Spark Plugs??

Old July 30th 05, 04:25 AM
Branden Nelsen

Default Spark Plugs??

I'm wanting to change the spark plugs in my 99' 528i as I recently got the
car and not sure when it was last done. I pulled one out today and it has
"Bosch Platinum +4"'s in it currently, I'm not sure if these are BMW
installed or after market. Would you guys suggest replacing them with same
said plug? or is there a better plug to buy for that car? or a better
recommended one?

Thank You
-Branden

Old July 30th 05, 06:11 AM
Ted

http://www.bavauto.com/shop.asp?HC1=...=1999&HCM=528i

Old July 30th 05, 06:14 AM
Sharkman540i

do not use platinum in a bmw.... crap!

Old July 30th 05, 09:21 AM
anon

BKR6EK up to 99'
BKR6EQUP from 99' onwards.
These are the correct fitment for this model NGK plugs,
Neither are platinum, so dont waste your money fitting an expensive plug
which isnt designed for the car.
Regards.
Steve.

Old July 30th 05, 01:01 PM
Malt_Hound

Branden Nelsen wrote:
> I'm wanting to change the spark plugs in my 99' 528i as I recently got the
> car and not sure when it was last done. I pulled one out today and it has
> "Bosch Platinum +4"'s in it currently, I'm not sure if these are BMW
> installed or after market. Would you guys suggest replacing them with same
> said plug? or is there a better plug to buy for that car? or a better
> recommended one?
>
> Thank You
> -Branden

As others have said, you really don't need (or want) to use platinum
plugs on your car. Folks use Bosch (original equipment) or NGK plugs
with about equal success and they both work fine and cost less than the
+4's.

-Fred W
Old July 30th 05, 06:18 PM
Blake Dodson

Boy oh boy!

I installed +4 Bosch in my 3.5 and it runs better than ever. I even
have buddies with turbo charged cars and platinum is ALL they will use.

Some people have issues with plugs other than "originals", however I
have not. Some older cars had resistor wires and non resistor plugs.
Then one day the owner switches to resistor plugs and then notices a
drop in top-end performance or poor idle.

Bimmers run lean and switching to a plug with a more intense spark can
cause undesireable running as mentioned above. Why do people buy
Platinum? Usually for performance right? That means that you are going
to drive harder thus increasing combustion temperatures on a
lean-burning, air-leak prone engine.

When going Platinum first make sure you have no air-leaks, install a
better coil, and fer gosh sakes choose a plug that is one heat range
cooler than stock.

On my 85 635 I got a bit more performance and improved my idle by
making a simple adjustment to my ECU. In the ECU is a rotary switch
that adjusts timing and fuel injector pulse width. I increased pulse
width +2% and I have never been happier.

Anyone want my old Silbers?
DieInterim

Old August 1st 05, 10:46 AM
anon

Why do people buy
> Platinum? Usually for performance right?

Actually platinum plugs are designed to last longer since the platinum tip
is les likely to burn out,
Intervals between replacing platinum plugs are generally twice sometimes 3
times the mileage simply because they will outlast regular plugs.
performance is neglegable since they will both provide a spark strong enough
to do its job as long as they are in good condition.
Steve.

Old August 1st 05, 11:50 AM
Malt_Hound

anon wrote:
> Why do people buy
>
>>Platinum? Usually for performance right?

> Actually platinum plugs are designed to last longer since the platinum tip
> is les likely to burn out,
> Intervals between replacing platinum plugs are generally twice sometimes 3
> times the mileage simply because they will outlast regular plugs.
> performance is neglegable since they will both provide a spark strong enough
> to do its job as long as they are in good condition.

Yes, that is the "performance" I was alluding to; Spark plug
performance. I certainly did not intend to infer that the engine would
produce more or less power due to the brand or type of spark plug.

But the reality of the Bosch +4's is that they do not provide that kind
of longevity increase when used in cars not specifically designed for
them, at least not in my experience. That's why I use the standard
plugs specified. They are cheaper and when replaced on schedule have
never caused any problems.

-Fred W
Old August 1st 05, 03:08 PM
Branden Nelsen

Thank you all for the replies. From what im getting here is that these plugs
wont really do much for the engine at all. These are the plugs that were in
there from when I bought the car and last I knew they were changed with the
service 2 over 100,000mi ago. Is there a plug that you all recommend to work
with my 528i? If it makes a difference I have about 173,000mi on the car.

-Branden

Old August 2nd 05, 01:12 PM
anon

"Branden Nelsen" > wrote in message
> Thank you all for the replies. From what im getting here is that these

plugs
> wont really do much for the engine at all. These are the plugs that were

in
> there from when I bought the car and last I knew they were changed with

the
> service 2 over 100,000mi ago. Is there a plug that you all recommend to

work
> with my 528i? If it makes a difference I have about 173,000mi on the car.
>
> -Branden
>

> "Branden Nelsen" > wrote in message
> > I'm wanting to change the spark plugs in my 99' 528i as I recently got

the
> > car and not sure when it was last done. I pulled one out today and it

has
> > "Bosch Platinum +4"'s in it currently, I'm not sure if these are BMW
> > installed or after market. Would you guys suggest replacing them with

same
> > said plug? or is there a better plug to buy for that car? or a better
> > recommended one?
> >
> > Thank You
> > -Branden

As previously posted the "correct" plug for this engine if your going down
the NGK route (which i always use on every engine i service unless
instructed not to) is:

BKR6EK up to 1999
BKR6EQUP from 1999 onwards.

Applogies to Malt-hound for confusion regarding "performance" description.

Steve.

Question Platium Spark Plugs Jason Honda 20 May 23rd 05 06:36 AM
Opinion - Spark plugs for '98 3.0 Voyager Ken Peterson Chrysler 24 March 20th 05 02:04 AM
Spark Plugs for 93 SL1 SOHC Gary Compton Saturn 3 July 18th 04 12:33 PM
spark plugs condition newsgroup Saturn 2 July 11th 04 09:08 PM
How to change spark plugs on Ford Contour V6? Jian General 0 January 21st 04 04:45 AM