Cowbells and Jeeps

Old August 20th 05, 05:29 PM
Paul Calman

Default Cowbells and Jeeps

As I understand it, the origin of people putting bells on motorcycles and
Jeeps comes from Jeepers awarding a cowbell to one of their group who has
rolled on the trail, both as a badge of honor, and a warning to others. I
was awarded by bell by older friends a long time ago.
Do any of you have any info to either support or dismiss this legend?

--
Paul Calman, Hathaway Pines, California

Old August 20th 05, 09:08 PM
Nathan W. Collier

"Jerry Bransford" > wrote in message
> It's "awarded" to those who have done something to deserve it (always in
> good fun!) like doing something a little recklessly, almost running over
> your spotter,

heh.......ive never heard that but its funny!

somebody should give this guy 2 bells:

http://www.fearsomefour.com/VID/Clayton-large.wmv

--
Nathan W. Collier
http://InlineDiesel.com

Old August 21st 05, 04:38 PM
Jeff Strickland

I carried the cowbell for our club for about 2 years - precisely for the
reason you suggest.

Old August 21st 05, 05:36 PM
Jerry Bransford

Jeff Strickland wrote:
> I carried the cowbell for our club for about 2 years - precisely for the
> reason you suggest.

Was that the same rollover (backwards down the LH-Turn hill) you did in
front of me at LCIR? Or was that for a DIFFERENT rollover heheh.

Jerry
--
Jerry Bransford
PP-ASEL N6TAY
Old August 22nd 05, 07:17 AM
Paul Calman

The reason i mentioned that is that it transferred to motorcycling years ago
in the form of the "crash bell" . This has become considered cute and been
commercialized, and stories of the bell driving off 'crash gremlins" or some
other BS have been going around. Someone I know wrote about this "legend of
the bell" on her web page, and got this email.

>"nice website... the term Legend of the Bell is a registered trademark of

D'Pirate Distributing. the serial #76175966 and registration #2590947 with
the United States Patent and Trademark office...please give credit or remove
from site. thank you, susan bean, owner, D'Pirate"

Mrs. Bean will be receiving quite a few emails at
asking her to "give credit" where it is due.
--
Paul Calman, Hathaway Pines, California

Old August 23rd 05, 03:19 AM
Jeff Strickland

> Jeff Strickland wrote:
>> I carried the cowbell for our club for about 2 years - precisely for the
>> reason you suggest.

> Was that the same rollover (backwards down the LH-Turn hill) you did in
> front of me at LCIR? Or was that for a DIFFERENT rollover heheh.

Jesus Christ, Jerry! How should I know? ;-)

My co-driver that day says that was the Event. I have only actually rolled
all of the way over once, but I have parked on the side a few times.

Old August 23rd 05, 03:20 AM
Jeff Strickland

"Paul Calman" > wrote in message
> The reason i mentioned that is that it transferred to motorcycling years
> ago in the form of the "crash bell" . This has become considered cute and
> been commercialized, and stories of the bell driving off 'crash gremlins"
> or some other BS have been going around. Someone I know wrote about this
> "legend of the bell" on her web page, and got this email.

I'm not sure if it drives the gremlins off or not, but the specators tend to
gather like flies at a picnic.