My 93 Explorer 4.0L V6 4x4 needs an engine - 95 Windstar 3.8L V6 needs a transmission

Old May 2nd 07, 07:47 PM posted to alt.autos.ford,rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer,rec.autos.4x4
Kirk J.

Default My 93 Explorer 4.0L V6 4x4 needs an engine - 95 Windstar 3.8L V6 needs a transmission

Will a 3.8L V6 from a 95 Winstar bolt up to a 93 Explorer 4x4
transmission and will the computer run the 3.8L?

I have $350 in the Explorer and the Winstar is taking up space at
Dad's, he would give it up for a little cash to get rid of it. I am
open to scrapping both vehicles and getting another beater but would
like to get as close as possible to getting the $350 out of the
Explorer. Bought it from my neighbor last week, needed freeze plugs
and a thermostat, replaced it, engine is knocking and appears to have
a bad head gasket.

Even if the swap won't work, I'd like to learn more about the
differences in the two engines.

Thank you for your time,

Kirk

Old May 3rd 07, 03:34 AM posted to alt.autos.ford,rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer,rec.autos.4x4
Ulysses

"Kirk J." > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Will a 3.8L V6 from a 95 Winstar bolt up to a 93 Explorer 4x4
> transmission and will the computer run the 3.8L?
>
> I have $350 in the Explorer and the Winstar is taking up space at
> Dad's, he would give it up for a little cash to get rid of it. I am
> open to scrapping both vehicles and getting another beater but would
> like to get as close as possible to getting the $350 out of the
> Explorer. Bought it from my neighbor last week, needed freeze plugs
> and a thermostat, replaced it, engine is knocking and appears to have
> a bad head gasket.
>
> Even if the swap won't work, I'd like to learn more about the
> differences in the two engines.
>
> Thank you for your time,
>
> Kirk

I don't know about switching engines and transmissions but I'd venture to
guess from what I've read that it would not be easy to get everything to
work even if the engine bolted right in.

How many miles are on the 4.0 V6? Did the previous owner seriously abuse
it? These engines are generally very durable but blown head and intake
manifold gaskets are common. Did you do a compression test?

Old May 3rd 07, 04:04 AM posted to alt.autos.ford,rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer,rec.autos.4x4
trainfan1

Kirk J. wrote:
> Will a 3.8L V6 from a 95 Winstar bolt up to a 93 Explorer 4x4
> transmission

No.

and will the computer run the 3.8L?

No.

> I have $350 in the Explorer and the Winstar is taking up space at
> Dad's, he would give it up for a little cash to get rid of it. I am
> open to scrapping both vehicles and getting another beater but would
> like to get as close as possible to getting the $350 out of the
> Explorer. Bought it from my neighbor last week, needed freeze plugs
> and a thermostat, replaced it, engine is knocking and appears to have
> a bad head gasket.
>
> Even if the swap won't work, I'd like to learn more about the
> differences in the two engines.

4.0 V-6:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Cologne_V6_engine

3.8 V-6:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Es...%28Canadian%29

Rob

Old May 3rd 07, 05:09 AM posted to alt.autos.ford,rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer,rec.autos.4x4
Kirk J.

Not sure if she abused it, may not have changed the oil quite as
frequently as she should have, and ran cheap motor oil in it some. I
ran it hotter than I should have in troubleshooting the cooling
problem, it would fluctuate going up and down every couple minutes, so
blame sits more with me than her. It appears to have a rebuilt
transmission, she said she replaced the radiator and alternator in
late 06, didn't want to put anymore money in it when the freeze plugs
popped. Appears to have a new starter, has new tires. I hate to
scrap it, but haven't really done any engine work before, only minor
repair. I guess I'll start looking for an engine, might trade the
Winstar for a good motor. I have friends that have done engine work
who would help me do the R&R. I'll pick up a compression test kit
this weekend.

Thanks for responding.

Old May 3rd 07, 05:39 PM posted to alt.autos.ford,rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer,rec.autos.4x4
Ulysses

"Kirk J." > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Not sure if she abused it, may not have changed the oil quite as
> frequently as she should have, and ran cheap motor oil in it some. I
> ran it hotter than I should have in troubleshooting the cooling
> problem, it would fluctuate going up and down every couple minutes, so
> blame sits more with me than her. It appears to have a rebuilt
> transmission, she said she replaced the radiator and alternator in
> late 06, didn't want to put anymore money in it when the freeze plugs
> popped. Appears to have a new starter, has new tires. I hate to
> scrap it, but haven't really done any engine work before, only minor
> repair. I guess I'll start looking for an engine, might trade the
> Winstar for a good motor. I have friends that have done engine work
> who would help me do the R&R. I'll pick up a compression test kit
> this weekend.
>
> Thanks for responding.

I'm a fairly handy guy but I'm no auto mechanic and I've managed to
sucessfully replace the intake manifold gaskets on two Explorers plus a lot
of other stuff simply by following the instructions in the Hayne's manual.
I labeled EVERYTHING the first time but the second time I didn't need to.
If you have low compression on only one or on two adjoining cylinders and
loss of coolant it might just be a blown head gasket. Intake manifolds can
leak internally and coolant getting in your engine might make it run rough.

The temperature fluctuation also sounds like it could be a blown head
gasket. I put some stop-leak that supposedly will fix a leaking head gasket
or cracked head and got an almost immediate improvement but I'd hesitate to
use more than about 1/4 of the can of stop-leak or you might end up with
other problems. In any case it indicated to me that it's worth fixing. The
thermostats on these engines fail regularly but from what you said yours
might be working.

Good luck doing the comprssion test as the two spark plugs on the passenger
side near the rear are a bitch to get to. You may have to go through the
wheel well to get the one in the back. A selection of different size socket
extensions helps.