new rotary engine trouble ?

Old March 25th 06, 08:14 PM posted to uk.rec.cars.maintenance,rec.autos.tech

Default new rotary engine trouble ?

Hi, i see tv ads for the mazda RX8 with the rotary engine. have mazda
solved all the previous problems with this engine or is it still trouble
awaiting?

Old March 25th 06, 08:22 PM posted to uk.rec.cars.maintenance,rec.autos.tech

"jw 1111" > wrote in message
> Hi, i see tv ads for the mazda RX8 with the rotary engine. have mazda
> solved all the previous problems with this engine or is it still trouble
> awaiting?

What problems were unsolved?

Old March 25th 06, 08:47 PM posted to uk.rec.cars.maintenance,rec.autos.tech

> What problems were unsolved?

IIRC from previous threads (I know SFA about cars btw) there was a
main seal on the engine that was prone to failure

--
--- Please add "newsgroup" in the subject of any personal replies ---
--- My anti-spam address has "ngspamtrap" & @btinternet.com in it ---
Old March 25th 06, 08:54 PM posted to uk.rec.cars.maintenance,rec.autos.tech

Colin Wilson > wrote:
>> What problems were unsolved?

> IIRC from previous threads (I know SFA about cars btw) there was a
> main seal on the engine that was prone to failure

Apex seals - kind of a service item, but a bit of a strip down to replace.
60k miles seems to be about right.

--
Aggressive sweeping momentarily melts the ice, which lessens friction,
thereby lessening the deceleration of the rock, while straightening the

Old March 25th 06, 09:06 PM posted to uk.rec.cars.maintenance,rec.autos.tech

In article >, Chas Hurst
says...

> "jw 1111" > wrote in message
> > Hi, i see tv ads for the mazda RX8 with the rotary engine. have mazda
> > solved all the previous problems with this engine or is it still trouble
> > awaiting?

> What problems were unsolved?

Apex seals and the rotor tips used to wear.

--
Conor,

Same ****, different day.
Old March 25th 06, 09:22 PM posted to uk.rec.cars.maintenance,rec.autos.tech

"Conor" > wrote in message
t...
> In article >, Chas Hurst
> says...
>>
>> "jw 1111" > wrote in message
>> > Hi, i see tv ads for the mazda RX8 with the rotary engine. have mazda
>> > solved all the previous problems with this engine or is it still
>> > trouble
>> > awaiting?

>> What problems were unsolved?
>>

> Apex seals and the rotor tips used to wear.

The apex seal problem was solved in the early 70's. I never heard of rotor
tip wear.

Old March 25th 06, 09:29 PM posted to uk.rec.cars.maintenance,rec.autos.tech

In article >, Chas Hurst
says...

> The apex seal problem was solved in the early 70's. I never heard of rotor
> tip wear.

Came across alot of it when I did a stint in a scrappies.

--
Conor,

Same ****, different day.
Old March 25th 06, 09:38 PM posted to uk.rec.cars.maintenance,rec.autos.tech

"Conor" > wrote in message
t...
> In article >, Chas Hurst
> says...
>
>> The apex seal problem was solved in the early 70's. I never heard of
>> rotor
>> tip wear.
>>

> Came across alot of it when I did a stint in a scrappies.

What wore? The groove for the seal?

Old March 25th 06, 10:18 PM posted to uk.rec.cars.maintenance,rec.autos.tech

jw 1111 wrote:
> Hi, i see tv ads for the mazda RX8 with the rotary engine. have mazda
> solved all the previous problems with this engine or is it still trouble
> awaiting?

Which problems are you talking about. I'm not aware of any problems
with a rotary made in the last 25 years.

Old March 26th 06, 02:52 AM posted to uk.rec.cars.maintenance,rec.autos.tech

"Johannes" > wrote in message

> "John S." wrote:
>>
>> jw 1111 wrote:
>> > Hi, i see tv ads for the mazda RX8 with the rotary engine. have mazda
>> > solved all the previous problems with this engine or is it still
>> > trouble
>> > awaiting?

>> Which problems are you talking about. I'm not aware of any problems
>> with a rotary made in the last 25 years.

> Relatively high fuel consumption and using engine oil between changes?

Those are characteristics of the rotary and not considered problems.