obd reader

Old August 1st 11, 11:03 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
gregz

Default obd reader

I can't seem to locate any obd I reader. I have a obd II connector, called
the obd 1.5 , I can locate a scanner for hundreds of dollars but I don't
think the car is worth that. Anybody got an old reader to part?

Greg
Old August 2nd 11, 04:09 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
SRN

"gregz" > wrote in message
>I can't seem to locate any obd I reader. I have a obd II connector, called
> the obd 1.5 , I can locate a scanner for hundreds of dollars but I don't
> think the car is worth that. Anybody got an old reader to part?

You'd have to be more specific with year, make & model of vehicle. You could
certainly find a used one on eBay for not a lot of money.

Old August 3rd 11, 01:21 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
gregz

"SRN" > wrote:
> "gregz" > wrote in message
>> I can't seem to locate any obd I reader. I have a obd II connector, called
>> the obd 1.5 , I can locate a scanner for hundreds of dollars but I don't
>> think the car is worth that. Anybody got an old reader to part?

> You'd have to be more specific with year, make & model of vehicle. You could
> certainly find a used one on eBay for not a lot of money.

I looked on eBay. There is one at advance, but not entirely certain if it
will work. To try I would take two wires between active pins for the plug
difference. I spent a half day researching and not finished. I understand
gm ran out of connectors so they used a 16 pin. There is also another
version that you can still short two pins and read ses, but I already tried
that. On mine two pins are ground and signal ground.

Greg
Old August 3rd 11, 02:13 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
SRN

"gregz" > wrote in message
> "SRN" > wrote:
>> "gregz" > wrote in message
>>> I can't seem to locate any obd I reader. I have a obd II connector,
>>> called
>>> the obd 1.5 , I can locate a scanner for hundreds of dollars but I don't
>>> think the car is worth that. Anybody got an old reader to part?

>> You'd have to be more specific with year, make & model of vehicle. You
>> could
>> certainly find a used one on eBay for not a lot of money.

> I looked on eBay. There is one at advance, but not entirely certain if it
> will work. To try I would take two wires between active pins for the plug
> difference. I spent a half day researching and not finished. I understand
> gm ran out of connectors so they used a 16 pin. There is also another
> version that you can still short two pins and read ses, but I already
> tried
> that. On mine two pins are ground and signal ground.
>
> Greg

It would really, really help if you would give the year , make & model of
your GM vehicle. So you have an OBD II connector under the dash? Are you
just trying to read the old two digit codes, or do you want to buy an old
scanner
that does much more?

Old August 3rd 11, 03:41 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Steve W.[_4_]

gregz wrote:
> "SRN" > wrote:
>> "gregz" > wrote in message
>>> I can't seem to locate any obd I reader. I have a obd II connector, called
>>> the obd 1.5 , I can locate a scanner for hundreds of dollars but I don't
>>> think the car is worth that. Anybody got an old reader to part?

>> You'd have to be more specific with year, make & model of vehicle. You could
>> certainly find a used one on eBay for not a lot of money.

> I looked on eBay. There is one at advance, but not entirely certain if it
> will work. To try I would take two wires between active pins for the plug
> difference. I spent a half day researching and not finished. I understand
> gm ran out of connectors so they used a 16 pin. There is also another
> version that you can still short two pins and read ses, but I already tried
> that. On mine two pins are ground and signal ground.
>
> Greg

What is the year/make/model/engine and trans of the vehicle in question?

If you do have the OBDI with OBD II subset you need a good scan tool
with the correct adapter. Most of the ones that are "loaners" or at
AutoZone/Advance/Kragen places WILL NOT read the codes. They can do OBD II

Most of the better pro class units can handle it though. Those just need
the correct cables.

--
Steve W.
Old August 3rd 11, 12:21 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Tegger[_3_]

gregz > wrote in

rg:

> I can't seem to locate any obd I reader. I have a obd II connector,
> called the obd 1.5 , I can locate a scanner for hundreds of dollars
> but I don't think the car is worth that. Anybody got an old reader to
> part?
>
> Greg

Year?
Make?
Model?
Engine?
California car?

--
Tegger
Old August 3rd 11, 06:09 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
gregz

gregz > wrote:
> I can't seem to locate any obd I reader. I have a obd II connector, called
> the obd 1.5 , I can locate a scanner for hundreds of dollars but I don't
> think the car is worth that. Anybody got an old reader to part?
>
> Greg

I ordered a adlcable hookup and free software. $65

Greg
Old August 3rd 11, 06:58 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
gregz

gregz > wrote:
> gregz > wrote:
>> I can't seem to locate any obd I reader. I have a obd II connector, called
>> the obd 1.5 , I can locate a scanner for hundreds of dollars but I don't
>> think the car is worth that. Anybody got an old reader to part?
>>
>> Greg

> I ordered a adlcable hookup and free software. $65
>
> Greg

This link shows pins 5 and 6 , but there was another version with no 6, and
a 4 .

http://www.aldlcable.com/sc/details.asp?item=aldlobd2u

Greg
Old August 3rd 11, 06:58 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
gregz

Tegger > wrote:
> gregz > wrote in
>
> rg:
>
>> I can't seem to locate any obd I reader. I have a obd II connector,
>> called the obd 1.5 , I can locate a scanner for hundreds of dollars
>> but I don't think the car is worth that. Anybody got an old reader to
>> part?
>>
>> Greg

> Year?
> Make?
> Model?
> Engine?
> California car?

I don't really understand why I need to give model. I said what it needs.

But again, 95 Oldsmobile 88 royal 3.8 and the car only wished to be ca.

Greg
Old August 3rd 11, 06:58 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
gregz

"Steve W." > wrote:
> gregz wrote:
>>>
>>> You'd have to be more specific with year, make & model of vehicle. You
>>> could >> certainly find a used one on eBay for not a lot of money.
>>> I looked on eBay. There is one at advance, but not entirely certain if it

>> will work. To try I would take two wires between active pins for the plug
>> difference. I spent a half day researching and not finished. I understand
>> gm ran out of connectors so they used a 16 pin. There is also another
>> version that you can still short two pins and read ses, but I already tried
>> that. On mine two pins are ground and signal ground.
>>> Greg

> What is the year/make/model/engine and trans of the vehicle in question?
>
> If you do have the OBDI with OBD II subset you need a good scan tool with
> the correct adapter. Most of the ones that are "loaners" or at
> AutoZone/Advance/Kragen places WILL NOT read the codes. They can do OBD II
>
> Most of the better pro class units can handle it though. Those just need
> the correct cables.

For the record, it's a 95 Oldsmobile 88 royal 3.8
There is a shop that claims the car was read there before and now it does
not work. I'll see if I can read it. If it does not work then the computer
needs replaced as I see it.
The car has been running bad before a batched up manifold job.

Greg