Toyota Corolla May Be Recalled over Steering Problem

Old February 18th 10, 01:54 PM posted to alt.autos.toyota,alt.autos.toyota.camry,alt.autos.toyota.prius,alt.autos.lexus,rec.autos.tech
dr_jeff

Default Toyota Corolla May Be Recalled over Steering Problem

Tegger wrote:
> john > wrote in
> :
>
>> Veered sharply at highway speeds? Must be junk design.

> Or an unsubstantiated allegation, which most of these "complaints" are at
> this point.

That's true of the brake problems. Apparently, Toyota and the NHTSA
failed to address the reports and take appropriate action, leading to a
big mess.

> You're aware that some half of all collisions are single-vehicle crashes? A
> single-vehicle crash is an embarrassing thing to be involved in; it's an
> embarrassment leading to the possibility of owners blaming their bad
> driving on the car.

IINM, some of the reports were from people whose cars did not crash.

As computers control more of a car's function, I hope the computers will
keep better data, so that when there is a problem, engineers can upload
the data and determine what really happened.

Old February 18th 10, 01:56 PM posted to alt.autos.toyota,alt.autos.toyota.camry,alt.autos.toyota.prius,alt.autos.lexus,rec.autos.tech
Tegger[_2_]

dr_jeff > wrote in
:

> Tegger wrote:
>> john > wrote in
>>
>> :
>>
>>> Veered sharply at highway speeds? Must be junk design.

>> Or an unsubstantiated allegation, which most of these "complaints"
>> are at this point.

> That's true of the brake problems.

It's also true of the new PS thing. The NHTSA has said so.

> Apparently, Toyota and the NHTSA
> failed to address the reports and take appropriate action, leading to
> a big mess.

The "big mess" is in the media alone. So far, ONE death confirmed as being
specifically due to a stuck gas pedal.

--
Tegger

Old February 18th 10, 02:02 PM posted to alt.autos.toyota,alt.autos.toyota.camry,alt.autos.toyota.prius,alt.autos.lexus,rec.autos.tech
dr_jeff

Tegger wrote:
> dr_jeff > wrote in
> :
>
>> Tegger wrote:
>>> john > wrote in
>>>
>>> :

>>> Or an unsubstantiated allegation, which most of these "complaints"
>>> are at this point.

>> That's true of the brake problems.

> It's also true of the new PS thing. The NHTSA has said so.
>

>> Apparently, Toyota and the NHTSA
>> failed to address the reports and take appropriate action, leading to
>> a big mess.

> The "big mess" is in the media alone. So far, ONE death confirmed as being
> specifically due to a stuck gas pedal.

How do you confirm that a death is due to a stuck gas pedal? Do you have
to call in to 9-1-1 and say that you're going to die from a stuck gas
pedal? A stuck gas pedal is a really hard thing to confirm.
Old February 18th 10, 02:16 PM posted to alt.autos.toyota,alt.autos.toyota.camry,alt.autos.toyota.prius,alt.autos.lexus,rec.autos.tech
Tegger[_2_]

dr_jeff > wrote in
:

> Tegger wrote:

>> The "big mess" is in the media alone. So far, ONE death confirmed as
>> being specifically due to a stuck gas pedal.

> How do you confirm that a death is due to a stuck gas pedal? Do you
> have to call in to 9-1-1 and say that you're going to die from a stuck
> gas pedal? A stuck gas pedal is a really hard thing to confirm.

OK, then we have NO deaths confirmed as being due to a stuck gas pedal.

What a witch-hunt.

--
Tegger

Old February 18th 10, 03:09 PM posted to alt.autos.toyota,alt.autos.toyota.camry,alt.autos.toyota.prius,alt.autos.lexus,rec.autos.tech
[email protected]

On Feb 18, 6:54*am, Tegger > wrote:
> john > wrote in news:53abe15c-ca24-451e-92cb-
> :
>
> > Many owners have posted about steering problems here, and guess what?
> > There is a problem and Corolla may be recalled!

> > "Some Corolla drivers in the U.S. have reported experiencing a loss of
> > steering control, typically occurring at higher speeds.

> The witch-hunt continues...
>
> There's no problem with the steering other than a "feel" that people aren't
> used to.
>
> Odd how nobody complained about the EPS that was available on the MR2 for
> years; the new Corolla's system is similar to that.
>
> --
> Tegger

I've always speculated it was just something that needed to be
reprogrammed. It's not a safety issue per say.. It just aggravates
people when they are on the highway. Myself, I think most of the
problem is there is likely too much assist at highway speeds, and
it needs to be toned down a bit.
On a normal variable assist steering, there should be a good
amount of assist at slow speeds, but very little if any at highway
speeds. At speed, you want to mimic the feel of a non assisted
rack and pinion.
I've always felt they must be running too much assist at speed
if it feels squirrely assuming the alignment is right.
It's nothing that is dangerous. It's not like the steering is going
to unhook and let you smash a guard rail.. :/ Good grief....

Old February 18th 10, 03:34 PM posted to alt.autos.toyota,alt.autos.toyota.camry,alt.autos.toyota.prius,alt.autos.lexus,rec.autos.tech
jim beam[_4_]

On 02/18/2010 06:16 AM, Tegger wrote:
> > wrote in
> :
>
>> Tegger wrote:

>>> The "big mess" is in the media alone. So far, ONE death confirmed as
>>> being specifically due to a stuck gas pedal.

>> How do you confirm that a death is due to a stuck gas pedal? Do you
>> have to call in to 9-1-1 and say that you're going to die from a stuck
>> gas pedal? A stuck gas pedal is a really hard thing to confirm.
>>

> OK, then we have NO deaths confirmed as being due to a stuck gas pedal.
>
> What a witch-hunt.

you should be able to recover the last 30 seconds of data from the
engine computer - that should tell you speed, throttle position, etc.
and whether throttle position stayed fixed. but even that doesn't
confirm with certainty - maybe the guy was having a heart attack and had
his foot pressed down in pain.

--
nomina rutrum rutrum
Old February 18th 10, 09:14 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Banned

Electric windows/power windows, electric door locks, some vehicles have
electric/electronic doors and locks, electric trunks, (boots, in Brit
speak) power steering, power brakes, electric/electronic power
everything.Both of my Dodge vans have power steering and power brakes.I
wish they didn't have power steering.I can easily do OK with old style
factory installed manual/non power steering.Brakes too.
cuhulin

Old February 18th 10, 10:14 PM posted to alt.autos.toyota,alt.autos.toyota.camry,alt.autos.toyota.prius,alt.autos.lexus,rec.autos.tech
ChrisCoaster

On Feb 18, 10:09*am, wrote:

> On a normal variable assist steering, there should be a good
> amount of assist at slow speeds, but very little if any at highway
> speeds. At speed, you want to mimic the feel of a non assisted
> rack and pinion.

something http://www.bmwcoop.com/wp-content/im...1/bmw-logo.jpg
has more than mastered!

Now why can't they do that for the MASSES?

(us po' folks!)

-CCoaster
Old February 18th 10, 10:18 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
ChrisCoaster

On Feb 18, 4:14*pm, wrote:
> Electric windows/power windows, electric door locks, some vehicles have
> electric/electronic doors and locks, electric trunks, (boots, in Brit
> speak) power steering, power brakes, electric/electronic power
> everything.Both of my Dodge vans have power steering and power brakes.I
> wish they didn't have power steering.I can easily do OK with old style
> factory installed manual/non power steering.Brakes too.
> cuhulin

_______________
Here, Here! There's just certain things they shouldn't
electrify. . . It's like reinventing the wheel. I don't want a PS
system that "mimics" the centered feel of a well designed suspension.
I want a well designed suspension with next to no power steering over
20mph. That's what things like "Caster", "Camber", and "SAI" are for.

nuff said.

-CC
Old February 18th 10, 10:57 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
dsi1[_2_]

On 2/18/2010 12:18 PM, ChrisCoaster wrote:
> On Feb 18, 4:14 pm, wrote:
>> Electric windows/power windows, electric door locks, some vehicles have
>> electric/electronic doors and locks, electric trunks, (boots, in Brit
>> speak) power steering, power brakes, electric/electronic power
>> everything.Both of my Dodge vans have power steering and power brakes.I
>> wish they didn't have power steering.I can easily do OK with old style
>> factory installed manual/non power steering.Brakes too.
>> cuhulin

> _______________
> Here, Here! There's just certain things they shouldn't
> electrify. . . It's like reinventing the wheel. I don't want a PS
> system that "mimics" the centered feel of a well designed suspension.
> I want a well designed suspension with next to no power steering over
> 20mph. That's what things like "Caster", "Camber", and "SAI" are for.

Your automotive future looks dim. My guess is that the gas engine is not
going to be around in a short while. The steering assist, brake assist,
heating and cooling will all have to be electrical. Well, that's the
breaks. My neighbor had to have her 2 year old Hybrid Camry's power
steering system replaced so it might be that the technology is not
reliable at this time but that's to be expected.

The good news is that we'll probably still have caster, camber and
toe-in adjustments. What's SAI?