Arco gas?

Old July 22nd 07, 05:45 AM posted to ca.driving,rec.autos.misc,rec.autos.tech,rec.autos.makers.honda
[email protected]

Default Arco gas?

I noticed that Arco is the cheapest priced gas around.
Is there anything wrong with it or it bad for Honda engines?

Old July 23rd 07, 02:35 AM posted to ca.driving,rec.autos.misc,rec.autos.tech,rec.autos.makers.honda
Paul D. DeRocco

> "Elmo P. Shagnasty" > wrote
>
> Here's what you do: run several tanks of Arco, and figure out how many
> cents per mile it costs to run.
>
> Then run several tanks of Shell and figure out how many cents per mile
> it costs to run.
>
> It's all about the fuel cost per mile, and not at all about the price
> per gallon at the pump.

Unless you drive the same trip all the time, I think it'll take way more
than a few tankfuls to average out the noise in that measurement. I went
through ten tankfuls of regular in my car, and ten of premium, and got
slightly better gas mileage with regular (about 1%), which I don't believe
for an instant, especially since the car feels slightly better running on
premium.

It might be possible to make this measurement if your car has an MPG meter,
and you do the same test run on a particular piece of road at a particular
speed, on windless days.

--

Ciao, Paul D. DeRocco
Paul mailto

Old July 23rd 07, 02:58 AM posted to ca.driving,rec.autos.misc,rec.autos.tech,rec.autos.makers.honda
Steve Sobol

["Followup-To:" header set to ca.driving.]

> Gas is gas, until the vendor adds its additive packages.

Even then....

Old July 23rd 07, 03:36 AM posted to ca.driving,rec.autos.misc,rec.autos.tech,rec.autos.makers.honda
John S.

On Jul 22, 12:45 am, wrote:
> I noticed that Arco is the cheapest priced gas around.
> Is there anything wrong with it or it bad for Honda engines?

It's cheaper because they are not paying merchant discount on credit
cards. I tried buying gas twice in Arco stations outside of San Diego
and twice they screwed up the amount of the prepayment. There are
enough other gas stations around who have their act together that the
minor price difference with Arco is not worth it.