Opinions Sought C4/C6

Old January 27th 05, 04:02 PM
Joel Jacobs

Default Opinions Sought C4/C6

I am a huge fan of the C4 Corvettes, having owned four of them. My current
C4, a '94 has 119,000 miles on it. It runs perfect. Has new Opti and water
pump. New plugs and wires, new tires, new Bilsteins. Uses NO oil, runs
strong. Looks great - side bolsters are a bit worn.

Am seeing C6s discounted several thousands of dollars in various locations
around Dallas/Ft. Worth.

So, should I just keep my C4 and put 250,000 miles on it, or do I buy a C6?
Having both is not a practical option for me.

Opinions?

Joel Jacobs
4th C4 at 63

Old January 27th 05, 05:04 PM
Dad

"Joel Jacobs" > wrote in message
>I am a huge fan of the C4 Corvettes, having owned four of them. My current
>C4, a '94 has 119,000 miles on it. It runs perfect. Has new Opti and water
>pump. New plugs and wires, new tires, new Bilsteins. Uses NO oil, runs
>strong. Looks great - side bolsters are a bit worn.
>
> Am seeing C6s discounted several thousands of dollars in various locations
> around Dallas/Ft. Worth.
>
> So, should I just keep my C4 and put 250,000 miles on it, or do I buy a
> C6? Having both is not a practical option for me.
>
> Opinions?
>
> Joel Jacobs
> 4th C4 at 63

With a little time in every generation and a lot of time in C5s and 7,000
miles in a C6 my decision would be an easy one. Squeeze the hell out of a
dealer for a good price on a C5 of my choice and forget the C6. The C6 has
nowhere the advance in quality, design, performance, sex appeal, ride, room,
and overall value over the C5 as did the C3 alone during its reign.

I was in a small town dealer yesterday and they had 2 on the showroom floor
and they were very interested in talking with me about putting me in the
"fabulous C6" until I told them I already had one. Being hard to get was one
of the first things in the sales pitch plus how much better they are than
the C5, both are untrue. They had the license plate bracket on both, looked
"fabulous".

It would be interesting to have a person that has not driven both, or either
one, to take them for a ride while blind folded and see which one wins their
approval. I think I would have a hard time telling the difference myself,
they are that close. Drive them both and see what you think, it matters
little what other people think about what I'm driving.

Before the flames start there are things I like about my C6 but not the way
I liked the C5s, the C1s or the C3, to late smart is all I can say.

--
Dad
05 C6 Silver/Red 6spd Z51

Old January 28th 05, 01:55 AM
Bob G.

On Thu, 27 Jan 2005 10:02:32 -0600, "Joel Jacobs" >
wrote:

>I am a huge fan of the C4 Corvettes, having owned four of them. My current
>C4, a '94 has 119,000 miles on it. It runs perfect. Has new Opti and water
>pump. New plugs and wires, new tires, new Bilsteins. Uses NO oil, runs
>strong. Looks great - side bolsters are a bit worn.
>
>Am seeing C6s discounted several thousands of dollars in various locations
>around Dallas/Ft. Worth.
>
>So, should I just keep my C4 and put 250,000 miles on it, or do I buy a C6?
>Having both is not a practical option for me.
>
>Opinions?
>
>Joel Jacobs
>4th C4 at 63

============================
Read the reply that "Dad" posted... I tend to agree with him
especially with his comments on the C5 vs C6...

In My case I am retired and while not hurting for money tend to
keep "costs" in mind... at least until I get my 1st SS check next year
at which point I may finance a new Corvette and let uncle sam
pay for the darn thing... (I think it was "Dad" himself who gave me
this great idea...lol) I always paid cash for my cars...never
financed a car YET in my life...

I own 5 Corvettes...64-72-76-79 & a 95 ...and am looking for just the
right USED C5 to add to my "fleet"...mostly for the reasons Dad
stated...plus they are a hell of a lot cheaper...since I am not
planning on selling any of my current cars.... IF I had to sell one
it would be a tough call between the 95 or the 79 (only automatic
one I own)

I however am NOT a big fan of the C4 ... my 95 is a damn nice car
and it does all I ask it to do...has been extremely trouble free but I
refuse to drive it with the glass top removed...and I absolutely hate
getting out of the darn thing....

IF I were a HUGE FAN of C4's... I would be looking for a Grand Sport
over a used C5 or a new C6... because I honestly think they are the
only "collectable" C4 ..period.! And as such would cost less to own
and enjoy over the years ..

My comments reflect my situation and my "desires" and as such are
offered only as food for your thoughts...

Bob Griffiths

Old January 28th 05, 02:37 AM
Dad

"Bob G." > wrote in message
<Snip<

> I own 5 Corvettes...64-72-76-79 & a 95 ...and am looking for just the
> right USED C5 to add to my "fleet"...mostly for the reasons Dad
> stated...plus they are a hell of a lot cheaper...since I am not
> planning on selling any of my current cars.... IF I had to sell one
> it would be a tough call between the 95 or the 79 (only automatic
> one I own)
>
> I however am NOT a big fan of the C4 ... my 95 is a damn nice car
> and it does all I ask it to do...has been extremely trouble free but I
> refuse to drive it with the glass top removed...and I absolutely hate
> getting out of the darn thing....
>

> IF I were a HUGE FAN of C4's... I would be looking for a Grand Sport
> over a used C5 or a new C6... because I honestly think they are the
> only "collectable" C4 ..period.! And as such would cost less to own
> and enjoy over the years ..
>
> My comments reflect my situation and my "desires" and as such are
> offered only as food for your thoughts...
>
> Bob Griffiths

I have to add one more thing to the C? question, my state/insurance company
changed the classification on the C6 and added about 20% to the premium. The
odd thing is my 98 cost $39k MSRP and the 04 was $53k with a $20 a year
premium increase to jump 7 years. The C6 was $53k MSRP and 1 year move with
a $100 a year jump. I'm sure my insurance company isn't greedy or anything
so it must be the state requirements.

More food for thought, chew on that... ;-]

Old January 28th 05, 10:02 AM
Joel Jacobs

"Bob G." > wrote in message
> On Thu, 27 Jan 2005 10:02:32 -0600, "Joel Jacobs" >
> wrote:
>
>>I am a huge fan of the C4 Corvettes, having owned four of them. My
>>current
>>C4, a '94 has 119,000 miles on it. It runs perfect. Has new Opti and water
>>pump. New plugs and wires, new tires, new Bilsteins. Uses NO oil, runs
>>strong. Looks great - side bolsters are a bit worn.
>>
>>Am seeing C6s discounted several thousands of dollars in various locations
>>around Dallas/Ft. Worth.
>>
>>So, should I just keep my C4 and put 250,000 miles on it, or do I buy a
>>C6?
>>Having both is not a practical option for me.
>>
>>Opinions?
>>
>>Joel Jacobs
>>4th C4 at 63
>>

> ============================
> Read the reply that "Dad" posted... I tend to agree with him
> especially with his comments on the C5 vs C6...
>
> In My case I am retired and while not hurting for money tend to
> keep "costs" in mind... at least until I get my 1st SS check next year
> at which point I may finance a new Corvette and let uncle sam
> pay for the darn thing... (I think it was "Dad" himself who gave me
> this great idea...lol) I always paid cash for my cars...never
> financed a car YET in my life...
>
> I own 5 Corvettes...64-72-76-79 & a 95 ...and am looking for just the
> right USED C5 to add to my "fleet"...mostly for the reasons Dad
> stated...plus they are a hell of a lot cheaper...since I am not
> planning on selling any of my current cars.... IF I had to sell one
> it would be a tough call between the 95 or the 79 (only automatic
> one I own)
>
> I however am NOT a big fan of the C4 ... my 95 is a damn nice car
> and it does all I ask it to do...has been extremely trouble free but I
> refuse to drive it with the glass top removed...and I absolutely hate
> getting out of the darn thing....
>

> IF I were a HUGE FAN of C4's... I would be looking for a Grand Sport
> over a used C5 or a new C6... because I honestly think they are the
> only "collectable" C4 ..period.! And as such would cost less to own
> and enjoy over the years ..
>
> My comments reflect my situation and my "desires" and as such are
> offered only as food for your thoughts...
>
> Bob Griffiths

Thanks for the responses Bob & Dad: I agree with much of what both of you
say, other than buy a Grand Sport - that may be my least favorite Corvette
of all time.

I really care nothing for collector's cars. If I wanted a collector's car
I'd buy a Ferrari; or have kept my first Corvette - a '61 bought new in
'61 - or kept my early (356 series) Porsches.

I do have a lot of seat miles in C5s, but have just never been all that
enamored with their looks. I have, from day one, disliked the look of the
front end. I concede they are much easier to get in and out of than my C4,
and I do appreciate the engineering that went into them. Looks-wise I think
the C4 has it all over the C5. For whatever reason I do like the looks of
the C6. Of course, I like Picasso as well as Botticelli. Does that
cancel one another out?

While I appreciate your comments, it really does go back to my initial
question: keep; my C4, or buy a C6?

Old January 28th 05, 12:15 PM
Mike S

Why are you asking us? You are the only one who knows the answer.

Old January 28th 05, 04:12 PM
Bob G.

>While I appreciate your comments, it really does go back to my initial
>question: keep; my C4, or buy a C6?

Only you can answer that one... depends on just what you
want "from" the car... Mine are all toys ..nothing more

While I always enjoy new toys...I have a few old toys that I love to
play with...

Good Luck...

Bob Griffiths
Old January 28th 05, 05:25 PM
Dad

"Joel Jacobs" > wrote in message
> Thanks for the responses Bob & Dad: I agree with much of what both of you
> say, other than buy a Grand Sport - that may be my least favorite Corvette
> of all time.
>
> I really care nothing for collector's cars. If I wanted a collector's car
> I'd buy a Ferrari; or have kept my first Corvette - a '61 bought new in
> '61 - or kept my early (356 series) Porsches.
>
> I do have a lot of seat miles in C5s, but have just never been all that
> enamored with their looks. I have, from day one, disliked the look of the
> front end. I concede they are much easier to get in and out of than my C4,
> and I do appreciate the engineering that went into them. Looks-wise I
> think the C4 has it all over the C5. For whatever reason I do like the
> looks of the C6. Of course, I like Picasso as well as Botticelli.
> Does that cancel one another out?
>
> While I appreciate your comments, it really does go back to my initial
> question: keep; my C4, or buy a C6?

When the Corvette is at its best with me it's when I'm in the seat driving
it. In that vain there is very little difference in the C6 or the C5 and I
can't see what it looks like from that position. We could answer your
question if you were to buy my C6 and I would go back to a C5, I'd even
drive it down to you and then I could see your gun collection. You can't
beat the present platform so I would op for moving up, but then that's still
your decision.
--
Dad
05 C6 Silver/Red 6spd Z51

PS: Was it Picasso that designed the Porsche? ;-]

Old January 28th 05, 05:47 PM
Joel Jacobs

> PS: Was it Picasso that designed the Porsche? ;-]

Maybe shortly after his "blue period," but before his "rose period," and
certainly prior to cubism.

Thanks again all for your input. I realize it's an almost visceral decision.

At this point I've opted to keep my C4 and spend the money I saved on
hunting in Africa and South America. Maybe next year I'll go through the
same indecision - and could just go to Africa and Argentina again!

Joel

Old January 28th 05, 08:09 PM
Bob I

The Z06 will be available then. :-)

Opinions on the 2002 L100. Rob Saturn 2 December 27th 04 04:53 AM
Tmi Interiors for 74 Beetle any opinions [email protected] VW air cooled 1 December 9th 04 02:23 PM
Experience and opinions on '86 635I The Singers BMW 5 November 29th 04 11:20 AM
Opinions of the 1988 735i ---Should I buy one?? Mark J. Amero BMW 7 November 20th 04 08:47 PM