Replacing struts on 2001 Accord LX V-6

Old October 25th 04, 11:10 PM
George Earl

Default Replacing struts on 2001 Accord LX V-6

Wow. I just priced replacing struts on my 2001 Accord LX V-6.

The local Honda dealer wants $122 each for oem replacement struts -
which just happens to be the same price as replacement Bilsteins off
the web . . . :-) . . . and the service person estimated 4 hours
of labor at $78/hour for installation - that's $320 for installation!

An independent garage where I have had other work done before quoted
me $520 just for labor to replace the struts!

I'm wondering why there is a $200 difference in the cost of labor and
if maybe the dealer is low balling the labor to get me in there so
they can make up the difference with the cost of the struts . . .

Thoughts?

George

Old October 26th 04, 07:18 PM
Skipnkuf

George Earl > wrote in message >. ..
> Wow. I just priced replacing struts on my 2001 Accord LX V-6.
>
> The local Honda dealer wants $122 each for oem replacement struts -
> which just happens to be the same price as replacement Bilsteins off
> the web . . . :-) . . . and the service person estimated 4 hours
> of labor at $78/hour for installation - that's $320 for installation!
>
> An independent garage where I have had other work done before quoted
> me $520 just for labor to replace the struts!
>
> I'm wondering why there is a $200 difference in the cost of labor and
> if maybe the dealer is low balling the labor to get me in there so
> they can make up the difference with the cost of the struts . . .
>
> Thoughts?
>

> George

wow thats alot for labor....

I had my GFs 99 Accord LX/Sedan struts replaced @ a local honda shop
for 150.00 total for all 4!!

I get all my parts from
http://www.alloembmwparts.com/ since they
always offer free shipping and have tons of OEM parts for all makes, i
think KYB GR-2s is what comes on honda and thats what I got from these
guys @ a really good price + free shipping (these are heavy)

not sure about the Bilsteins shocks, since they are HD shocks I would
think they would offer a rougher ride, something I don't think i would
like on my 2001 Accord V6/EX Sedan

good luck

skip
Old October 26th 04, 10:32 PM
Milleron

On Mon, 25 Oct 2004 18:10:54 -0400, George Earl >
wrote:

>Wow. I just priced replacing struts on my 2001 Accord LX V-6.
>
>The local Honda dealer wants $122 each for oem replacement struts -
>which just happens to be the same price as replacement Bilsteins off
>the web . . . :-) . . . and the service person estimated 4 hours
>of labor at $78/hour for installation - that's $320 for installation!
>
>An independent garage where I have had other work done before quoted
>me $520 just for labor to replace the struts!
>
>I'm wondering why there is a $200 difference in the cost of labor and
>if maybe the dealer is low balling the labor to get me in there so
>they can make up the difference with the cost of the struts . . .
>
>Thoughts?
>

>George

It's an awful lot more than I paid the last time, but I didn't specify
OEM struts.

But why are you needing to replace all four struts on a 2001? How
many miles or km are on it? Are you certain they're bad?
Ron
Old October 27th 04, 02:59 AM
George Earl

On Tue, 26 Oct 2004 21:32:02 GMT, Milleron
> wrote:

>It's an awful lot more than I paid the last time, but I didn't specify
>OEM struts.
>
>But why are you needing to replace all four struts on a 2001? How
>many miles or km are on it? Are you certain they're bad?
>Ron

The struts aren't 'bad', although I can feel that they have softened
up after 60k miles. I've just never liked the way they work. The
Accord was a compromise car and I've always wished it handled better
(I know, wrong car for handling). On my last car I waited till around
90k miles to replace the struts with some good aftermarket ones and
they were so much better that I wished I had changed them earlier . .
..

George