Hit & Skip

Old June 8th 05, 02:14 AM
teem

Default Hit & Skip

Well,started the week off sweetly,on the way to work,-partly
interstate driving,that's where i got nailed-some s.o.b.decided I was
going too slow in the fast lane,which no one uses correctly in
Ohio,went around me,then cut me off,my front passenger side smashed
with his rear driver side,of course the aggresive hilljack was driving
a black chevy pick up.Anyway,the damage was remarkably light,just alot
of rubber rub on the tire rim & fender,when that prick hiy me,i
thought the car would be all wrinkled,he hit me when we going 65.I
guess Saturns plastic fender saved me,I'm having a body shop guy try
to rub/buff out the black rubber tomorrow,the only majorous damage
other than the body,the pass. mirror glass was knocked out.
Old June 8th 05, 03:03 AM
Ratbert

teem wrote:
> some s.o.b.decided I was going too
> slow in the fast lane,which no one uses correctly in Ohio

Yeah, we have rolling road blocks in California, too. I hope both of
you got tickets.
Old June 8th 05, 06:05 AM
MR

I agree with Ratbert.
"Rolling Roadblocks" are a pain in the butt.
Without more info though, I wouldn't be able to tell who's fault it was.
You, teem, are the 2nd person I have heard that uses the term "Fast
Lane", which actually makes me think you are the one that doesn't use it
correctly.
That left-hand lane is called the "Passing Lane"; You 'pass' people in
that lane, you don't drive 'fast' in it.
If you really want to be technical, all lanes are fast lanes.

Usually it doesn't bother me much if someone does it, because I'm hardly
in a hurry to get to my destination.
I figure it's happening for a reason, like some sort of divine intervention.
It only gets annoying when that driver doesn't give a crap at being
courteous and driving safe, so they 'stay' in the passing lane.

I'll say too, for your description of the hit, it seemed like it would
be worse than what really happened, so I'm glad it wasn't major damage.

Old June 8th 05, 12:28 PM
SMacIntyre

I truly believe if everyone would adhere to the basic rule of "Stay to the
right except to pass" that it would eliminate 80%of the aggression seen on
the roads. People get ****ed off and aggressive because of a-holes who
believe who putz in the left lane. I ALMOST have no problem with people if
they do want to cruise in the left at the speed limit, IF they drive with
their rear-view mirror and when they see someone coming up of them, move
over and let them through.

I think I'm going to make bumper stickers that read:

"If I'm passing you on the right, YOUR WRONG!!"

Hey - add your own and maybe I'll get 'em made!

BTW Teem - How (apparently in Ohio) is one supposed to use the left hand
lane "correctly"? Were you passing anyone at the time? If not, YOUR
WRONG!!

Scott

Old June 8th 05, 04:07 PM
Ron Herfurth

"MR" > wrote in message
> I agree with Ratbert.
> "Rolling Roadblocks" are a pain in the butt.
> Without more info though, I wouldn't be able to tell who's fault it was.
> You, teem, are the 2nd person I have heard that uses the term "Fast
> Lane", which actually makes me think you are the one that doesn't use it
> correctly.
> That left-hand lane is called the "Passing Lane"; You 'pass' people in
> that lane, you don't drive 'fast' in it.
> If you really want to be technical, all lanes are fast lanes.
>
> Usually it doesn't bother me much if someone does it, because I'm hardly
> in a hurry to get to my destination.
> I figure it's happening for a reason, like some sort of divine

intervention.
> It only gets annoying when that driver doesn't give a crap at being
> courteous and driving safe, so they 'stay' in the passing lane.
>
> I'll say too, for your description of the hit, it seemed like it would
> be worse than what really happened, so I'm glad it wasn't major damage.
>

> Ratbert wrote:

I don't call it the fast lane or passing lane, it's just another lane to
handle the traffic. Around here the right lane just seems to have more
potholes and rough spots so I stay left. The folklore here is that you can
drive 5 mph over the limit and you won't get ticketed (some say its 9 mph
but I don't have the guts to test that theory). So if someone is in the
left lane doing 5 mph over, the right lane is full of cars doing a bit less
than the limit, and a guy comes up in the left doing 20 over the limit, is
the guy doing 5 over in the left lane obligated to get out of the way of a
law breaker? I don't see that someone doing 5 over is causing a roadblock.

ron

Old June 8th 05, 05:36 PM
Steve

"Ron Herfurth" > wrote in message

> "MR" > wrote in message
>> I agree with Ratbert.
>> "Rolling Roadblocks" are a pain in the butt.
>> Without more info though, I wouldn't be able to tell who's fault it was.
>> You, teem, are the 2nd person I have heard that uses the term "Fast
>> Lane", which actually makes me think you are the one that doesn't use it
>> correctly.
>> That left-hand lane is called the "Passing Lane"; You 'pass' people in
>> that lane, you don't drive 'fast' in it.
>> If you really want to be technical, all lanes are fast lanes.
>>
>> Usually it doesn't bother me much if someone does it, because I'm hardly
>> in a hurry to get to my destination.
>> I figure it's happening for a reason, like some sort of divine >
>> intervention.
>> It only gets annoying when that driver doesn't give a crap at being
>> courteous and driving safe, so they 'stay' in the passing lane.
>>
>> <snip>
>>
>> Ratbert wrote:

> I don't call it the fast lane or passing lane, it's just another lane to
> handle the traffic. Around here the right lane just seems to have more
> potholes and rough spots so I stay left. The folklore here is that you can
> drive 5 mph over the limit and you won't get ticketed (some say its 9 mph
> but I don't have the guts to test that theory). So if someone is in the
> left lane doing 5 mph over, the right lane is full of cars doing a bit
> less
> than the limit, and a guy comes up in the left doing 20 over the limit, is
> the guy doing 5 over in the left lane obligated to get out of the way of a
> law breaker? I don't see that someone doing 5 over is causing a roadblock.
>
> ron

My view is that I'm not a cop, so I don't get to decide whether it's
appropriate for someone to be doing more than the speed limit. Maybe s/he
has an injured passenger and is on the way to the hospital. So I feel I
should get out of the way if I'm in the passing lane. OTOH, I am
sympathetic with the view that accommodating someone breaking the law is not
your obligation.
Passing on the right, as the teem's experience shows, is dangerous and
should be avoided. The truck's driver (the one that hit teem) should, IMHO,
have first tried to get teem to move over to the right. In fact, in
Connecticut (last I checked), passing on the right is strictly forbidden.

Old June 8th 05, 08:18 PM
Brian Talley

On Wed, 08 Jun 2005 01:14:20 +0000, teem wrote:

> Well,started the week off sweetly,on the way to work,-partly
> interstate driving,that's where i got nailed-some s.o.b.decided I was
> going too slow in the fast lane

That's the problem right there. It's the passing lane. Learn road
etiquette: the far left lane is for *passing*. If someone comes up behind
you, you are obliged to get out of the way (speed up or move over).

Too many people have this "I'm going XX which should be fast enough for
anybody. That jerk needs to slow down."

Wrong!

> ,which no one uses correctly in
> Ohio,went around me,then cut me off,my front passenger side smashed with
> his rear driver side,of course the aggresive hilljack was driving a
> black chevy pick up.

It sounds as though you were wrong to block the passing lane. But hitting
another vehicle is also pretty stupid.

Brian

Old June 8th 05, 08:19 PM
Brian Talley

Get on the Garden State Parkway in NJ and let me know how that works for
you.

Old June 8th 05, 08:21 PM
Brian Talley

On Wed, 08 Jun 2005 07:28:15 -0400, SMacIntyre wrote:

> I truly believe if everyone would adhere to the basic rule of "Stay to the
> right except to pass" that it would eliminate 80%of the aggression seen on
> the roads. People get ****ed off and aggressive because of a-holes who
> believe who putz in the left lane. I ALMOST have no problem with people if
> they do want to cruise in the left at the speed limit, IF they drive with
> their rear-view mirror and when they see someone coming up of them, move
> over and let them through.
>
> I think I'm going to make bumper stickers that read:
>
> "If I'm passing you on the right, YOUR WRONG!!"

How 'bout "YOU'RE WRONG"? Otherwise, the grammar police will get you.

Old June 8th 05, 08:26 PM
Brian Talley

On Wed, 08 Jun 2005 11:07:04 -0400, Ron Herfurth wrote:

> I don't call it the fast lane or passing lane, it's just another lane to
> handle the traffic.

And this helps illustrate just how bad driver's education is. At least in
the U.S., which, I (perhaps wrongly) presume is the country from which
you're driving.

The left-most lane is, in fact, the passing lane. Certainly, in most
congested areas, it accommodates traffic as do the other two or three
lanes to the right, but it is *supposed* to be used for passing slower
vehicles.

> Around here the right lane just seems to have more
> potholes and rough spots so I stay left.

You *could* put in a call to your local town/city supervisors and ask them
to fix the problem.

> The folklore here is that you can
> drive 5 mph over the limit and you won't get ticketed (some say its 9
> mph but I don't have the guts to test that theory).

Oh dear....

> So if someone is in
> the left lane doing 5 mph over, the right lane is full of cars doing a
> bit less than the limit, and a guy comes up in the left doing 20 over
> the limit, is the guy doing 5 over in the left lane obligated to get out
> of the way of a law breaker?

YES! MOVE THE **** OVER! WHO THE HELL ARE YOU TO PASS JUDGMENT ON THE
OTHER DRIVER? If you were in another lane, you wouldn't find anyone else
on your tail. Why do you think that is, hmmm?

> I don't see that someone doing 5 over is
> causing a roadblock.

That's probably because you ARE the roadblock. I can't stand 'em.