Best tires?

Old April 10th 10, 09:13 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Vic Klein

Default Best tires?

Our 2008 Mountaineer Premier needs new tires. The current 235/65R18
Michelins (not the LTX series) are remarkably worn at just under 30K miles.
Because of the amazing results I have had with the Michelin LTX M/S tires on
my '97 Explorer I was looking to get those, but had some sticker shock when
I saw the price for the 18" size is almost double what I paid for the
30x9.5R15 tires on the Explorer. Questions:

1. Is the LTX M/S still thought of as the best (traction and very long
life...almost 100K on the Explorer)?

2. The only 18" option in the LTX M/S is the 245/60R18. Same overall tire
diameter, is that width OK on the stock wheel?

=Vic=

Old April 11th 10, 04:48 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Jim Warman

I've been an LTX M/S kinda guy for many years.... last full set I bought I
just grit my teeth and took it like a man 8^)

Other tires that I have been impressed with include the Hankook Z36....
these tires (as I recall) cleaned the tread nicely in snow and could
withstand the sharp gravel we had on the roads around Fox Creek, Alberta.

You should be good to go with that tire size on your stock rims... these are
an LT rated tire and not a P rated tire, right?

Old April 16th 10, 09:28 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
[email protected]

"Vic Klein" > wrote in
:

> Our 2008 Mountaineer Premier needs new tires. The current 235/65R18
> Michelins (not the LTX series) are remarkably worn at just under 30K
> miles. Because of the amazing results I have had with the Michelin LTX
> M/S tires on my '97 Explorer I was looking to get those, but had some
> sticker shock when I saw the price for the 18" size is almost double
> what I paid for the 30x9.5R15 tires on the Explorer. Questions:
>
> 1. Is the LTX M/S still thought of as the best (traction and very long
> life...almost 100K on the Explorer)?
>
> 2. The only 18" option in the LTX M/S is the 245/60R18. Same overall
> tire diameter, is that width OK on the stock wheel?
>
> =Vic=

2002 Mountaineer AWD V8 here. I love my Bridgestone Dueler Revo's. Best
tire I've every had as far as traction in snow, ice, boat ramps, while
still being very street-worthy. Haven't worn them out yet at 50K. Only
downside is that they are a little noisier than stock. Take a look. If
you do, make sure they are the "Revo" model. Duelers without Revo are
totally different.
Old April 16th 10, 07:06 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Mikepier

On Apr 10, 4:13*pm, "Vic Klein" > wrote:
> Our 2008 Mountaineer Premier needs new tires. The current 235/65R18
> Michelins (not the LTX series) are remarkably worn at just under 30K miles.
> Because of the amazing results I have had with the Michelin LTX M/S tires on
> my '97 Explorer I was looking to get those, but had some sticker shock when
> I saw the price for the 18" size is almost double what I paid for the
> 30x9.5R15 tires on the Explorer. Questions:
>
> 1. Is the LTX M/S still thought of as the best (traction and very long
> life...almost 100K on the Explorer)?
>
> 2. The only 18" option in the LTX M/S is the 245/60R18. Same overall tire
> diameter, is that width OK on the stock wheel?
>
> =Vic=

You might have the Cross Terrains. One thing to remember is that the
OEM tires you got with the truck is not the same as tires you buy in
the store. The car companies buy those tires in bulk, and they are
manufactured differently. And plus I don't think OEM tires are
covered under warranty. So you will get different results with new
tires. In fact, the new Cross Terrains have a 65,000 mile warranty.
Old June 10th 10, 03:12 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Richard[_18_]

On Apr 16, 2:06*pm, Mikepier > wrote:
> On Apr 10, 4:13*pm, "Vic Klein" > wrote:
>
> > Our 2008 Mountaineer Premier needs new tires. The current 235/65R18
> > Michelins (not the LTX series) are remarkably worn at just under 30K miles.
> > Because of the amazing results I have had with the Michelin LTX M/S tires on
> > my '97 Explorer I was looking to get those, but had some sticker shock when
> > I saw the price for the 18" size is almost double what I paid for the
> > 30x9.5R15 tires on the Explorer. Questions:

> > 1. Is the LTX M/S still thought of as the best (traction and very long
> > life...almost 100K on the Explorer)?

> > 2. The only 18" option in the LTX M/S is the 245/60R18. Same overall tire
> > diameter, is that width OK on the stock wheel?

> > =Vic=

> You might have the Cross Terrains. One thing to remember is that the
> OEM tires you got with the truck is not the same as tires you buy in
> the store. The car companies buy those tires in bulk, and they are
> manufactured differently. *And plus I don't think OEM tires are
> covered under warranty. So you will get different results with new
> tires. In fact, the new Cross Terrains have a 65,000 mile warranty.

My '03 still has the stock Cross terrains @ 60k miles. I have a
few miles left on them so maybe I will get 70k. I like them and they
ride smooth enough.
However I have the LT M/S on my '01 F150 SuperCrew and now have
106k on the them. My tire guy says I have about 25k or so left
because they still have pretty deep tread. The original Generals
lasted 75K and the replacement Generals lasted 70k,

OEM Tires, Optional OEM tires, and totally off-the-wall tires Hachiroku $B%O%A%m%/(B Technology 68 September 12th 07 03:08 AM
Winter drivinng: FWD and RWD with snow tires vs. AWD with all-season tires - what people who have done the tests say GRL BMW 27 February 26th 06 06:27 PM
FS: 5'er Snow Tires: Wheels and Tires Nik BMW 5 December 16th 05 12:36 AM
Quiet tires=soft tires? Frank Honda 8 March 16th 05 07:40 PM
Winter tires vs offroad tires. Goldhawk 4x4 5 January 5th 05 09:34 PM