Xenon woes

Old September 25th 05, 03:28 PM
Charles C. Shyu

Default Xenon woes

In addition to the high cost of these lights (had to pay nearly $1500 for
new assembly on one side), it's unbelievable how many times people are
flashing me, thinking I have my high beams on. I can hardly drive five
miles without SOMEONE flashing me -- either from the opposite side of the
highway/street or someone pulling behind me after I've passed them. Without
exaggeration, during my last trip from NY to Atlantic City, 10 people pulled
behind me after I passed them to give me the high beam. It's not their high
beams themselves that bother me, it's that I don't like feeling like I'm
doing something wrong when I'm not. And these are just the people that
bother to high beam me -- I imagine the number of people that think I'm
using high beams on them, but don't bother to do it back are far more.

It's Xenon people -- I'm not high beaming you!!!
--
Charles C. Shyu
http://home.earthlink.net/~shyuc/shyu.html

Old September 25th 05, 11:18 PM
R. Mark Clayton

"Charles C. Shyu" > wrote in message
ink.net...
> In addition to the high cost of these lights (had to pay nearly $1500 for
> new assembly on one side), it's unbelievable how many times people are
> flashing me, thinking I have my high beams on. I can hardly drive five
> miles without SOMEONE flashing me -- either from the opposite side of the
> highway/street or someone pulling behind me after I've passed them.
> Without exaggeration, during my last trip from NY to Atlantic City, 10
> people pulled behind me after I passed them to give me the high beam.
> It's not their high beams themselves that bother me, it's that I don't
> like feeling like I'm doing something wrong when I'm not. And these are
> just the people that bother to high beam me -- I imagine the number of
> people that think I'm using high beams on them, but don't bother to do it
> back are far more.
>
> It's Xenon people -- I'm not high beaming you!!!
> --
> Charles C. Shyu
> http://home.earthlink.net/~shyuc/shyu.html

Then they are out of alignment or you are heavily loaded and have not use
the adjust wheel (on the dash somewhere depending on model). Even non xenon
have this feature.

Old September 25th 05, 11:24 PM
Kyle and Lori Greene

"Charles C. Shyu" > wrote in message
ink.net...
> In addition to the high cost of these lights (had to pay nearly $1500 for
> new assembly on one side), it's unbelievable how many times people are
> flashing me, thinking I have my high beams on. I can hardly drive five
> miles without SOMEONE flashing me -- either from the opposite side of the
> highway/street or someone pulling behind me after I've passed them.
> Without exaggeration, during my last trip from NY to Atlantic City, 10
> people pulled behind me after I passed them to give me the high beam.
> It's not their high beams themselves that bother me, it's that I don't
> like feeling like I'm doing something wrong when I'm not. And these are
> just the people that bother to high beam me -- I imagine the number of
> people that think I'm using high beams on them, but don't bother to do it
> back are far more.
>
> It's Xenon people -- I'm not high beaming you!!!
> --
> Charles C. Shyu
> http://home.earthlink.net/~shyuc/shyu.html

Have the alignment of the beams checked. If they're auto leveling (you
didn't mention the year and model of the car), the auto part may not be
working correctly. I see a lot of xenon headlights these days and never
feel that I'm being blinded by the high beams, except for the occasional
jacked up SUV that will blind you no matter what type of lights they have.

Kyle.
98 740iL
97 M3

Old September 26th 05, 01:15 AM
BTF

"Charles C. Shyu" > wrote in message
ink.net...
> In addition to the high cost of these lights (had to pay nearly $1500 for
> new assembly on one side), it's unbelievable how many times people are
> flashing me, thinking I have my high beams on. I can hardly drive five
> miles without SOMEONE flashing me -- either from the opposite side of the
> highway/street or someone pulling behind me after I've passed them.
> Without exaggeration, during my last trip from NY to Atlantic City, 10
> people pulled behind me after I passed them to give me the high beam.
> It's not their high beams themselves that bother me, it's that I don't
> like feeling like I'm doing something wrong when I'm not. And these are
> just the people that bother to high beam me -- I imagine the number of
> people that think I'm using high beams on them, but don't bother to do it
> back are far more.
>
> It's Xenon people -- I'm not high beaming you!!!
> --
> Charles C. Shyu
> http://home.earthlink.net/~shyuc/shyu.html

You should park on level ground about 10 feet away from a white wall. Then
turn on your headlights, they should shine high for about two seconds and
then auto-level down to their correct position. I agree with the other
posters, yours are too high if you are getting the treatment from other
drivers as you say. You should have them professionally checked before
driving at night again.

Old September 26th 05, 04:16 AM
Charles C. Shyu

> You should park on level ground about 10 feet away from a white wall.
> Then turn on your headlights, they should shine high for about two seconds
> and then auto-level down to their correct position. I agree with the
> other posters, yours are too high if you are getting the treatment from
> other drivers as you say. You should have them professionally checked
> before driving at night again.

'05 325Ci. I had my Xenon recently replaced, and have had this experience
both before and after the replacement. Yes, the lights do auto-level, and I
think they're working just fine. My feeling is that most people believe
they are being high beamed, and that NYers are especially ready to let me
know how they feel about that...

Old September 26th 05, 12:18 PM
Class 1

Strange isn't it? My last 3 BMWs have had xenons, and occasionally
(every three months or so) I get someone driving a non-xenon-equipped
car flashing at me.

This usually happens during the dark morning commute, as if people are
more grumpy/sensitive at that time.

It's just one of those things. I usually do nothing, but sometimes
flash my high-beam xenons at them to show I'm not doing anything wrong.
That usually placates them.

Old September 26th 05, 04:15 PM
Malt_Hound

Charles C. Shyu wrote:
> In addition to the high cost of these lights (had to pay nearly $1500 for
> new assembly on one side), it's unbelievable how many times people are
> flashing me, thinking I have my high beams on. I can hardly drive five
> miles without SOMEONE flashing me -- either from the opposite side of the
> highway/street or someone pulling behind me after I've passed them. Without
> exaggeration, during my last trip from NY to Atlantic City, 10 people pulled
> behind me after I passed them to give me the high beam. It's not their high
> beams themselves that bother me, it's that I don't like feeling like I'm
> doing something wrong when I'm not. And these are just the people that
> bother to high beam me -- I imagine the number of people that think I'm
> using high beams on them, but don't bother to do it back are far more.
>
> It's Xenon people -- I'm not high beaming you!!!

Are these original equipment or aftermarket?

Have you checked to be sure that they are properly adjusted? Xenons
headlamp assemblies should have a very sharp and well defined cut-off
that makes them *less* objectionable to other drivers. Of course if
they are pointed too high (as in when you have a heavy load in the trunk).

I has a truck (or SUV can't remember exactly) come up behind me and
tailgate me with his Xenons burning the back of my neck. I can tell you
that is quite annoying. But I'm quite sure that asshole knew exactly
what he was doing.

....and they wonder why there is so much road rage out there?

--
-Fred W
Toys for sale, Hey get your toys he
Old September 26th 05, 04:19 PM
Malt_Hound

R. Mark Clayton wrote:
> "Charles C. Shyu" > wrote in message
> ink.net...
>
>>In addition to the high cost of these lights (had to pay nearly $1500 for
>>new assembly on one side), it's unbelievable how many times people are
>>flashing me, thinking I have my high beams on. I can hardly drive five
>>miles without SOMEONE flashing me -- either from the opposite side of the
>>highway/street or someone pulling behind me after I've passed them.
>>Without exaggeration, during my last trip from NY to Atlantic City, 10
>>people pulled behind me after I passed them to give me the high beam.
>>It's not their high beams themselves that bother me, it's that I don't
>>like feeling like I'm doing something wrong when I'm not. And these are
>>just the people that bother to high beam me -- I imagine the number of
>>people that think I'm using high beams on them, but don't bother to do it
>>back are far more.
>>
>>It's Xenon people -- I'm not high beaming you!!!
>>--
>>Charles C. Shyu
>>http://home.earthlink.net/~shyuc/shyu.html
>>

> Then they are out of alignment or you are heavily loaded and have not use
> the adjust wheel (on the dash somewhere depending on model). Even non xenon
> have this feature.

(Unfortunately) not in the US. No adjustment wheels on the dash.

Old September 26th 05, 07:39 PM
Huw

"Malt_Hound" <""Malt_Hound\"@*spam-me not*yahoo.com"> wrote in message
> R. Mark Clayton wrote:
>> "Charles C. Shyu" > wrote in message
>> ink.net...
>>
>>>In addition to the high cost of these lights (had to pay nearly $1500 for
>>>new assembly on one side), it's unbelievable how many times people are
>>>flashing me, thinking I have my high beams on. I can hardly drive five
>>>miles without SOMEONE flashing me -- either from the opposite side of the
>>>highway/street or someone pulling behind me after I've passed them.
>>>Without exaggeration, during my last trip from NY to Atlantic City, 10
>>>people pulled behind me after I passed them to give me the high beam.
>>>It's not their high beams themselves that bother me, it's that I don't
>>>like feeling like I'm doing something wrong when I'm not. And these are
>>>just the people that bother to high beam me -- I imagine the number of
>>>people that think I'm using high beams on them, but don't bother to do it
>>>back are far more.
>>>
>>>It's Xenon people -- I'm not high beaming you!!!
>>>--
>>>Charles C. Shyu
>>>http://home.earthlink.net/~shyuc/shyu.html
>>>

>> Then they are out of alignment or you are heavily loaded and have not use
>> the adjust wheel (on the dash somewhere depending on model). Even non
>> xenon have this feature.

> (Unfortunately) not in the US. No adjustment wheels on the dash.

Certainly in Europe all cars fitted with true xenon lights must be fitted
with self levelling lights and washers. Dirty glass causes the light to
dazzle much more than clean glass.

Huw

Old September 26th 05, 10:47 PM
Charles C. Shyu

> Are these original equipment or aftermarket?

Original.

> Have you checked to be sure that they are properly adjusted? Xenons
> headlamp assemblies should have a very sharp and well defined cut-off that
> makes them *less* objectionable to other drivers. Of course if they are
> pointed too high (as in when you have a heavy load in the trunk).

I haven't checked to see that they're properly adjusted, and perhaps I
should. I did have the Right side recently replaced, and I figured they
would have adjusted them at that time, but perhaps not... As for the "heavy
load" -- isn't that what the auto leveling is for? Anyway, I never carry a
heavy load.