differential fluid

Old February 21st 05, 05:35 PM
stevett

Default differential fluid

I have an 03 Tundra with 4WD TRD off road and Limited Slip Differential
which requires special differential fluid. If plain differential fluid was
added to my truck what are the dangers, if any?

SteveT

Old February 22nd 05, 01:39 AM

No dangers but the limited slip will slip... special diff fluids
provide some friction additives which will help the slip not slip as
much. Use these and dont worry ..

Slips wear out over time ... then you canuse whatever you want.

Matt

Old February 22nd 05, 10:30 PM
Peter D. Hipson

Uh, Mike, that didn't make sense. I know of no gear oil that has (by
default) the additive (like ATF, the additive is 'supposed' to be
different for different makes)! I use Lucas oils, and am happy with
them, no additive that I know of...

But, I will look again to see what is out there. Maybe things have
changed, and I didn't notice. You are usually knowledgeable, so it is
worth looking into.

Old February 23rd 05, 01:04 AM
Mike Romain

I know, I had everything drained and went to the stores and couldn't get
a gear oil without the 'friction modifier' already added in and I was on
my way for a 10 day bush run the next morning....

****ed me right off, but the semi synthetic seems to work ok in the T5
tranny and the rear and front ends didn't mind the stuff with the
additive I hope....

Mike

Old February 25th 05, 08:22 AM
Rick Colombo

The LSD additive will NOT hurt hypoid gears, how could it? Any diff,
with or w/o LSD still has a ring and pinion gear, not to mention
bearings. The friction modifier only works on the clutch pack, nothing
else is affected. -PapaRick

-----------------

Old February 25th 05, 01:53 PM
Mike Romain

My Tranny is the Borg Warner World Class T5 with something fancy called
synchromesh in it.....

The only gear oils I could find were GL4 + GL5 'compatible' with the
additive.

It will NOT shift gears using that oil without jamming and grinding.

My main point was I couldn't find any oil without the additive, the OP
was having the opposite issues I believe.

Mike

Old February 25th 05, 09:38 PM
Bret Chase

On Fri, 25 Feb 2005 08:53:12 -0500, Mike Romain >
wrote:

>:|My Tranny is the Borg Warner World Class T5 with something fancy called
>:|synchromesh in it.....
>:|
>:|The only gear oils I could find were GL4 + GL5 'compatible' with the
>:|additive.
>:|
>:|It will NOT shift gears using that oil without jamming and grinding.
>:|
>:|My main point was I couldn't find any oil without the additive, the OP
>:|was having the opposite issues I believe.
>:|
>:|Mike
>:|
>:|Rick Colombo wrote:
>:|>
>:|> The LSD additive will NOT hurt hypoid gears, how could it? Any diff,
>:|> with or w/o LSD still has a ring and pinion gear, not to mention
>:|> bearings. The friction modifier only works on the clutch pack, nothing
>:|> else is affected. -PapaRick
>:|>
>:|> -----------------
>:|>
>:|> Mike Romain wrote:
>:|> > I know, I had everything drained and went to the stores and couldn't get
>:|> > a gear oil without the 'friction modifier' already added in and I was on
>:|> > my way for a 10 day bush run the next morning....
>:|> >
>:|> > ****ed me right off, but the semi synthetic seems to work ok in the T5
>:|> > tranny and the rear and front ends didn't mind the stuff with the
>:|> > additive I hope....
>:|> >
>:|> > Mike
>:|> >
>:|> > "Peter D. Hipson" wrote:
>:|> >
>:|> >>Uh, Mike, that didn't make sense. I know of no gear oil that has (by
>:|> >>default) the additive (like ATF, the additive is 'supposed' to be
>:|> >>different for different makes)! I use Lucas oils, and am happy with
>:|> >>them, no additive that I know of...
>:|> >>
>:|> >>But, I will look again to see what is out there. Maybe things have
>:|> >>changed, and I didn't notice. You are usually knowledgeable, so it is
>:|> >>worth looking into.
>:|> >>
>:|> >>On Tue, 22 Feb 2005 11:12:31 -0500, Mike Romain >
>:|> >>wrote:
>:|> >>
>:|> >>
>:|> >>>Although if you can find freaking gear oil without the damn limited slip
>:|> >>>additive, let us know will ya? I looked in all the auto stores around
>:|> >>>here and only could find a 'semi-synthetic' that didn't have the
>:|> >>>additive. My Tranny uses 'plain' gear oil and short of getting robbed
>:|> >>>at the $tealership it is hard to find.
>:|> >>>

the walmart supertech 75w-90 GL5 doesn't have any friction modifiers
in it, IIRC.

hth,
Bret
Old February 25th 05, 10:31 PM
Steve W.

"Bret Chase" > wrote in message
news
> [...]

it is
> >:|> >>worth looking into.
> >:|> >>
> >:|> >>On Tue, 22 Feb 2005 11:12:31 -0500, Mike Romain

> >:|> >>wrote:
> >:|> >>
> >:|> >>
> >:|> >>>Although if you can find freaking gear oil without the damn

limited slip
> >:|> >>>additive, let us know will ya? I looked in all the auto

stores around
> >:|> >>>here and only could find a 'semi-synthetic' that didn't have

the
> >:|> >>>additive. My Tranny uses 'plain' gear oil and short of

getting robbed
> >:|> >>>at the $tealership it is hard to find.
> >:|> >>>

> the walmart supertech 75w-90 GL5 doesn't have any friction modifiers

That would be Valvoline oil.

Old February 25th 05, 10:34 PM
Mike Romain

Bret Chase wrote:

> [...]
> >:|> >>But, I will look again to see what is out there. Maybe things have
> >:|> >>changed, and I didn't notice. You are usually knowledgeable, so it is
> >:|> >>worth looking into.
> >:|> >>
> >:|> >>On Tue, 22 Feb 2005 11:12:31 -0500, Mike Romain >
> >:|> >>wrote:
> >:|> >>
> >:|> >>
> >:|> >>>Although if you can find freaking gear oil without the damn limited slip
> >:|> >>>additive, let us know will ya? I looked in all the auto stores around
> >:|> >>>here and only could find a 'semi-synthetic' that didn't have the
> >:|> >>>additive. My Tranny uses 'plain' gear oil and short of getting robbed
> >:|> >>>at the $tealership it is hard to find.
> >:|> >>>

> the walmart supertech 75w-90 GL5 doesn't have any friction modifiers

Thanks, I ended up with a semi synthetic GL4 that works nice. Should do
me for a few years or until the next leak.

Mike
Old February 27th 05, 07:53 PM
Rick Colombo

My '76 CJ-7 had syncro in 1st gear (Tremac T-15), is that different than
B-W T5 w/ syncro? Is this in your Jeep? (Btw, if you think syncromesh
gears is something fancy, you're a heck of a lot older than I thought.)
-PapaRick