Idiotic "mechanics"

Old May 17th 05, 02:25 AM

Default Idiotic "mechanics"

I know enough to avoid Jiffy-Lube and such. Found a clean and somewhat
upscale garage a few years back and have been taking in my GT every 3K
miles or so.
For some reason, their computer does not show correct capacity and they
often put in too much oil. I've been double checking myself after
changes and ask them to drain the excess.
Last week, one of the mechanics went off on me saying "Why do you
always come back with problems!!???". I told him to chill and not to
blame me for their mistakes.
I also advised that they simply check the level before giving me the
car back. He started to tell me that they put in a little more oil
since the filter absorbs some. When I told him that most techs I know
fill the new filter with oil prior to install, he totally flipped and
started yelling at me again ... :"We do hundreds of changes a week
....and you are telling ME how to CHANGE OIL!!".

Am I crazy? Ever since my HS auto shop class (30 years ago) I was told
that it's a good idea to fill new filters with oil.
In any case, I'm just so frustrated that since I no longer have time or
space to change my own oil, even paying someone else to do it becomes a
f----ing production!

Ron W.

2000 GT 'vert black

Old May 17th 05, 03:40 AM
  whose ya daddy 96@ yahoo.com

On 16 May 2005 18:25:26 -0700, wrote:

>I know enough to avoid Jiffy-Lube and such. Found a clean and somewhat
>upscale garage a few years back and have been taking in my GT every 3K
>miles or so.
>For some reason, their computer does not show correct capacity and they
>often put in too much oil. I've been double checking myself after
>changes and ask them to drain the excess.
>Last week, one of the mechanics went off on me saying "Why do you
>always come back with problems!!???". I told him to chill and not to
>blame me for their mistakes.
>I also advised that they simply check the level before giving me the
>car back. He started to tell me that they put in a little more oil
>since the filter absorbs some. When I told him that most techs I know
>fill the new filter with oil prior to install, he totally flipped and
>started yelling at me again ... :"We do hundreds of changes a week
>...and you are telling ME how to CHANGE OIL!!".
>
>Am I crazy? Ever since my HS auto shop class (30 years ago) I was told
>that it's a good idea to fill new filters with oil.
>In any case, I'm just so frustrated that since I no longer have time or
>space to change my own oil, even paying someone else to do it becomes a
>f----ing production!
>
>Ron W.
>
>2000 GT 'vert black

you better check the shop manual
LMFAO
it CLEARLY states oil above the fill line on dipstick is acceptable

and no u dont fill filters ( gas engines)
what happens when the filter is perpindicular to the block
YA FOCTARD
GET SOME CERTIFICATION OR FOCK OFF

hurc ast
Old May 17th 05, 05:34 AM
.boB

> I know enough to avoid Jiffy-Lube and such. Found a clean and somewhat
> upscale garage a few years back and have been taking in my GT every 3K
> miles or so.
> For some reason, their computer does not show correct capacity and they
> often put in too much oil. I've been double checking myself after
> changes and ask them to drain the excess.
> Last week, one of the mechanics went off on me saying "Why do you
> always come back with problems!!???". I told him to chill and not to
> blame me for their mistakes.
> I also advised that they simply check the level before giving me the
> car back. He started to tell me that they put in a little more oil
> since the filter absorbs some. When I told him that most techs I know
> fill the new filter with oil prior to install, he totally flipped and
> started yelling at me again ... :"We do hundreds of changes a week
> ...and you are telling ME how to CHANGE OIL!!".
>
> Am I crazy? Ever since my HS auto shop class (30 years ago) I was told
> that it's a good idea to fill new filters with oil.
> In any case, I'm just so frustrated that since I no longer have time or
> space to change my own oil, even paying someone else to do it becomes a
> f----ing production!
>
> Ron W.
>
> 2000 GT 'vert black

You should fill the filter 1/2 way with oil.
Since it isn't straight up, you can't fill it all the
way. Run the engine for a few minutes. Shut it off
and check for leaks. Wait a little while, and check
the level. Been doing it that way for decades, with
dozens of vehicles.
On a side note, it doesn't sound like that mechanic
wants your business any longer. If somebody I was
paying to do work for me actually yelled at me, they
would see my back one last time.

--
..boB
1997 HD FXDWG - Turbocharged!

Old May 17th 05, 05:35 AM
Kidd Andersson

> I know enough to avoid Jiffy-Lube and such. Found a clean and somewhat
> upscale garage a few years back and have been taking in my GT every 3K
> miles or so.
> For some reason, their computer does not show correct capacity and they
> often put in too much oil. I've been double checking myself after
> changes and ask them to drain the excess.
> Last week, one of the mechanics went off on me saying "Why do you
> always come back with problems!!???". I told him to chill and not to
> blame me for their mistakes.
> I also advised that they simply check the level before giving me the
> car back. He started to tell me that they put in a little more oil
> since the filter absorbs some. When I told him that most techs I know
> fill the new filter with oil prior to install, he totally flipped and
> started yelling at me again ... :"We do hundreds of changes a week
> ...and you are telling ME how to CHANGE OIL!!".
>
> Am I crazy? Ever since my HS auto shop class (30 years ago) I was told
> that it's a good idea to fill new filters with oil.
> In any case, I'm just so frustrated that since I no longer have time or
> space to change my own oil, even paying someone else to do it becomes a
> f----ing production!
>
> Ron W.
>
> 2000 GT 'vert black

Guy sounds like a real prick. My suggestion is find a different shop. I
mean, if you've continuously had to take it back and have them drain the
excess, then they bitch you out because they can't do something as
simple as oil changes right, screw em. They obviously don't need your
money. Take it to someone who does.

K.
Old May 17th 05, 05:55 AM
Spike

Seems strange that they remembers a single car out of the "hundreds"
of oil changes they do. And this is the only time they have gotten
upset with you? While I might suggest changing shops, if you have been
continuously going back to a shop where you have to get them to
correct their work, I'd say that part is on you. You know... the thing
about burn me once shame on you, burn me twice shame on me.....
While it is totally wrong to go off on a customer... even when they
are in the wrong (because they spread the word that people should not
do business with you and that hurts) it may be the guy just had a bad
day. Maybe his wife just had him served for divorce, or his business
is going under.... whatever... Just find someplace else. I check with
various people I know about the best places to go are. Of course, I
change my own oil.

On 16 May 2005 18:25:26 -0700, wrote:

>I know enough to avoid Jiffy-Lube and such. Found a clean and somewhat
>upscale garage a few years back and have been taking in my GT every 3K
>miles or so.
>For some reason, their computer does not show correct capacity and they
>often put in too much oil. I've been double checking myself after
>changes and ask them to drain the excess.
>Last week, one of the mechanics went off on me saying "Why do you
>always come back with problems!!???". I told him to chill and not to
>blame me for their mistakes.
>I also advised that they simply check the level before giving me the
>car back. He started to tell me that they put in a little more oil
>since the filter absorbs some. When I told him that most techs I know
>fill the new filter with oil prior to install, he totally flipped and
>started yelling at me again ... :"We do hundreds of changes a week
>...and you are telling ME how to CHANGE OIL!!".
>
>Am I crazy? Ever since my HS auto shop class (30 years ago) I was told
>that it's a good idea to fill new filters with oil.
>In any case, I'm just so frustrated that since I no longer have time or
>space to change my own oil, even paying someone else to do it becomes a
>f----ing production!
>
>Ron W.
>
>2000 GT 'vert black

Hey! Spikey Likes IT!
Vintage Burgundy w/Black Standard Interior
Vintage 40 Wheels 16X8"
w/BF Goodrich Comp T/A Radial 225/50ZR16
Old May 17th 05, 08:32 AM
Photobossman

I don't see why you cannot change your oil. I have for years even when I
lived in an apartment with no assigned parking. I just got all my supplies
before hand and changed it in the parking lot.I did make sure that I always
left the area clean if I spilled any oil I made sure to clean it up.

I have seen others actually do it in the parking lot of the auto parts
store and return the oil for recycling.

I have never pre-filled a filter only wiped the rubber seal with the old oil
so that it would seal better.

All of my vehicles went well over 150,000+ miles my Ford Taurus was still
running strong at 250,000+ when I sold it.

Gary

Old May 17th 05, 11:13 AM
SVTKate

> wrote in message
*snipped*

| Last week, one of the mechanics went off on me saying "Why do you
| always come back with problems!!???".

You let him get away with this?

.. When I told him that most techs I know
| fill the new filter with oil prior to install, he totally flipped and
| started yelling at me again ... :"We do hundreds of changes a week
| ...and you are telling ME how to CHANGE OIL!!".

The guy still doesn't have a fat lip, and you still have not called their
corporate HQ...???!!

| Am I crazy?

No Ron, you are acting more like a doormat.
Find a different place to take your car. There must be another lube shop
around.

Kate

Old May 17th 05, 11:19 AM
SVTKate

"Photobossman" > wrote in message
|I don't see why you cannot change your oil.

*snip*

Some of us don't WANT to DIY... how's that?
Personally, I don't like to have to store and then haul the used oil to the
recycling place. I like that they lube everything,, vacuum the mats and wash
the windshield check all the other levels, fill the fluids and so on..

Kate

Old May 17th 05, 11:53 AM
John

> wrote in message
oups.com...
>I know enough to avoid Jiffy-Lube and such. Found a clean and somewhat
> upscale garage a few years back and have been taking in my GT every 3K
> miles or so.
> For some reason, their computer does not show correct capacity and they
> often put in too much oil. I've been double checking myself after
> changes and ask them to drain the excess.

Judging by the distance between the Add and Full marks/lines being a quart,
how much was it overfilled?

--
John
ThunderSnake #59

Old May 17th 05, 02:52 PM
Jim Warman

Just to add some perspective..... spend some time on the opposite side of
the counter for a while. Most techs that I know do their absolute best to
perform top notch work... in spite of constant demands regarding time spent,
service performed, payment received and a host of other things "civilians"
just don't comprehend. Add the constant bad rap from an unknowing public and
the occasional entrapment blitz by some of the media....

I wasn't there so I don't know if "one of the mechanics went off on me
saying "Why do you| always come back with problems!!???" or if it was a
simple question.

Just yesterday, one of our apprentices us changing oil on a Honda and
noticed a bad front wheel bearing.... customer dumps on the spprentice. A
couple of weeks ago, customer installs a 60 amp MAX where a 20 amp use to
live...... The wiring harness is about $800CA and nearly 12 hours to
install....... Customer dumps on the SA. There are two sides to every
story.....

There is a growing trend for the good shops to "fire" customers before an
unpleasant scene develops. It's something I've done in the past and I will
continue it in the future.

Is there anyone here that can make it through a day without a mistake or
four left in their wake? Get a good enough microscope and you can find
problems with any task a human has performed.

ink.net...