Oil and Filter Change

Old November 24th 07, 09:37 PM posted to alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.tech,alt.autos.toyota.camry
Ray O

Default Oil and Filter Change

"Mark A" > wrote in message
> "Ray O" <rokigawaATtristarassociatesDOTcom> wrote in message
>> I bet you saw a technician using an air ratchet to run the lug nuts down
>> to the wheel since the air ratchet doesn't generate enough torque to
>> over-tighten the lug nuts, and then tightening the lug nuts with a torque
>> wrench.
>> --
>> Ray O

> I bet you are fanaticizing again in order to make excuses for lousy dealer
> service.

Built Well was describing what he saw at Wal Mart, not a dealership, and the
tool he was describing sounds more like a ratchet than an impact wrench.
--

Ray O
(correct punctuation to reply)

Old November 24th 07, 10:23 PM posted to alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.tech,alt.autos.toyota.camry
Mark A

"Ray O" <rokigawaATtristarassociatesDOTcom> wrote in message
> Built Well was describing what he saw at Wal Mart, not a dealership, and
> the tool he was describing sounds more like a ratchet than an impact
> wrench.
> --
> Ray O

He also described what he saw at a dealer.

Old November 25th 07, 03:28 AM posted to alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.tech,alt.autos.toyota.camry
Ray O

"Mark A" > wrote in message
> "Ray O" <rokigawaATtristarassociatesDOTcom> wrote in message
>> Built Well was describing what he saw at Wal Mart, not a dealership, and
>> the tool he was describing sounds more like a ratchet than an impact
>> wrench.
>> --
>> Ray O

> He also described what he saw at a dealer.

I stand corrected. Dealers do get things right once in a while ;-)

Old November 25th 07, 04:52 AM posted to alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.tech,alt.autos.toyota.camry
Ray[_9_]

Built_Well wrote:

> I was at Super Walmart yesterday picking up a few things.
> I don't like regular Walmarts, but Super Walmarts are
> a totally different story. If you've never shopped at
> a Super Walmart, you've never shopped at Walmart.
>
> Anyway, I happened to see 2 auto techs using torque
> wrenches on an '05 or '06 Camry. The techs were following
> each other. I asked them about this. They said it's
> Walmart's policy to have two different people torque
> each wheel's lug nuts to final torque. And after
> they do that, one drives the car in the back lot doing
> one or two figure-8's, and then uses a torque wrench for
> the /third/ time to torque the wheels.
>
> I asked why Walmart is so meticulous. The tech said
> it was for legal purposes to make sure a wheel doesn't
> fly off. I wonder if Walmart got sued once?
>
> The fellas first used a torque stick attached to an
> impact/air wrench, then torqued the wheels 3 separate
> times by 2 different people using torque wrenches.
> And of course, the car was driven in a figure-8 before
> the third and final torquing. That's commitment!

only one problem with this - retorquing an already torqued bolt will
probably add more torque to it. Engine parts are not recommended to be
torque checked this way.

For lug nuts, it's fine.

This is assuming of course, they're checking the manual for the right
torque for the car they're working on. My truck takes a lot more torque
per nut than my Subaru.

Ray
Old November 26th 07, 01:01 AM posted to alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.tech,alt.autos.toyota.camry
Mark A

"Tegger" > wrote in message
> This is why they tell you to use jack stands. And to make sure the stands
> are on solid ground.

This will put the fear of God in Built_Well. After reading this, I think he
will take his car to an Express Lube:

Man crushed by dump truck

By Katie Humphrey | Sunday, November 25, 2007, 02:38 PM

One man died Saturday evening after getting caught under a dump truck he was
working on in Southeast Travis County, officials said.

The 46-year-old man was working on the dump truck at a garage in the 4200
block of Burch Drive at about 6:40 p.m. when it rolled, catching him
underneath, said Roger Wade, spokesman for the Travis County Sheriff's
Office.

Another man who was at the garage was not injured, Wade said.

The man was pronounced dead at the scene. His name will not be released
until the Travis County Medical Examiner's Office confirms his identity,
Wade said.

"Right now, it looks like a workplace accident," Wade said.

The sheriff's office and the Occupational Health and Safety Administration
are investigating the accident.

Old November 30th 07, 05:12 PM posted to alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.tech
Mark A

"Built_Well" > wrote in message
anews.com...
> Anyway, I guess I'll pick up the lifetime-warranted Craftsman
> beam-type torquer for the 18 foot-pound drain plug.

Your kidding, aren't you?

99.9999% of the time drain plugs are tightened without a torque wrench. Just
make sure it is tight, but not so tight that you can't get it off next time.
If you do happen to damage the drain plug or washer, get a new one at your
dealer for a few bucks.

Old November 30th 07, 07:48 PM posted to alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.tech
Mark A

"Scott Dorsey" > wrote in message
> BUT... the truth is that a light torque wrench is a great tool that
> you'll need for something else sooner or later... and someday you might
> just find yourself rebuilding your engine or transmission. $25 is a
> small price to pay for being able to change out your valve cover gaskets
> when they start leaking, which they will.

I can't speak for others, but I don't think I will be rebuilding an engine
or transmission anytime soon, and since BUILT_WELL lives in an apartment
with no garage, I don't think he will be either.

Since I starting buying Hondas and Toyotas in 1986, I have never had a valve
cover gasket leak. My 98 Camry doesn't leak anywhere.

Old November 30th 07, 07:49 PM posted to alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.tech
Mark A

"Ray O" <rokigawaATtristarassociatesDOTcom> wrote in message
> I have never seen anyone use a torque wrench on an oil pan drain plug, an
> unless you plan on rebuilding your engine or transmission, don't waste
> your money on another torque wrench.
>
> Ray O

Now Ray, you are going to spoil it for him.

This is turning into the most elaborately planned and expensive oil change
in the history of the automobile.

Old November 30th 07, 07:53 PM posted to alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.tech
Mark A

> Built Well may decide to delve into other such lofty pursuits as
> changing his spark plugs, replacing his valve cover gasket(s),
> replacing his brake pads and rotors, T-belt and water pump.

There is not a enough bandwidth available on the internet to handle the
newsgroup traffic he will generate if he decides to do those things.

Old December 1st 07, 02:25 AM posted to alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.tech
Mark A

"Built_Well" > wrote in message
anews.com...
> Mark A., you're becoming quite a pest. Why don't you
> make yourself useful and tell us about some of your
> same-sex experiences. How many men have you been with
> and when was the last time? You must miss the rough
> caress of a man's hands [LOL]

Useful? So you think it would be useful for me to tell you stories about
homosexual encounters? Is that what turns you on?

Sorry, I have had no such experiences. You will have get your pleasures from
somebody else.