Traction Control

Old November 5th 04, 05:56 AM
TF

Default Traction Control

I was told about it and the dealer even had me demo it and it worked fine
there, but not now...maybe.

I was told that with traction control ON, the wheels would not spin and the
back end would not hop.
Well, it does both and I'm lucky there wasn't a cop around or I'd be in jail
in WA state tonight.

I pulled up next to two gorgeous bases in a Z28 and when the light turned, I
tromped it about half pedal.
Damned wheels squeeled quite loudly until I heard them and stopped
immediately.
WA state has a law where you instantly go to jail for squeeling your tires,
a wreckless endangerment code of some sort.

I know it's true because I talked to a guy this happened to once.
He thought they were just going to tell him to settle down, but they
handcuffed him and took him away.

Anyway, over in Oregon, I tried again on a back raod and this time the
wheels started hopping and I stopped immediately.

I am testing the traction control that worked fine before.
Maybe the weather?
Slight moisture in the air and lower temps?
Roads were dry...
I was told the computer should prevent this.

Ideas and experience?

Thanks,
TF

Old November 7th 04, 05:28 AM
Mike Ellison

TF wrote:
> I was told about it and the dealer even had me demo it and it worked fine
> there, but not now...maybe.
>
> I was told that with traction control ON, the wheels would not spin and the
> back end would not hop.
> Well, it does both and I'm lucky there wasn't a cop around or I'd be in jail
> in WA state tonight.
>
> I pulled up next to two gorgeous bases in a Z28 and when the light turned, I
> tromped it about half pedal.
> Damned wheels squeeled quite loudly until I heard them and stopped
> immediately.
> WA state has a law where you instantly go to jail for squeeling your tires,
> a wreckless endangerment code of some sort.
>
> I know it's true because I talked to a guy this happened to once.
> He thought they were just going to tell him to settle down, but they
> handcuffed him and took him away.
>

> Anyway, over in Oregon, I tried again on a back raod and this time the
> wheels started hopping and I stopped immediately.
>
> I am testing the traction control that worked fine before.
> Maybe the weather?
> Slight moisture in the air and lower temps?
> Roads were dry...
> I was told the computer should prevent this.
>
> Ideas and experience?
>
> Thanks,
> TF

Traction control is reactive. If you "unstick" at WOT traction control
will eventually arrest wheel spin, not prevent it. Corvettes are
traction limited--trademark of the breed! And, we love it!
HTH .......... Mike E

Old November 7th 04, 05:28 AM
Mike Ellison

Old November 7th 04, 11:38 AM
TF

> Traction control is reactive. If you "unstick" at WOT traction control
> will eventually arrest wheel spin, not prevent it. Corvettes are
> traction limited--trademark of the breed! And, we love it!

I imagine the 'run flats' accenuate this.
TF

Old November 7th 04, 11:38 AM
TF

Old November 7th 04, 06:08 PM
sbright

Here's an idea for you though.. try putting about 2lbs of air MORE into your
fronts than your rear tires. I had a similar experience and that helped to
correct it. Seems like the fronts were "too sticky" and the backs were
working against them. Car also went sideways sometimes. Sound familiar?

-Stan
2000 Coupe

Old November 7th 04, 06:08 PM
sbright

Old November 7th 04, 07:42 PM
Dad

> "TF" > wrote in message
>>> >
>>> Traction control is reactive. If you "unstick" at WOT traction control
>>> will eventually arrest wheel spin, not prevent it. Corvettes are
>>> traction limited--trademark of the breed! And, we love it!

>> I imagine the 'run flats' accenuate this.
>> TF

TF,

Why would the run flats accentuate that?

--
Dad
05 C6 Silver/Red 6spd Z51

Old November 7th 04, 07:42 PM
Dad

> "TF" > wrote in message
>>> >
>>> Traction control is reactive. If you "unstick" at WOT traction control
>>> will eventually arrest wheel spin, not prevent it. Corvettes are
>>> traction limited--trademark of the breed! And, we love it!

>> I imagine the 'run flats' accenuate this.
>> TF

TF,

Why would the run flats accentuate that?

--
Dad
05 C6 Silver/Red 6spd Z51
72 Shark Black/Black/4spd

E36 Digital Dual Zone Climate Control Repairs Mark D BMW 0 December 7th 04 11:13 PM
1971 Alfa Spider 1750 - Front upper control arm locating washers... SteveC Alfa Romeo 11 December 2nd 04 03:52 PM
URGENT - 1996 740IL Traction Control John Moriarity BMW 2 November 27th 04 06:32 AM
traction control adder BMW 1 November 3rd 04 05:42 PM
Squeaky Control Arms J Koli Audi 7 October 30th 04 04:25 AM