removing leather from '91 steering wheel

Old March 22nd 07, 12:51 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
David

Default removing leather from '91 steering wheel

The leather has badly disintegrated over time. Anyone know if it's just the
standard plastic wheel underneath? Thanks!

Old March 23rd 07, 02:57 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Old Mechanic

On Mar 21, 7:51 pm, "David" > wrote:
> The leather has badly disintegrated over time. Anyone know if it's just the
> standard plastic wheel underneath? Thanks!

I'd go with the cover also. My '91 is an Eddie Bower and under the
leather is some form of black gel. Over time it started oozing out of
the stitching but the leather started looking bad years before. A $4
cover from wal-mart works quite nicely. If it wasn't for the flaking
paint and rusted out rocker panels I might have splurged and got the
$8 cover.

JG

Old March 24th 07, 08:37 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
David

"Old Mechanic" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> On Mar 21, 7:51 pm, "David" > wrote:
>> The leather has badly disintegrated over time. Anyone know if it's just
>> the
>> standard plastic wheel underneath? Thanks!

> I'd go with the cover also. My '91 is an Eddie Bower and under the
> leather is some form of black gel. Over time it started oozing out of
> the stitching but the leather started looking bad years before. A $4
> cover from wal-mart works quite nicely. If it wasn't for the flaking
> paint and rusted out rocker panels I might have splurged and got the
> $8 cover.
>
> JG

Thanks guys. I noticed the black goo as well.
Guess I'll avoid a bigger mess and get a new cover.

Old March 24th 07, 08:08 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Ulysses

"Old Mechanic" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> On Mar 21, 7:51 pm, "David" > wrote:
> > The leather has badly disintegrated over time. Anyone know if it's just

the
> > standard plastic wheel underneath? Thanks!

> I'd go with the cover also. My '91 is an Eddie Bower and under the
> leather is some form of black gel. Over time it started oozing out of
> the stitching but the leather started looking bad years before. A $4
> cover from wal-mart works quite nicely. If it wasn't for the flaking
> paint and rusted out rocker panels I might have splurged and got the
> $8 cover.
>
> JG

Did the cover stop the black goo? I have to wipe my steering wheel before
each use.

Old March 28th 07, 03:54 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Old Mechanic

On Mar 24, 3:08 pm, "Ulysses" > wrote:
> "Old Mechanic" > wrote in message
>
> oups.com...
>
> > On Mar 21, 7:51 pm, "David" > wrote:
> > > The leather has badly disintegrated over time. Anyone know if it's just

> the
> > > standard plastic wheel underneath? Thanks!

> > I'd go with the cover also. My '91 is an Eddie Bower and under the
> > leather is some form of black gel. Over time it started oozing out of
> > the stitching but the leather started looking bad years before. A $4
> > cover from wal-mart works quite nicely. If it wasn't for the flaking
> > paint and rusted out rocker panels I might have splurged and got the
> > $8 cover.

> > JG

> Did the cover stop the black goo? I have to wipe my steering wheel before
> each use.

Well, first I used the $2.99 variety which has dozens of little holes
and wraps arount the wheel - then you lace it up. It wasn't long
until the goop was coming through the holes and getting on my hands.
Then I got the $8.99 variety that is sort of a U channel. I never got
gooped once I put that one on. It was looking beat after 4 -5 years
and I just replaced it with a similar model. Definately a good way to
resolve this issue - it's either that or replace the whole steering
wheel. Gotta love my '91 EB - even with close to 200K miles and
living a "less than" easy life this thing runs fantasticly. I bought
it 10 years ago with 138K on it and I never even did a tuneup. The AC
still has R12 and will go 5 years without a charge. It does like to
leak fluids but the original engine and automatic trans are still
going strong. I keep driving it and towing with it because if I sold
it, I couldn't get enough to buy a bicycle!

JG

Old March 28th 07, 04:23 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Jerry[_2_]

Old Mechanic wrote:
> On Mar 24, 3:08 pm, "Ulysses" > wrote:
>> "Old Mechanic" > wrote in message
>>
>> oups.com...

>> the
>>> I'd go with the cover also. My '91 is an Eddie Bower and under the
>>> leather is some form of black gel. Over time it started oozing out of
>>> the stitching but the leather started looking bad years before. A $4
>>> cover from wal-mart works quite nicely. If it wasn't for the flaking
>>> paint and rusted out rocker panels I might have splurged and got the
>>> $8 cover.
>>> JG

>> Did the cover stop the black goo? I have to wipe my steering wheel before
>> each use.

> Well, first I used the $2.99 variety which has dozens of little holes
> and wraps arount the wheel - then you lace it up. It wasn't long
> until the goop was coming through the holes and getting on my hands.
> Then I got the $8.99 variety that is sort of a U channel. I never got
> gooped once I put that one on. It was looking beat after 4 -5 years
> and I just replaced it with a similar model. Definately a good way to
> resolve this issue - it's either that or replace the whole steering
> wheel. Gotta love my '91 EB - even with close to 200K miles and
> living a "less than" easy life this thing runs fantasticly. I bought
> it 10 years ago with 138K on it and I never even did a tuneup. The AC
> still has R12 and will go 5 years without a charge. It does like to
> leak fluids but the original engine and automatic trans are still
> going strong. I keep driving it and towing with it because if I sold
> it, I couldn't get enough to buy a bicycle!
>
> JG

I had the same problem on my 99 XLT. I found some black silicone sealing
tape at Cheker Auto and wrapped it around the areas that were leaking.
Then I put one of the cheap lace up perforated covers over that to hold
the tape in place.
Old March 28th 07, 08:51 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Ulysses

"Jerry" > wrote in message
> Old Mechanic wrote:
> > On Mar 24, 3:08 pm, "Ulysses" > wrote:
> >> "Old Mechanic" > wrote in message
> >>
> >> oups.com...

just
> >> the
> >> Did the cover stop the black goo? I have to wipe my steering wheel

before
> >> each use.

> > Well, first I used the $2.99 variety which has dozens of little holes
> > and wraps arount the wheel - then you lace it up. It wasn't long
> > until the goop was coming through the holes and getting on my hands.
> > Then I got the $8.99 variety that is sort of a U channel. I never got
> > gooped once I put that one on. It was looking beat after 4 -5 years
> > and I just replaced it with a similar model. Definately a good way to
> > resolve this issue - it's either that or replace the whole steering
> > wheel. Gotta love my '91 EB - even with close to 200K miles and
> > living a "less than" easy life this thing runs fantasticly. I bought
> > it 10 years ago with 138K on it and I never even did a tuneup. The AC
> > still has R12 and will go 5 years without a charge. It does like to
> > leak fluids but the original engine and automatic trans are still
> > going strong. I keep driving it and towing with it because if I sold
> > it, I couldn't get enough to buy a bicycle!
> >
> > JG
> >

> I had the same problem on my 99 XLT. I found some black silicone sealing
> tape at Cheker Auto and wrapped it around the areas that were leaking.
> Then I put one of the cheap lace up perforated covers over that to hold
> the tape in place.

Black silicone sealing tape eh? Never heard of it. I'll have to look for
some of that.

Old March 28th 07, 08:58 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Ulysses

"Old Mechanic" > wrote in message
ps.com...
> On Mar 24, 3:08 pm, "Ulysses" > wrote:
> > "Old Mechanic" > wrote in message
> >
> > oups.com...

just
> > the

> > > I'd go with the cover also. My '91 is an Eddie Bower and under the
> > > leather is some form of black gel. Over time it started oozing out of
> > > the stitching but the leather started looking bad years before. A $4
> > > cover from wal-mart works quite nicely. If it wasn't for the flaking
> > > paint and rusted out rocker panels I might have splurged and got the
> > > $8 cover.

> > > JG

> > Did the cover stop the black goo? I have to wipe my steering wheel

before
> > each use.

> Well, first I used the $2.99 variety which has dozens of little holes
> and wraps arount the wheel - then you lace it up. It wasn't long
> until the goop was coming through the holes and getting on my hands.
> Then I got the $8.99 variety that is sort of a U channel. I never got
> gooped once I put that one on. It was looking beat after 4 -5 years
> and I just replaced it with a similar model. Definately a good way to
> resolve this issue - it's either that or replace the whole steering
> wheel.

Good tips--thanks!

Gotta love my '91 EB - even with close to 200K miles and
> living a "less than" easy life this thing runs fantasticly. I bought
> it 10 years ago with 138K on it and I never even did a tuneup. The AC
> still has R12 and will go 5 years without a charge. It does like to
> leak fluids but the original engine and automatic trans are still
> going strong. I keep driving it and towing with it because if I sold
> it, I couldn't get enough to buy a bicycle!
>
> JG

My '91 has about 205K on it and runs excellent but I have replaced the spark
plugs and wires a couple of times. I'll bet your plugs are interesting
looking about now. Mine gets put in 4WD often and I use it to drag my
roads. I'm on my second trans...

I've been debating whether I should get my AC recharged or switch it to the
new coolant.

I've had good luck with Lucas Power Steering Stop Leak but no such luck with
the Transmission Fix. Mine is leaking at the shift control lever so it
should be a reasonably easy fix. I think I'll be able to replace the seal
by dropping the pan.

Old March 30th 07, 05:27 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Ulysses

"Ashton Crusher" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 28 Mar 2007 11:58:38 -0800, "Ulysses"
> > wrote:
>

> >"Old Mechanic" > wrote in message
> ups.com...

it's
> >just

of

$4

flaking

the

> >before
> >>
> >> Well, first I used the $2.99 variety which has dozens of little holes
> >> and wraps arount the wheel - then you lace it up. It wasn't long
> >> until the goop was coming through the holes and getting on my hands.
> >> Then I got the $8.99 variety that is sort of a U channel. I never got
> >> gooped once I put that one on. It was looking beat after 4 -5 years
> >> and I just replaced it with a similar model. Definately a good way to
> >> resolve this issue - it's either that or replace the whole steering
> >> wheel.

> >Good tips--thanks!
> >
> >Gotta love my '91 EB - even with close to 200K miles and
> >> living a "less than" easy life this thing runs fantasticly. I bought
> >> it 10 years ago with 138K on it and I never even did a tuneup. The AC
> >> still has R12 and will go 5 years without a charge. It does like to
> >> leak fluids but the original engine and automatic trans are still
> >> going strong. I keep driving it and towing with it because if I sold
> >> it, I couldn't get enough to buy a bicycle!
> >>
> >> JG
> >>

> >My '91 has about 205K on it and runs excellent but I have replaced the

spark
> >plugs and wires a couple of times. I'll bet your plugs are interesting
> >looking about now. Mine gets put in 4WD often and I use it to drag my
> >roads. I'm on my second trans...
> >
> >I've been debating whether I should get my AC recharged or switch it to

the
> >new coolant.
> >

> If you do the work yourself you can buy a nice vacuum pump on ebay for
> $120 and Freeze 12 for about $8 a can (you'll need 2 or 3 of them) and
> you'll probably spend less then to have a shop do it and you'll own
> your own pump when you are done. Oh, you'll need gauges too, about
> $40 on ebay. That's the route I took on my 64 T-bird.

I'm using the new stuff (R134 or whatever it's called) in my '92. ALL of
the R12 had leaked out. My brother-in-law (who's a Lexus mechanic) is the
one who originally put it in there. It seems to work fine but could use
another can of stop-leak. He did not evacuate the system. I'm not
recommending anyone else do this but my b-in-law does seem to be pretty
competent.