

90 XJ auto tranny stuck Troy Jeep 8 October 12th 06 12:34 AM
blinker stuck on- update- 99 jeep cherokee classic jczap Chrysler 2 September 8th 06 12:57 AM
blinker stuck on- update- 99 jeep cherokee classic jczap Chrysler 0 September 7th 06 06:59 PM
Gas pedal stuck doing 130mph for 60 miles mistral BMW 26 March 16th 06 03:46 PM
Lug nut stuck on lug - I'm up the creek. Carolina Watercraft Works Dodge 0 December 11th 05 07:51 PM