Exhaust Manifold Recommendation

Old April 5th 05, 04:02 AM
Jerry Slaughter

Default Exhaust Manifold Recommendation

Hey folks,

I need to replace the exhaust manifold on my 99 TJ. What is the best
recommendation from those that have been there/done that? Looking on ebay
and searching the web I see a wide range of units available.

Thanks!

Jerry S.

Old April 5th 05, 08:51 AM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

http://www.1aauto.com/1A/Drivetrain/-/-/1AEEM00146/
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Old April 5th 05, 03:46 PM
David C. Moller

I bit the bullet and replaced it with a header on my '99. Good excuse
for an upgrade, and I got a good deal on a Thorley.

Dave

On Mon, 4 Apr 2005 22:02:17 -0500, "Jerry Slaughter"

Old April 6th 05, 07:23 AM
popeyeball

Hi Jerry,
You do not say what kind of condition your exhaust manifold is in. My
97 TJ is only now starting to hiss and I am looking at a POR Fire
Sealant 2000 produtct http://www.por15.com/product.asp?productid=7 I
just recieved the catalog in the mail and wa looking at the rust paint
that I have read good things about but I have not heard anything about
this 'exhaust patch'. In any event, it's down & dirty (read that as
chaep) only $15, but I like Bill's $135 product also - depends on your
cash flow and the condition of your manifold.
Good Luck,
Steve
Hey, has anyone heard anything about this Fire Sealant 2000? It's
suppose to handle 2000 degees - huppe or a good product?

Old April 6th 05, 11:28 PM
Jerry Slaughter

"popeyeball" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Hi Jerry,
> You do not say what kind of condition your exhaust manifold is in. My
> 97 TJ is only now starting to hiss and I am looking at a POR Fire
> Sealant 2000 produtct http://www.por15.com/product.asp?productid=7 I
> just recieved the catalog in the mail and wa looking at the rust paint
> that I have read good things about but I have not heard anything about
> this 'exhaust patch'. In any event, it's down & dirty (read that as
> chaep) only $15, but I like Bill's $135 product also - depends on your
> cash flow and the condition of your manifold.
> Good Luck,
> Steve
> Hey, has anyone heard anything about this Fire Sealant 2000? It's
> suppose to handle 2000 degees - huppe or a good product?

While I have not visually verified the extent of damage to my manifold, but
I have all of the classic symptoms. The exhaust noise is loud from the
front, I get a "popping" backfire upon deceleration (more when the engine is
warm) and a strong smell of exhaust coming from the front of the jeep,
especially when the windows are down. It has been a progressive issue for
the last few months, but I have been holding off until the warmer weather
set in so I could do the job more comfortably.

I'm a little worried about the condition of the exhaust studs. They have a
significant layer of rust on them and I am concerned about them breaking
when I remove the manifold. I may go ahead and buy a set of replacements and
an ez-out to have on hand when I do the job. I will also soak them overnight
with penetrating oil before I start.

Any other hints?

Thanks!

Old April 6th 05, 11:35 PM
DougW

Jerry Slaughter did pass the time by typing:

> I'm a little worried about the condition of the exhaust studs. They have a
> significant layer of rust on them and I am concerned about them breaking
> when I remove the manifold. I may go ahead and buy a set of replacements and
> an ez-out to have on hand when I do the job. I will also soak them overnight
> with penetrating oil before I start.

I was woried about my ZJ but the bolts all came out with a crecent wrench.
(pb blaster overnight probably didn't hurt)

> Any other hints?

If you do get one that siezes try more PB blaster on the threads and
tap the end lightly with a hammer/drift to break the crud loose.

Remember, clean both the head and manifold. Don't leave any carbon traces
on the head (a scotch brite pad works good) Bits of sock/papertowel will
help keep crud from falling down the exhaust port. ALthough for the most
part that's only going to be carbon flakes from the exhaust port.

--
DougW

Old April 7th 05, 12:09 AM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Sounds like you may have the new record:
http://www.billhughes.com/brokenheader.jpg
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O

Old April 7th 05, 02:17 AM
Jerry Slaughter

"L.W. ("ßill") Hughes III" > wrote in message
> Sounds like you may have the new record:
> http://www.billhughes.com/brokenheader.jpg
> God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O
>

> Jerry Slaughter wrote:

Lord I hope its not that bad...I'll be sure to take a couple of pics as I
go. Thanks for all the feedback.

Jerry S.

Old April 7th 05, 03:55 AM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Thanks.
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Old April 8th 05, 03:53 PM
David C. Moller

On Wed, 6 Apr 2005 17:28:00 -0500, "Jerry Slaughter"
> wrote:
>
>While I have not visually verified the extent of damage to my manifold, but
>I have all of the classic symptoms. The exhaust noise is loud from the
>front, I get a "popping" backfire upon deceleration (more when the engine is
>warm) and a strong smell of exhaust coming from the front of the jeep,
>especially when the windows are down. It has been a progressive issue for
>the last few months, but I have been holding off until the warmer weather
>set in so I could do the job more comfortably.
>
>I'm a little worried about the condition of the exhaust studs. They have a
>significant layer of rust on them and I am concerned about them breaking
>when I remove the manifold. I may go ahead and buy a set of replacements and
>an ez-out to have on hand when I do the job. I will also soak them overnight
>with penetrating oil before I start.
>
>Any other hints?
>
>Thanks!

Yups, that popping backfire sound is what finally made me get off my
ass and replace mine. Only hint I can give you is to get a swivel
socket or whatever it's called. The angles to the studs can be kind of
tough. All of mine came out with no breakage.

Dave