Son, me and oil change woes

Old August 26th 06, 10:40 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
[email protected]

Default Son, me and oil change woes

You people helped so much with my son on changing out his broken car
seat, I'm back again.

Today, we're doing an oil change. He insists he was told his 1998 V-6
mustang has two oil drain plugs, but crawling under there, all I see is
one plug. He admits that all he sees also, but swears there are
supposed to be two plugs.

He says that is because a body support part is supposed to bisect the
pan and forced ford to put in plugs on each end of the pan. But we
don't see the supposed support part either.

Admittedly, we don't have the car up on stands or anything, and even
though we are both thin, it's tough to get under there.

And, while we have CD repair manual for some reason we are having
trouble getting it to open today.

Is there just the one plug on this car?
Tina

Old August 27th 06, 03:32 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Mort Guffman

On 26 Aug 2006 14:40:31 -0700, wrote:

>You people helped so much with my son on changing out his broken car
>seat, I'm back again.
>
>Today, we're doing an oil change. He insists he was told his 1998 V-6
>mustang has two oil drain plugs, but crawling under there, all I see is
>one plug. He admits that all he sees also, but swears there are
>supposed to be two plugs.
>
>He says that is because a body support part is supposed to bisect the
>pan and forced ford to put in plugs on each end of the pan. But we
>don't see the supposed support part either.
>
>Admittedly, we don't have the car up on stands or anything, and even
>though we are both thin, it's tough to get under there.
>
>And, while we have CD repair manual for some reason we are having
>trouble getting it to open today.
>
>Is there just the one plug on this car?
>Tina

My 98 V8 has only one drain plug. I remember having older Mustangs
with two (I think my 87 had two).

You know, you can cause yourself untold grief by doing an oil change
wrong. That's why I do my own, but you may want to just have it done
at a shop.

On my 87 a Goodyear shop broke the threads on the oil pan. I was never
able to determine if it was a faulty oil pan or they over-tightened.
That cost me a lot of money. I used those rubber plugs for years till
I couldn't stand the slow leak anymore and got the pan replaced.

On my 98 the Ford Dealer forgot to put the dipstick back in the tube.
They left it laying on the engine, so when they closed the hood the
plastic T-handle broke. I had to go back twice to get it replaced.
Once to prove what they had done, a second time to pick up the part.

The same dealer sent me off another time a quart low. I had to drive
back and get my 6th quart. They didn't know that Cobras held 6 quarts.

Mort
Old August 27th 06, 04:01 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Jon[_3_]

> wrote in message
ups.com...
> You people helped so much with my son on changing out his broken car
> seat, I'm back again.
>
> Today, we're doing an oil change. He insists he was told his 1998 V-6
> mustang has two oil drain plugs, but crawling under there, all I see is
> one plug. He admits that all he sees also, but swears there are
> supposed to be two plugs.

the 5.0's have two plugs 87 to 95 mustangs.

check the OM for sure, call ford parts at local dealer

Old August 27th 06, 05:03 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Jason Honingford

That's funny, my Dad and I have had so many problems getting a simple oil
change done -- from putting in too much oil, to not using a washer on the
plug. I don't get it -- how do you mess up an oil change this way! And these
are dealers doing it!

Jason

Old August 27th 06, 04:55 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
[email protected]

Well, we've done them on our Toyotas for years, just the "two drain
plug" question that had us wondering.

We bit the bullet and pulled the one plug. Thanks, all for the help. I
was surprised that the drain plug was metric.

BTW, finally managed to open our CD repair manual. No help on the pan.

Old August 28th 06, 04:15 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Kate[_3_]

Thought he ordered that service CD ....
??

Kate