lots o crankin before starting

Old September 1st 07, 08:35 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Ed White[_2_]

Default lots o crankin before starting

"Jerry" > wrote in message
>I was just thinking about that. I believe the answer is- never.

Well if nothing else this make the pump work harder. With that kind of
mileage you should have replaced it at least 4 times.

Ed

Old September 2nd 07, 06:55 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
AS

What I think is happening and the reason I asked about the filter:

With a clogged filter, the pump will have a harder time pressurizing the
fuel rail etc. thus requiring more time to do so. Once pressurized,
normally the pump will be able to keep up unless the filter is so
clogged that the car will starve when there is high fuel consumption
(high speed, full throttle)

The reason why the turning on and off works is because every time you do
so, the pump energizes for a few seconds thus allowing the system to
reach the working pressure.

Go for the filter before you do anything else. Turn the car on and
remove the fuel pump relay, let the car die, this to release the fuel
pump pressure. Then replace the fuel filter.

Good luck!

Old September 2nd 07, 08:18 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
CDW6212R

> GUEST wrote:
> I've got a 99 XLT with 4.0L SOHC engine with 137K miles. For quite

some
> time now it takes several seconds or more of cranking before the

engine
> starts. When it does starts it sometimes stumbles until I press the

gas
> pedal once or twice. After that it idles and runs fine. The

cranking is
> fast, not slow like with a battery that's going bad. It doesn't

seem to
> matter whether the engine hot or cold (at least as cold as it can

get
> here in Phoenix).
>
> Since the problem started I've replaced the battery (which WAS

going
> bad) and the plugs and wires. No change. Any suggestions on where

> look next?

Hello, I have a 99 Limited which I finished
rebuilding in February. It had had an issue like that since about the
third week that I started it.

Mine turned out to be the fuel pump "assembly", which
includes the pump, regulator, and two rubber hoses. I believe that
one of the hoses was leaking pressure.

I hunted for a vacuum leak for a long time. The truck was drivable but
had less power than it should, plus the key on, key off three times to
start it. I finally checked the pressure last month, I had 55psi at
idle, and it dropped to 50psi with some throttle.

I bought an eBay pump assembly for $38 total, and dropped the tank to
swap it in. I have 62psi now, and no drop in pressure with any
throttle. I noticed a slight slit in the side of one of my old fuel
pump rubber lines, that likely was my trouble.

The pump is over $100 new, the regulator was $75 or more, and the
hoses are high pressure injection type. I recommend that you test the
fuel pressure, and plan for any of the three items to be the problem.
I didn't want to pull the tank out and not be ready with a different
pump, regulator, and hoses. Thus I got a whole different assembly.
Good luck,

Old September 2nd 07, 09:14 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
newman

Had a similar problem with my 2000 5.0 V8. Dealer replaced fuel pump.
Fortunately, I had extended warranty.

Old September 3rd 07, 01:14 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Jerry[_2_]

Finally went back through my records and found that I did have the F/F
replaced about a year (8K miles) ago when I had some other work done. I
remembered having the other stuff done and forgot the filter. So we're
probably back to check valve.

After a number of stops today I can say that if it sits for 10 or 15
minutes it still start right away. An hour requires some extra cranking.
An on/off or two and it always starts right away.

I'm working on getting the fuel level down and will probably take it in
on Friday.

Old September 3rd 07, 08:01 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
CDW6212R

> GUEST wrote:
> I've got a 99 XLT with 4.0L SOHC engine with 137K miles. For quite

some
> time now it takes several seconds or more of cranking before the

engine
> starts. When it does starts it sometimes stumbles until I press the

gas
> pedal once or twice. After that it idles and runs fine. The

cranking is
> fast, not slow like with a battery that's going bad. It doesn't

seem to
> matter whether the engine hot or cold (at least as cold as it can

get
> here in Phoenix).
>
> Since the problem started I've replaced the battery (which WAS

going
> bad) and the plugs and wires. No change. Any suggestions on where

> look next?

That sounds less like a fuel pump or regulator,
but do have them start with a fuel pressure test. Good luck,