Winch Woes

Old October 8th 05, 02:44 AM
Carl

Default Winch Woes

Got a new selonoid pack on my warn MX8085 and had the MRV-B-7 rebuilt at a
local shop. New armature, brushes, ect.

Re-installed everything today and was in the process of spooling in my
cable. About 1/4 of the way through, the winch slowed down a lot, but kept
pulling. About 30 seconds later, the selonoids just clicked rapidly, no
winch movement. The power in cable was getting RED hot. Let it cool, while
manually spooling in about 30 ft of cable. Tried again, no dice. Power in
just gets really hot. Everything is hooked up properly.

There are three poles on the winch. Two on the far right side of the motor,
one isolated on the left. The guy at the rebuild shop put a jumper cable
from my battery on either of the two at the right, and shorted it to the one
on the left with a screwdriver to bypass the selonoids to show me the motor
worked. I removed the seloniods and tried it this way, producing only really
big sparks. Putting any kind of power to the pole on the left produces only
exorberant amounts of sparks.

What gives?

Carl

Old October 8th 05, 05:37 AM
Smitty

It sort of sounds like you toasted it

news

Old October 8th 05, 07:12 AM
Carl

I dont understand how i would have toasted it.. It was a fresh rebuild I
picked up today.. I used it for all of 30 seconds.

Carl

ink.net...

Old October 8th 05, 07:33 AM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Hi Carl,
They probably used soldered like their low amp 220 volt motors
instead of silver for something that will take over four hundred amps at
operating temperature.
God Bless America, Bill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Old October 8th 05, 08:17 AM
Earle Horton

Now if I read you right, the motor works properly when the guy from the
rebuild shop hooks it up using a jumper cable, but not when you have it
wired into your system. This could be a poor connection at the battery or a
bad battery cable. Or what Bill said.

Earle

news

Old October 8th 05, 07:39 PM
Carl

It worked properly when I wired up my selonoids - but only for 30 seconds.
Now it doesn't even work the way he showed me.

Carl

news:1128755828.cd3e1a0f02c80981fd39c1cfc6b560c2@t eranews...

Old October 9th 05, 01:16 AM
RoyJ

Back to the rebuild shop. They get to do it over again. Remind them that
this thing is designed to run at starter motor amperages for several
minutes at a time.

Winch motor Carl Jeep 4 October 1st 05 02:34 PM
Inoperable winch b-c-robert Jeep 3 June 19th 05 11:43 AM
Jeep TJ Rubicon Express Springs w/ winch? Derek Proctor Jeep 0 December 1st 04 11:48 PM
Winch??? Zenteren 4x4 4 March 24th 04 03:30 PM